Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's ALL Play "Conflict: MEPS" (Community Working Together)  (Read 32874 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's ALL Play "Conflict: MEPS" (Community Working Together)
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »

What is Let's Play?
A Let's Play thread is similar to that of Community Fortresses on ths Drawf Fortress forum. Basically, a person plays a game, posting screenshots of him playing the game, while telling about the game via a fun story. I am planning on doing a series of LPs based on "obscure war games" that I find across the Internet and that I really, really enjoy.

I do hope for community participation within the game, so if you do post in this thread with advice, I'll find some way of placing you within the plotline of this game...

So, enough about that. What is Conflict: MEPS?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator, often known as ConfMEPS or simply Conflict, is a turn-based government simulation game. It was designed by David J Eastman and published by Virgin Interactive in 1990. It was available for DOS, Atari ST, and Amiga (with extended graphics).

The game is set in 1997. The prime minister of Israel has just been assassinated, leaving the player to run the country as the new prime minister. The player's objective is to cause the defeat of the neighboring four states, either by invasion (not necessarily by Israel, as the other states can and do invade each other) or political destabilization.

Website of the Developer:
http://www.eastman.me.uk/conflict.htm

The game is itself somewhat "politically incorrect" (though the designer states that it is offensive not just at the Middle East countries), and the fact you play as Israel makes it conterversial, however the game itself is pretty fun, and that is what I want to focus on. The game's experience is different every time due to random events randomized starting relationships, and has a very decent AI. It takes place in the far-off futuristic world of 1997, predicting a world where the Superpowers are in decline, regional interests take hold, and the threat of World War 3 hangs like a Sword of Damocles.

Note: By playing this game, I do not advocate any political bias or ideology. I do not wish to offend anyone at all. Thank you.

The Players (Italicized Text Comes From the Manual)
(Countries marked with a * are Countries That Need to be Defeated To Win The Game)

Israel: Born
in 1948 this nation state started life fighting. Conflicts with the surrounding states led to war in 1956, 1957 and 1973. Despite problems with Palestinian people and ridiculously high inflation, Israel has emerged as the strongest power- due. in part, to U.S. assistance.

That's the country that we'll be playing as in this game. The Middle East was relatively stable for 20 years, but now, in 1997, tensions are coming to a head and the next months are going to be critical. Your predecessor got killed, for crying out loud.

*Egypt: The Egyptian army is the largest in the game being about twice the size of the Israeli army. Their soldiers are competent and the government behind them is solid. It is much too strong to destabilize. Egypt’s only problemscome from you and Libya but Libya cannot survive an attack unaided. Little nuclear research is thought to go on the government not being keen to accelerate a nuclear arms race in the face of its own conventional superiority. Since the Camp David agreement in the ’70s. Egypt’s
feeling about Israel have become ambivalent: It is happy to be at peace with Israel but not at the cost of long term security.

Egypt is going to be one of our biggest problems facing Israel. With a powerful military and high stability, it will need to be countered.

*Syria: Syria are the central power of the game funded by the Soviets and the main adversary of Israel. Syria may try to take on Lebanon or Iraq in any game before coming around to attack Israel. Religious feeling can be manipulated to agitate extreme Islamic elements often excluded from government. The Syrians have had limited success in the ‘73 war on the Golan Heights and are most dangerous when attacking Israel with other Arabs in support.
Syria is a threat like Egypt, but a little bit lesser, because it is possible to assist insurgencies.

* Lebanon
The weakest power in the game Lebanon and should be Israel’s first target. Politically unstable, it could collapse in its own time of its own accord. Israel’s history of meddling in Lebanons affairs has left it with a splintered leadership and many different opposing factions.
Lebanon would fall even if Israel tried to disrupt its insurgency. The country really is a joke, but then again, if Lebanon and another country invades Israel, a dual-front war is bad regardless.

The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan:
Though not a large power, it has a strong government and keeps alive by deals and staying neutral. Jordans support of other Arabs in battle is patchy. They are keen to use the P.L.O. as a stick to keep Israel weak.

