Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

The Adventurous Construct. STE!

(1/1)

Creamcorn:
It's been a long boring day for you, mining into the mountains in search of valuable minerals. While the fortress, and nobles got all the gold, and silver mined by you, and your fellow workers. All you recieved in return was some copper, and silver coins with a dwarf on it, plus a thin dust which trikles out of your colthing with each of your steps. You leisurely, and at your own pace, walk to your home, you open the door into your home. You are immidietly blasted by the complains of your lazy spouse, a hauler. "YOU! Where have you been! I've decided to blah blah blah!" with that you decide to go to the bar, and begin to contemplate on whether you'd like some sewer brew or gutter cruor.

You can't exactly remember, you've been living here so long, but how, and why the nobles decide to tax alcohol, more neccesary to dwarvin life than food! Is beyond your poorly funded life's mind. Atleast they built a nice place for you to drink your beverage, but when you open that masterful rock glass portal, personal opinions vary, poor dwarfs beg for a sip, richer dwarf vomit their drinks out, the nobles comftorably drink upstairs, and lizards, rats, and other vermin crawl about the limestone floor. Yeah you think you'd rather have swamp whisky today. You wait for the bartender to stop pouring drinks for the waitress, atending to the nobles upstairs, he finishes, and walks quickly towards you. "Whadal it be fer you miner?" you tell him swamp whisky, and hand him one of your four copper coins, he runs into the alcohol stock pile room.

Than for whatever your reason, you turn to your left, and see a very rich looking dwarf, a noble in the proleteriant bar? Maybe you can get him to buy you some sunshine! You greet the dwarf, though he quickly takes over the conversation!

Ah, hello my name is Urist Mcstoryteller of the bronzepaddle of devineglory of the pastwomans.

I am the royal dwarven story teller, it is my job to tell stories to the children of the royal court, and sometimes the nobles, if I am paid handsomly of course. Right now I'm not telling stories to anyone, in fact the king's children have grown up such a long time ago, and hardly anyone pays me to tell stories, ever since those damn scholars came to the mountain home! Curse them!

...Course my throat would always get parched in the middle of a story, people got tired of that quicker than goblins in a trapped hallway! Hehe... hey speaking of which my throat is a bit parched, you seem like you've got some coins, I've got none on myself now... what I'm asking is would you buy an old dwarf some sunshine brew?

No way you tell him, begining to turn for your whisky, which was placed on the bar some time ago.

Wait! Maybe I can give you this!

*THUMP!*

Startled you look back to Urist the story teller, he seems to have offered you a book to go with the sunshine he wants. It's very thick, worn too, you know how to read, a little, but it looks boring... maybe it's worth more than it looks like? Maybe this dwarf is too sober to think stright? "Bartender!" you yell "Sunshine for my friend here!" you hand the bartender the rest of your coins, and he hands Urist the brew.

Ah thank you miner.

You watch Urist chug his drink down, he seems distracted, you take the book he promissed you, and run out the exit, ignoring the dwarfs begging for some sunshine from you. Well away from the bar you examine the book, well it looks like it should provide with your own room of sunshine! Though a little worn it's bounded by elephant leather, sewn together by GCS silk, and encrusted with black zircon, definetly worth the sunshine. You happily walk home with your loot.

You open the door to your home again, you don't hear your spouse's screams, you walk to your bed, theres a note. It says "Dear, blah blah blah" you don't care anymore, you have money, and all you know is that you have your bed to yourself once again. You lay the expensive book on a rock stool, and go to sleep.

You dream of coins, but you suddenly wake up! Bored, and waiting to go to sleep you look around your room, the book seems to beckon you, plus you have nothing to do! You open it, you have no trouble reading the first page in complete darkness, you have been living underground for years!

The story of The Adventurous Construct.

By Urist Mcstoryteller of the bronzepaddle of devineglory of the pastwomans.

I think I will stop here, more to come see this topic, that's the inspiration, I will provide various pics of the fort, and what happens.

Creamcorn:
From the Diary of Vucar Inkylantern,

4th Galena, Summer, another opportunity lost.
The nobles never cease to amaze me, here I am a dwarf well into his prime years who offers them to go on an expedition for the founding of a new fort, and possibly to his own death, along with six other stupid dwarfs! And all those bastards can do is say no, caring only for their building supplies or my! Forts supplies, keeping it only for themselves to build a new fountain or dumb roast. Looks like I'll just spend the rest of my life, chipping away at a mountain.

