Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Beautiful ASCII  (Read 5360 times)

Fenrir

More Beautiful ASCII
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

Does anyone know of any good ASCII games? The more complexity and the steeper the learning curve the better. (besides DF!)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: More Beautiful ASCII
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

I don't know.... make an ASCII neural network and add an adventurer?
Someday it may evolve into ADOM.
Eh?
Eh!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

That D&D Goblin King roguelike is pretty complex, and groovy.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>That D&D Goblin King roguelike is pretty complex, and groovy.</STRONG>
You mean Incursion?

Gulfd'An

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

www.adom.de

My favourite roguelike.

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gulfd'An:
<STRONG>www.adom.de

My favourite roguelike.</STRONG>

I could tell by the sig.   :roll:

This was the first roguelike I ever played. If it weren't for ADOM I never would have found DF, because I found DF while searching for more ASCII games, I think.

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

I've been an avid lover of roguelikes for quite a while. Until Dwarf Fortress very few roguelikes held my attention long before I went back to ADOM.

A few of the better roguelikes that I can remember-

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - It's a variant based on Linley's dungeon crawl.

I tried a roguelike called Guild. In a lot of ways it was simple compared to other roguelikes, but I liked the party aspect of the game. You had a party that acted fairly intelligently, and you could switch between which party member you wanted to control. Unfortunately it looks like the website is unnavailable at the moment.   :(

I liked incursion, that was mentioned above. The only gripe I had was character creation took so long. In a game where my character's lives are ephemeral I don't want to spend all my time on character creation...

Some angband variants are a refreshing change. I've tried so many that I have a hard time keeping track of which was which. I think Sangband was ok.

IVAN was a lot of fun, but it's not ASCII. At first I had a hard time getting over how silly the game was, but after I got past that it was a joy to play.    :D

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

ADOM was my favorite for a very long time.  Your characters often live long enough that you can really strategize, plan...and unfortunately, also farm.

Nethack has less farming opportunities 'cause it's faster paced and that makes it pretty awesome, if frustrating as all hell.

I discovered Incursion recently, and I LOVE it.  Even if I don't have the time to play it.  If you're at all a D&D fan, you'll think it's awesome that just about every obscure rule is intact (if modified), and obscenely easy to use...Oh, you want to charge that monster like you could in D&D?  Well just open the combat menu and hit 'charge', and watch your bonuses go up with every square you move.  Magic is done pretty intelligently.  DIPLOMACY IS USEFUL.  RESTING IS IMPORTANT.  (was hurt; walked into a horde of bandits, managed to use my Diplomacy skill to not only convince them not to kill me, but to also convince them to take watches with me at night so we could all rest safely!)

Yeah, Incursion takes forever to do chargen.  However--if your character dies before hitting dungeon level 5 or so (pretty likely), you can 'reincarnate', which means you start that same character over--level 1, only your starting loot, new dungeon, but you don't have to go through chargen again.

I can't recommend Incursion highly enough.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

I wasn't going to try Incursion until I read what Sowelu says, and I can't believe how close I came to missing it.  It truly is the closest you can come to D&D without playing the real thing.

Speaking of which, they should make a WotC-licensed D&D PC game, like real D&D, not Baldur's Gate'n'such.  It'll probably never happen though, because they'll sell less bookmonies.

Oh, about that whole camping with the bandits thing, I rested once, and apparently the entire nonevil population of the cave decided my presence indicated a hotel, when I woke up there were so many people I couldn't figure out what was going on, and a squad of assorted bad guys(Skeletal Krenshar, Kobold Bone Delver, I think there was a Bonebat) attacked us, I was the first one killed.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...