Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Star Zoo  (Read 28216 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Star Zoo
« on: December 18, 2002, 05:47:00 pm »

That's right.  Star Zoo.  HA HA HA AH AHAA AH AHA HA....   if ther are bugs it is zuz I've ben up 36 hours.

HE HE HE

HE HE HE

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Zoo
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 07:15:00 pm »

The first planet got me exhausted... heh
all that work... long car shoot out and stuff...  8(
oof

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 06:30:00 pm »

Hmm... this game never got too much attention...

Edit: Er... hit something on my keyboard and next thing I knew was: "Thanks for POsting"

I wasnt even done yet! Dammit!

Now about this game.... so sexy... mmh...
No wait.. it was a fun game.. lets remember it for the stuff...
Farthest I got was third PLanet...
but recently I always die on the second one...   ;)

[ March 17, 2004: Message edited by: Renaxer ]

oof

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:34:00 pm »

He's right this game was pretty fun.... True, I never made it past the second world... But it was fun... and hard as hell!!!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:54:00 am »

I basically stayed up for 36 hours and wrote this in one shot. I wanted to see what happened if sleep deprivation became the primary source of inspiration for a game.

I know it it's too hard, but I can't change it. It has to stand as a work of performance art.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 01:02:00 am »

I seems to be be a good way to program... Well if you done count the temporary insanity. I'll give it a try some time.

[ March 20, 2004: Message edited by: Fourth Triad ]

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

Star Zoo is fantastic! The intro is mysterious and the title screen a fantastic piece of ascii-pulp. I love how the character designer lets you customize your looks in a truly next-gen fashion and the mini-games are varied, addictive and bloody hard (especially the car game). Star Zoo rocks! What inspired this game? Did you really make it in 36 hours?

(I know this is extreme necromancy, but making a new thread seemed superfluous).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

I think this was because I had a train to catch from california up to washington when I was on vacation from grad school, and I had a chunk of time about that large to burn.  So I decided to write a game in that time period, without pre-planning and just seeing where it would take me.  I went out to the local gas station market once or twice during the stretch to get junk to power through on.  I haven't played for a while, but most of the mini-games look like they came out of 80sish arcade games, if I remember.  It's too bad it is so repetitive, because it'll keep giving you one different sentence of (horrible) story like 20 times until the conclusion cut scene and battle.  You can save-scum to get at them, but it's a painful process.  The source is off on a CD buried some place.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

Sooo hard...

I can't get past the landing, although I like the over-the-top action and so-bad-it's-good storyline, and the lots-of-dashes-to-make-one-word-out-of-many thing I do.

Shoes...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 03:44:00 am »

I got to I think the fourth zone once.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

20 times! That is quite a lot.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

Way too hard for me...

The rare few times I get past the first space battle, I can't land on whatever the landing pad is.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 02:40:00 am »

In the space battle, try to stick to one of the sides, perhaps seize some fuel from a merchant ship and avoid battles as much as possible while making your way towards the planet. If you have to fight, try to attack first to have a shot at eliminating your enemies before they can harm you (run from the tougher ships though). The landing pad is one or several "D"s.

The car game though... The variety where you just fight other cars is decent, but the minefield or that version where something drops a lot of bombs on you is hellish.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Appelgren ]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:34:00 am »

When landing, pick the one with the fewest enemy weapons.  You basically have to land perfect to land properly, so 1 safe square is all you need.  Count your keypresses for left and right, and make certain they are zero before landing.  It is difficult to land, and it only gets harder, so watch out.

The main highway on the car game is my favorite, actually.. the bombs give little dots showing you where they are going to land.  It might just be the look of the thing, though.

I've never found an easy solution to the base attacking phase, though.  I generally only make it if sneak through the sewers is an option, because I can barely shank enough guys to make it in.

My record is planet 4, failure to land.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 05:24:00 am »

The penultimate minigame is the hardest for me.  I can't get far at all in the sewers, and just barely get by in the tank suit.  I always play Marine, because I'm guessing I'd be doomed in that minigame if I played anything else...and I'm alright at the other minigames.

Any tips for that part?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2