Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: talk / chat system  (Read 4083 times)

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
talk / chat system
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:34:52 am »

hello. i'm plstcflsh, first time time poster, long time DF story reader, only just got over the curve.

As I play DF, it seems like there could be more chat interface worked in with the dwarfs. this could server to give more info on the dwarfs in a quicker and more intuitive fashion, and also bring the player into the world more by allowing dwarfs to access the folklore when 'talking' about their own shit.

it could work similarly to the chat/talk system in adventure mode, and could potentially, theoretically overlap in construction.

even cooler would be to 'eavesdrop' then on dwarves, hang out and hear dialogue the dwarfs are having w each other. thought and feelings can be inferred, as well as more detailed social interactions.

i've always had a thing for more social gameplay. i feel like this system can complement DF really well and enhance the gameplay. tis a thought.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:59:14 am by plstcflsh »

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: talk / chat system
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:57:26 pm »

let me offer two examples of how talking dwarfs could be implemented. when viewing units to assign labor and such, the unit can offer a quick summary of their status. so as you mouse over units, they say, 'hello! I'm doing nothing.' 'i've had it up to here!' 'i'm busy building a bed.' 'i've get better at digging all day!' 'Boy am I thirsty' 'Those goblins are terrifying!' what it is is just viewing the emotional data that already exists in the game, but in a different format. Perhaps then the dwarf can be interviewed w a chat dialogue. surroundings/family/service equivilants for DF can apply, e.g. possessions/relations/labor, and then the quality and preference can be asked of the dwarf as well. same info that already exists in the game, just aproached in a more role play style, w a chat themed menu. but the dwarf feedback is also according to the dwarf's emotional settings, so if a dwarf is submissive or not conversational, the reaction could be terse, or if a dwarf is verbose, the opposite. this system begins to lend itself to an interesting social dynamic, dwarfs can tell you they are jealous, unsatisfied, they can request service or items, etc. perhaps the more verbose dwarfs are story tellers 'Feb the recruit dwarf recently defended my child from a Kobold kidnapper. But I didn't like how Feb was looking at my Husband.', but perhaps the liar dwarfs create offer random events that throw the player off.

What my rambling is aiming towards a is a "combat system" for dialogue and social interaction. this way the dwarfs can "talk" to each other, which would take the form of a combat style interaction. The dwarfs' in question pit their emotional stats against one another, along w their wants and needs, and the dice rolls to figure out who wins the arguement. So in this situation, certain subordinate dwarfs will not work for certain non asertive dwarf leaders. but a good leader will have an insanely productive workshop.  ideally, the player can trust high level dwarf leaders to get stuff done, while the player goes on doing fun player stuff.

agian this is all wild speculation that might be insanely infeasable. but it seems like it's mildly do-able, tho probably not. i could see it enhancing the game a bunch tho, just to mind fart w the dwarfs for a while.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:43:57 pm »

Speaking to the conversation model of talking TO the dwarves:

This could possibly be a very user friendly way to deal with a specific dwarf.  Sure you'd keep all the options you've got now, but for new players, a guided menu system for dwarf behaviour disguised as talking to the dwarf in question would be handy. 

Hey, What are you doing?
Hauling this bed to <insertnamehere>'s room.
Stop it.

How are you feeling?
<Insert recent thoughts list>

What's your health status?
my ear itches, but other than that I'm fine.

Who's in your Squad?

What weapons are you using?
a normal obsidian sword
Why don't you get
    (Menu Screen) this one? 
OK

Etc.

This could be carted over wholesale to adventure mode, where reequipping your drunks, getting their status, even some character building, etc. would be nice.

As for a random generated conversation system?  No sir, I don't like it.

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:55:56 pm »

yeah that example of yours is totally how i see it playing out.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:00:51 pm »

I'm not sure that why should we have anything like this. Dwarf "The Sims" Fortress?  :P

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:45:37 pm »

I can see this being very, very nifty for adventure(er?) mode, but in fortress(er?) mode it'd eventually grow into a nuisance. Perhaps giving the player the option to interact on that level would be better; maybe when adventure mode evolves to the point that you can 'Oregon Trail' yourself a party and found a settlement, it'll make more sense.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:44:31 pm »

If we have a typing interface to communicate with the dwarves, let me suggest three keywords: "name", "job" and "join".
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 09:02:42 pm »

"psssst!"
"Eh? What? Who's there?"
"Pssst!"
"What do you want?"
"Kill them all!"
"What!?"
"KILL! KILL! KILL!..."
...one season later everyone is murdered.

I'd have so much fun with this.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »

How are you doing?
I don't understand. Can you rephrase that?
How are you?
Are you okay?
How are you felling?
How are you feeling?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 01:01:49 am »

Sex?
I get off duty in a few hours, maybe you could meet me in the barracks.

Oh, wait, that's a different game.
(Cookie to anyone who knows which character and what game ;) )

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 11:28:09 am »

How are you doing?
How are you?
Are you okay?
How are you felling?
How are you feeling?
play adventure mode.  It's chat system could be leveraged...