Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Cruise ship - a challenge  (Read 7009 times)

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Cruise ship - a challenge
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 04:03:44 pm »

Aw, but I'm lazyyyyyyyy...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 06:06:42 pm »

Aw, but I'm lazyyyyyyyy...
You can order and buy the wood from caravans.  As long as you don't buy them from the Elves >:(
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

The Rainmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 05:26:33 am »

I'll give it a shot, the entire construction is wood or just the hull? I'm assuming that incidental pieces of metal or stonework would be acceptable yeah?

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:31 pm »

I'm going to make a lead one just because I can now.

TAKE THAT LAWS OF PHYSCIS!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

I'll give it a shot, the entire construction is wood or just the hull? I'm assuming that incidental pieces of metal or stonework would be acceptable yeah?
The hull should be made entirely would, but other parts can be made of other materials.  Feel free to use anything to make non-hull components.  Even soap.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 08:27:49 pm »

Depending on the size and shape of the hull, you could theoretically make it from anything. Even rocks. Heck, if the water is salty enough you can float rocks on it.

So the secrect is to embark on an area with rock salts and dump as much as you can into the water. Then make the entire boat from soap.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 08:31:04 pm »

I've begun designing a ship for this - it will be a sternwheeler (I'll just build some waterwheels on the back, mainly for decoration) able to support 32 passengers and a crew of 12. I'm planning on building some farms on the bottom deck, but these won't be used during the challenge.

Do we have to cut down all the wood, or am I allowed to just edit smelter reactions in order to magically create 300 logs out of thin air?

You can hook the water wheels onto pumps that pump back behind the boat to create waves.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 08:35:57 pm »

Depending on the size and shape of the hull, you could theoretically make it from anything. Even rocks. Heck, if the water is salty enough you can float rocks on it.

So the secrect is to embark on an area with rock salts and dump as much as you can into the water. Then make the entire boat from soap.
The hull has to be wood.  With everything else, go to town. Glass mast, uh, obsidian poop deck, whatever  :).
Just so I remember

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 08:39:44 pm »

i'm going with a deckless ship because of enviromental constraints.

can the roof be made out of non-wood?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 08:43:45 pm »

i'm going with a deckless ship because of enviromental constraints.

can the roof be made out of non-wood?
Sure.  By the way, you can make a deck out of rock or anything else that comes to mind as well.

Wait a minute, roof?  Isn't that what the deck functions as?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:41:13 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 12:30:44 pm »

-the boat must be able to support 20 dwarves for a season without letting them off or putting food sources on the boat.
Does that mean I'm not allowed butcherable animals on the boat?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 06:02:09 pm »

-the boat must be able to support 20 dwarves for a season without letting them off or putting food sources on the boat.
Does that mean I'm not allowed butcherable animals on the boat?

Yep.  Sorry 'matey.
Just so I remember

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 11:16:56 pm »

This challenge would be a lot easier if you had a volcano on your map... pump the magma into the middle of the ocean... then build wood walls... it could work. Maybe. Kinda. In theory.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 11:25:58 pm »

I've been working on a ship with my zefie mod for a while now. I think that it MAY house 50 when finished. I've finished the top deck, and one lower one (combonation, firing, barracks (real cabins lower), and mess). I'm working on the abin level now, about 3500 logs used so far. It's going to be really cool when finished.

Maybe I'll write some stories for the cloistered wanderer . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 01:24:55 pm »

Sorry for not replying in a while, I've been...lazy.

Anyway - I've finished the ship, it has 11 bedrooms for the crew and 36 for the passengers. It has 7 floors and the largest deck is 36 by 13 squares (including the unwalkable sides). I'll raise the bridges to the ship once enough food has been loaded on and I have the correct crew and passengers.

Here is the map: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4116-whippedsubmerge
I know that the main "fortress" is hideous, but I only really cared about getting the ship built.
Pages: 1 [2] 3