Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: idea for future game  (Read 730 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
idea for future game
« on: June 08, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »

I downloaded LCS the other day, and despite my evil Conservative leanings (and the fact that I keep dying) so far I've been having a blast with it.

The thing is, every time I play it I can't help but think how awesome it would be to take out the tongue-and-cheek humor and modern setting turn it into a nice, dark sci-fi game set in a dystopian future.

I mean, most of the basic gameplay and strategy elements are already there. You collect your funds and push your agenda through either legal or illegal means.  

The player can already kidnap and brainwash people, now all you have to do is add the ability to sell them into slavery or interrogate and/or brutally murder them to make Soylent Green.

There could be different factions to roleplay, and maybe even some computer controlled ones to ally with or against.
You could try to destroy clone or robot production centers, or even build your own and crank out a few expendable minions. Sabotage the competition's factories, hack into their databases and steal technology to sell or try and reproduce yourself, or start a slander campaign against them. Of course propaganda would play just as big a role as it does in the current game.    

...and yeah, okay, all of this is just armchair programming combined with a lot of wishful thinking, but hey, Toady, if you're looking for something to do in between writing Dwarf Fortress and starting its much anticipated sequel, Elf Fortress, (you are writing a game called Elf Fortress, right? Right?!), keep this one in            mind. Pretty please?   :)

[ June 08, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: idea for future game
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:26:00 pm »

Needs more cowbell.

But seriously, Bay 12 Games + dystopian future political strategy = win. The possibilities make me cringe with excitement, although I'd much rather see Armok developed further.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 07:53:00 pm »

We were working on a really twisted thing called Megacorp at some point.  Although...  well, yeah.  The B12 people still think of the first Star Flight as the pinnacle of sci-fi gaming.

Armok.. .  is that the game with 3D graphics?  The game with the density of hair, both as a material and as a percentage of how it covers your little finger?

I guess I'll tell everybody what I'm going to work on once the alpha-alpha-ass dwarves is out.  Hey, you can read that two different ways.  Like, I'm going to tell you *now* about what I'm going to work on in August.  Or I'm going to tell you *in August* what I'm going to work on in August.

I don't suppose there's any point in delay.  I'm going to be working on dwarves bugs forever.  It'll be very clear when you've played.  Like Outpost.  There's another scifi game.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 08:05:00 pm »

Mmm...Star Flight. (Though these days I admit I've gotten a little spoiled on the Urquan Masters.)

And what is this 'Outpost' you speak of? It's a pretty common name, so Google didn't help much.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:15:00 pm »

Outpost was made by Sierra.  What I remember is that the manual had detailed instructions involving trucks moving between different points of your space colony, but there weren't any trucks in the game.  And more and more.

The following write-up on underdogs was all I could find, but it doesn't really do it justice:

underdogs write-up

It really sucked.

I have a friend who shouted "I am Captain Straupner of the Death!  Urquan bastards!" at the top of his lungs.  He wasn't exactly intoxicated, but it was kinda like that.  This person shall remain nameless.  It wasn't me, dammit.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 10:02:00 pm »

LCS is open source!  You could always modify the in game text and make it into whatever setting you want, Solara.

Toad would tell you to start fresh though; he hates the LCS code.