6th Galena, Summer: Current mood; depressed :'(
Too depresed to make a decent entry, maybe I'll just chasm this cheapo diary. It's filled with too many dead dreams.

1st Limestone, Autumn, still going for that dream
I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I'm trying to appeal to the nobles to lead a new expedition, again. Who knows, maybe the lack of alluminum or gold bars will make them reconsider?

3rd Limestone, Autumn: Current mood; ecstatic! ;D
AT LAST! AT LAST! The nobles have finnaly accepted my appeal! Well with a price of course, all I have to do is leave my friends, family, possesions, home, and any other thing that may be worth a few coins, all going towards the funding of the expedition, not that I even think for a second the nobles will fund my expedition! Of course that will not be untill a while.

Though I have no choice in where I may settle, I hope it's somewhere safe, and away from the goblins. I meet my new comrades tomorrow in the morning, hopefully they're sensible dwarfs.

4th Limestone, Autumn

Met my new comrades, and an enemy,

Here's a run down of a list.

- Lòr Boardrush, the expeditions stonecrafter/ mechanic. He seems like someone who I can get along with, though I will admit the dwarf is rather, if not fairly stupid.

-Dumat Trammeledtown, the expeditions soldier? S-soldier? Why do we need a hammer dwarf? Oh well, he seems like he was born to fight by my opinion.

-Reg Taperedrims, another soldier, he seems laid back, he's our second hammer dwarf, after I met this dwarf I knew we would not have every essential dwarven profession for a good fort, atleast we have Lòr to make mugs.

-Mosus Shovedrazor, this one is our miner/mason, quite a useful profession. He seems crazy, but nice, one minute he is cheerful, the next he is stricken by melancholy, though not like a fey dwarf of course.

-ïngiz Lashpalace, I did not have enough time to talk to this one, she is quite laid back, like Reg.

-Kivish Talkrazor, ugh, this one I do not like... one second I explain that I like to help others she tells me coldly she dosn't go out of her way to help others. Than I tell her I don't like doing too much work, than she says she expects me to do twice as much as she will do. Lucky she is a planter, but I will taste bitter flavor of her resent for me in every plant grown by her. Oh yeah, we argued allot even before the expedition began. She said we should choose the name Cowardly puddle for our fort, and to show her I choose the Adventurous Construct.

Tomorrow I get a list of supplies, and than where we are to settle down, I hope that when I go to sleep I do not wake up from a dream, this one.

5th Limestone Autumn, help me Ber the finger of avalanches

Oh dear... oh my, by the gods what have I gotten myself into... this isn't a dream anymore, but a nightmare. This is my fort's location, and my new grave.

Did I mention it's conviniently close to two dark fortresses? Who we are at war with, and are very angry with us, and they're alot of them in their, ALOT! Did I mention the cuddly skeletons sure to bite our throats out, than our bowels, and the nice big cave, and the no brook, what kind of fort has no brook!? What kind of dwarves send us to our death! What kind fort has no sand!? Truely the nobles only thought of their coffers than mine, and our other dwarfs lives.

These are our supplies, who ever said things get worse before they get better had better be right.

-No anvil
-Fifty food units
-Fifty booze units
-Twenty five horse leather
-Two picks
-Two steel hammers
-No axe
-Ten of each seed
-Forty logs
-Twenty onyxs
-Ten bauxite stones
-Two plant fiber ropes
-Two bronze crossbows

1st of Moonstone Winter, almost dead

Much time has been spent getting ready for eventual death, of course I knew this to begin with, but I would be more comftorable being killed by something living rather than dead. Atleast they have emotions, and feel pain! I wish I could go back, and tell myself this idea is stupid, and of no use to keeping ourselfs alive. We leave tomorrow, grr I must be a man! Er, um dwarf! This is my fort to lead!

The Adventurous Construct, STRIKE THE EARTH!

OCC:Sorry if updates are boring, although I will add I will place fully drawn pictures! Hope that makes you happy! Maybe this will be updated every week...

Captain Mayday:
I will watch this fort with interest!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version