Iraq:
A possible ally against Syria but more likely to be caught up in endless combat with Iran. Iraq has a history of nuclear development and problems with the Kurdish community.
I believe, but not sure, that this game was made before the Persian Gulf War, so the idea of an Iran-Iraq War is central to this game. Iraq can in fact be a good military ally in taking out Jordan and Syria, because you don't have to destroy it to win the game......unless Syria, Jordan, or Iran takes them out first.

Islamic Republic of Iran:
Since the Shah left in ‘79, Iran has shown the world the meaning of religious extremism. The internal fighting between “moderate” and fundamentalist elements does not assist in estimating the strength of the regime. The large armed forces with fanatic soldiers are a problem
only for Iraq and without intervention, war with them can eventually start a Holocaust.

The reason is that if Iraq and Iran gets into another war, and they research nuclear weapons, they'll likely use it on each other. The resulting nuclear war would cause World War 3, and everyone loses. That means you, Israel. If you don't intervene in the New Iran-Iraq War, Iran would usually win after suffering massive casualities.

Libyan Arab Republic: Unstable and dangerous within, but normally demolished by Egypt at some time during the game. Always a possible ally for Israel in theory but the Libyan governments chaotic and antagonistic nature normally defeats diplomats. Apart from terrorism. the Libyans also believe that
“The Sword of Islam” i.e. nuclear weapons, are a method of achieving their aims whatever they are.

One way to defeat Egypt is if Israel and Libya invade at the same time, forcing Egypt into a two-front war. Of course, this is Libya we're talking about here.

United States of America:
They're one of your best allies. The United States sells you some of the best weapons in the game, and every December, the United States give you boatloads of money. However, the US is also a bit worried about international tensions. If you do mess the Middle East up real bad, the US may decide to not send you any more money and may start up an arms embargo. So your best course of action is to not upset the West...at least until the December check get mailed to you.

United Kingdom:
The UK is less squeamish with selling weapons to Israel, meaning they can tolerate a bit more war-mongering. The UK's weapons however are not as good compared to that of the US.

France: Not only are their weapons pretty medicore, but they'll likely support the United States in any military embargo. Not a very good country to rely on for arms sales.

South African Arms Dealer: They sell old Russian weapons, meaning that their weapons are the least useful. However, nobody really likes the South African Apartheid Regime, and so, being used to diplomatic isolation, they'd be willing to sell to anyone and flout international law. They don't care if you nuke civilian populations, as long as you got cash, they'll sell.

Palestine Liberation Front: Just as you seek to destabilise your neighbours, so they seek to destabilise your government by funding the P.L.O.. If things are not going well for you, the main focus of resentment will be found in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, and it is advisable to keep a brigade of soldiers there to police the region and deal with insurgents. But that leaves you with one less brigade to deploy to the borders.
An annoyance, but they could potentially overthrow Israel. Keep an eye on them. You can establish a Palestine homeland during the July United Nations summit, and thereby won't have to worry about the PLO.

United Nations: The United Nations Security Council may step in and call a July summit if tension gets too high - and a variety of proposals may be made including ending current wars and setting up a Palestinian homeland.
The UN can also request Israel to freeze its Defense Budget (that is, not increase it by 2%).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:55:11 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's ALL Play "Conflict: MEPS" (Community Working Together)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:01:05 pm »

CONMEPS is a great game. Still waiting for a decent remake... ;D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:06:39 pm »

I have enjoyed reading the SA Let's Play archive in the past and am definitely looking forward to this. Good luck!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:17:58 pm »

Isn't this that game from the early 90s that's almost impossible to win on account of Syria nuking you and Egypt stomping all over you with at least twice as many troops as you can possibly field?

To be fair, I may have just been terrible at it...  :P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:22:12 pm by Earthquake Damage »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:17:54 pm »

Will the U.S. bail you out of things and give you superweapons? It not, I don't see how it simulates the Middle East at all.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:39:38 pm »

Will the U.S. bail you out of things and give you superweapons? It not, I don't see how it simulates the Middle East at all.

The U.S. will give you a boatload of money every December, which you can then use to buy the superweapons and bail yourself out of trouble. However, you don't want relationships with the West to go bad, otherwise the US may cut your aid...or even call for an arms embargo. As long as you restrain yourself from pointlessly raising tensions within the Middle East (at least until the December check arrives in the mail), you should be fine.

