Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: LCS 3.12 alpha 5  (Read 5241 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 3.12 alpha 5
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

Oh, by the way, while playing yesterday for several hours and finally making good progress (things were holding moderate and a Congressional election finally saw a very strong majority of moderates with a liberal bias), I abruptly lost due to an unidentified raid.  I thought it was just a routine police raid (because that's all that happened thus far), so I thought "meh, I'll just give up again and let my sleeper judges/lawyers handle the mess."  Turns out it was someone else.  Oops...  's what I get for not reading.

Now, I hadn't done anything major against corporations, though several corporate issues were liberal (not elite).  I also had a CEO (converting the sons of bitches approaches Nintendo hard) and a few manager sleepers.

I had angered the feds, though, by fat-fingering a "secret document" special edition when I meant to print a "police record" one.  Within the month, the cops arrested my writers for treason.  Most of them got off, so no big deal, right?  But then this mystery raid comes nearly a year later and slaughters everyone that matters, making the rest of the LCS disband.  Was it the feds?  I was careful, for the entire game, not to make them mad, with the exception of selecting the wrong special edition to print.  I was afraid they'd raid for that, but then all I got was a treason trial, so I thought I was in the clear.  Do they never give up once you've crossed them, and does it really take them that long to raid?  Or was it the corporations who attacked because the laws became too liberal (which is retarded in the same way as turn-based strategy games where everyone goes suicidally berserk when you're winning, even when such behavior is wholly unrealistic)?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>Was it the feds?  I was careful, for the entire game, not to make them mad, with the exception of selecting the wrong special edition to print.  I was afraid they'd raid for that, but then all I got was a treason trial, so I thought I was in the clear.  Do they never give up once you've crossed them, and does it really take them that long to raid?  Or was it the corporations who attacked because the laws became too liberal (which is retarded in the same way as turn-based strategy games where everyone goes suicidally berserk when you're winning, even when such behavior is wholly unrealistic)?</STRONG>

It was probably a CIA raid, like you suggest. They don't ever give up -- once the LCS angers the CIA, they will continue to attack until everyone is dead. They don't care about justice -- so your person is just an art seller, they're not concerned about that. If they have knowledge that person is a member of the LCS, and they surround the compound and (try to) kill them.

Alternately, I believe there is a small possibility that you can get a raid for kidnapping Radio Personalities or Cable News Anchors. Once you anger the media, it's possible that you basically get a lynch mob of hicks show up and raid you. They're not very tough, but they're killers too. I've never seen this, and it's possible that somewhere it's disabled, but I know there's code to support it.

But overall, I have to say, I've done the same thing -- giving up before I realized that it wasn't the cops after all, and suddenly game over because my founder just got executed. I wonder if it should disable giving up when you get raided by other groups, always give you a fighting chance.

As a side note, is it just me, or does the game feel much more winnable in this latest version? It's not like you're walking against the treadmill, you can actually make progress. It's still tough, but yeah. Maybe it's just the poll screen, for awhile I had it disabled. The Guardian helps too, because it works like a short-term sleeper factory.

Also, do you like the new elections?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

I used to hate elections because they wasted my time.  Waiting for several seconds for the little colored symbols to change yet being unable to make heads or tails of the results is pretty boring.  Having an indication of what actually changed is all kinds of awesome.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

I noticed in the latest Alpha build that, in the Activate screen, when a liberal is writing to newspapers, the activity column is blank.
Edit:  Healing too, I think.

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Trorbes ]

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Trorbes:
<STRONG>I noticed in the latest Alpha build that, in the Activate screen, when a liberal is writing to newspapers, the activity column is blank.
Edit:  Healing too, I think.

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Trorbes ]</STRONG>

Yeah. What does writing to newspapers do anyways

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Little:
<STRONG>

Yeah. What does writing to newspapers do anyways</STRONG>

Writing to newspapers is like a very weak version of writing for the guardian. You don't get any news articles, but you do have a subtle short-term sleeper effect on the "Background Liberal Influence". This takes the form of consuming public interest (public interest drops) in an issue, and converting it into a higher chance of winning the end of month natural moves rolls. Participants in the end of month rolls include sleepers, graffiti artists, troublemakers, and writers on the LCS side, and AM Radio and Cable TV on the Conservative side. All of these have very subtle, slow effects, but they're powerful -- it's almost entirely the power of the AM Radio and Cable TV to influence public opinion shifts over long periods of time that enables the country to turn Conservative. Crippling those two groups and implementing your own machine to influence public opinion steadily will help to secure your more dramatic gains achieved through direct action.

Edit: With that being said, I wouldn't bother writing to newspapers. It's pretty useless.

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]