Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: multiple damage flags?  (Read 1405 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
multiple damage flags?
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:39 am »

So... what would happen if you made a weapon like this?

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_FIREWHIP]
[NAME:fire whip:fire whips]
[DAMAGE:20:GORE]
[DAMAGE:25:BURN]
[DAMAGE:15:HEAT]
[WEIGHT:10]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[TWO_HANDED:3]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:3]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[STICK_CHANCE:0]

would it do 20 gore, 25 burn AND 15 heat damage, for a total of 60 damage (and several heat-related owies)? Or would the game blow up/die/close? Or would it only choose one of the damage tokens and use it? Would the choice be random?

The point being that I want to make a sorcerer fortress, using magic instead of melee weapons ("swords" are ranged weapons, called fire staves, which shoot out 'fire spell' ammo), and I want to make spells that do bludgeon AND pierce AND burn damage.

EDIT: what happens if you make a weapon that has several SKILL tokens? Do you get experience in all of them?

Hmm... a weapon that, when you fight with it, causes you to become more proficient in... EVERYTHING!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:53:12 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: multiple damage flags?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:00:16 am »

Pretty sure it'll pick one - the last, I think.  I tried to make fire darts, with BURN and PIERCE, but they didn't work.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:26:36 pm »

Multiples only work with certain tags.
These are not one of them.
It will either error out or pick the first one.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:17:45 pm »

aww. It would be SO much fun to have fire whips that burn and gore your target at the same time.

Umm, which tags DO work with multiples?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:49:10 pm »

I'm sure axes do both slash and blunt damage. Look at what they do for an example.

Unless what I understand about the RAW's are wrongiddy wrong wrong.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:26:13 pm »

I'm sure axes do both slash and blunt damage. Look at what they do for an example.

Unless what I understand about the RAW's are wrongiddy wrong wrong.
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]
[NAME:battle axe:battle axes]
[DAMAGE:110:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:80]
[SKILL:AXE]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]

Both slash and bash eh?
Unless weight is factored in for attacking, which I'm pretty sure it's not.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 07:04:13 pm »

Well, slash chops off limbs and bash knocks things backwards. The swords only chop limbs off and the hammers only knock things back. Axes do both, somehow.

Odd.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 08:09:30 pm »

High enough slash damage will knock things back.  Like so.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:25 pm »

The reason I asked in the first place is that I'm making a sorcerer mod, and I thought it would be cool to have fire spells that use burn and heat simultaneously, and to have construct pets that can bludgeon AND gore foes at the same time. Oh well. I guess I have to settle with fire spells that can only burn.

Maybe I'll put a bunch of alcohol in a passage, have the sorcs shoot fire spells that do heat damage, light the targets on fire, and explode the alcohol. Would it work?

EDIT: I'm almost done raw-ing in the weapons and ammo, so spellcasting is almost up. After that, I need to make constructs (which can be forged; they're pets... hopefully I can make it so only sorcs can have them), sorc-specific leather armor, sure that the spells ACTUALLY WORK, and some super-duper-special metals.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:24:36 pm by shoruke »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 01:37:57 am »

Creatures can have multiple attack/different attack type tags, but not weapons.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:12 am »

The reason I asked in the first place is that I'm making a sorcerer mod, and I thought it would be cool to have fire spells that use burn and heat simultaneously, and to have construct pets that can bludgeon AND gore foes at the same time. Oh well. I guess I have to settle with fire spells that can only burn.

Maybe I'll put a bunch of alcohol in a passage, have the sorcs shoot fire spells that do heat damage, light the targets on fire, and explode the alcohol. Would it work?

EDIT: I'm almost done raw-ing in the weapons and ammo, so spellcasting is almost up. After that, I need to make constructs (which can be forged; they're pets... hopefully I can make it so only sorcs can have them), sorc-specific leather armor, sure that the spells ACTUALLY WORK, and some super-duper-special metals.

Wait you can forge "pets" if you mess around with it? I thought that would be the same as making dwarves via smelting and it wouldnt work. Does it work for you?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:49:58 pm »

At this point in time, you CANNOT make creatures via the smelter. If you attempt to, they will appear as vermin and be completely useless except as a food source.

There's at least one suggestion in the Eternal Suggestion page suggesting this feature, though. I think the title is "allow large creatures to be smelted at a smelter," if anyone still uses that page.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.