Also realize that this was made in 1990. The game designers predicted that both the US and the USSR would decline in power and slowly slide into irrevelance, leading to the rise of regional powers that would wage war, such as Israel. The fact that the predictions were not proven to be true does not mean that the game itself is bad, just that this was how he saw the Middle East would develop in the future.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:44:29 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 04:20:18 am »

I remember playing this game a while back. My outcome....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:57:20 pm »

Oh god, I found this game on an abandonware site years ago and wasted days playing with it.  Things it taught me-
-Lybia LOL
-South Africans rock
-Iran is no big deal
-Syrian are assholes
-Fuck Egypt

Also, in the maybe hundreds of games I played, I never once saw the PLO do more than throw rocks.  Are they bugged, or just lazy like that?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Lybia LOL
-South Africans rock
-Iran is no big deal
-Syrian are assholes
-Fuck Egypt

Yep.  This is the game I thought it was.

I'll be watching with interest.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 01:02:33 am »

Also, in the maybe hundreds of games I played, I never once saw the PLO do more than throw rocks.  Are they bugged, or just lazy like that?

They do tend to go crazy if you are involved in a long war and and refuse to make them a homeland at the U.N summit-and if your whole army is in the field, you can't supress them. I also think they get support from the other hostile nations.

On the other hand, if you DO give them a homeland, your pretty much going to get shot by your own people lol
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 01:59:07 am »

Some issues to address:

Syria and Egypt=I know how to deal with these two nations, and have in fact beaten them before in previous playthroughs. Just in case though, I will warn that I may likely do mulitple playthroughs in order to beat this game.

Palestine=I always give Palestine a homeland at the first UN Summit. It increases my prestige, makes the US happy, ensures that my troops get sent away from Palestine and into more productive spheres such as invading other countries, etc. To be fair, there is a minor downside to giving Palestine their own homeland, and I'll address that when we get there in the LP thread (and let you vote on if Palestine gets indepedence or not).

So I never seen a Palestine insurgency grew any farther than throwing rocks. However, I do know that other hostile nations will support the insurgency, because if the Palestine insurgency grows too powerful, they will overthrow Israel.

Getting Shot By My Own People=I never have gotten that. Ever. I know Israelis will hate you if your Prestige is low, but since granting Palestine indepedence increases my prestige, I never gotten anything bad from that. Plus, since Prestige represent your power-level compared to the rest of the Middle East...it is rather likely that you'll aquire a High Prestige if you just stay alive while all the nearby countries around you die grisly deaths.

So, have anybody got kicked out by the Israeli public? Was it fun? ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 02:03:34 am by Servant Corps »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 02:20:00 am »

I've never had any kind of domestic trouble when playing.  Usually, the only war I actually fight is a last-second grab for Lebanon before Syria gets it, followed by a nasty scrap with them.  Sometimes Jordan winds up fighting me, but they're pretty inconsequential.  I have never beaten Egypt.  Ever.  Not even close.

Usually I just let Israel's invincible, infallible, and completely free Mossad do all the hard work of destroying my enemies.  Egypt always takes the longest, but if you spam "Keep Trying" long enough, it'll crack.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 02:36:43 am »

After browsing a little too late, it seems that I found a Conflict: MEPS remake: Bridge Over Troubled Water, with new mechanics (elections, rival insurgency groups, more detailed battles). The other remake, Conflict.NET seems to be dead though. Hm. Something tells me that I may be playing this after I finish this Let's Play. Though I'm a bit iffy about the "detailed battle" portion of the remake.

Aqizzar: Ah, thanks for the tip. I didn't know Egypt could be overthrown by Mossad.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 02:42:57 am by Servant Corps »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 06:03:56 am »

WHAT THE HELL?  How come I never heard of this game before???...
Oh and, just as an aside, I actually live in Lebanon...

The weakest power in the game Lebanon and should be Israel’s first target. Politically unstable, it could collapse in its own time of its own accord. Israel’s history of meddling in Lebanons affairs has left it with a splintered leadership and many different opposing factions.
Lebanon would fall even if Israel tried to disrupt its insurgency. The country really is a joke, but then again, if Lebanon and another country invades Israel, a dual-front war is bad regardless.

Yep, that definitely summarizes the whole situation here... :(
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 06:14:13 am »

seems like some SA traditions are just too awesome to be contained entirely in SA
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7