Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Strike the Code!  (Read 15283 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strike the Code!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 10:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dark:
<STRONG>Talk doesnt [snip] get any work done.</STRONG>

Actually it does this, too. From what I've learned so far, it's best to just start out talking. Start with the most complex, as in "I want to make a great game that does w, x, y, and z." Talk a bit and find out how to break everything down into the simplest parts possible. I've basically just defined top-down design.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

I'll gladly help with graphics and the like, but I'm terrible at programming.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 01:55:00 am »

Well that's nice.  We've got several graphic artists, a couple wet-behind-the-ears programmers, and then there's me.    I have no skill with either graphics or programming, but I make up for it with huge loads of ideas.

Because the most important thing we need right now is more ideas, as we don't have nearly enough things to bog down the proggers with.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

I THINK that C# needs a compiler that must either be bought or you get a limited version, and thats where C++ might be better.

edit: also, C++ has the potential for multiple platforms without a complete language change and rewrite, if it ever gets that popular.

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Because the most important thing we need right now is more ideas, as we don't have nearly enough things to bog down the proggers with.</STRONG>

As someone who hasnt even written a single line of code yet, or even managed to completely decide on a language to use, or even know how to compile the code once its done, or what other software I may need: I really hope you werent serious. For now I would be happy with something I can actually move a preset character around on, nay, overjoyed. I havent even started anything and I'm already bogged down! The sheer mass of the lack of knoweldge I have is threatening to bend space and time!

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

I'd rather use D myself. It's easier to program, has a built in compiler debuger, has a visual version now, and there are plenty of libraries for it now. I don't know if there's a free C# compiler, but there are plenty of C++ ones you can use.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

I'm just going to come in here all sneaky like and bump the thread.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 08:56:00 am »

Should we move this thread over to Fenrir's forum?  Instead of having our two seperate groups going off in different directions with the same goal in mind, why not just join together?  We could claim our own little segment of the forum, provided the great wolf consents.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

That would be fine with me, as long as we actually make some progress, people are all talk and no action. They're convinced that talking will help the game progress when all they're doing is worming their way out of it. If we dont do some actual programming soon the whole thing will die quietly in its little hole. I actually had to bump the thread, to no avail.  :(

Alas, all our hopes and dreams are shattered, at least mine are.

Aeloi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aeloi
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

Sorry if I address something said before, as I didn't read *all* the posts, however, if we're going to talk isometric based graphics - why not go Zelda - Link to the Past style?(SNES) That would be freaking awesome... I think anyway.

Also as far as language, I would not recommend C#.  Definately feel that C++ is the way to go - it's not that scary.  Here is a free fully featured IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Turns out the site also has programming tutorials and resources including OpenGL tutorials and game source among other things.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Aeloi ]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

We'll keep it in mind for when we actually get around to it, thanks! I feel like a shining beacon has been lit. Awesome.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

NeHe. Opengl.
Eh?
Eh!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

Aeloi, thanks for the link. I was trying to write some C++ in Notepad++ and using a seperate compiler and as far as I know, Notepad++ doesn't have any syntax checking. That made things a bit slower for me.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

I nearly have opengl pong, or a very primitive version, but its a start.
Eh?
Eh!

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

I'm going to bet that the reason nothing has been done is because no one knows how to use TCP/UDP. Given that that is the first step in making an MMORPG, no further steps can be taken.

So I present  this guide. It explains the dark and terrible secrets of TCP/UDP in C/C++. If anyone can survive the arcane and chthonic land of internet sockets and return victoriously with a @-moving-around-the-screen demo that works over the internet, then you will be able to continue on the path.

Check out my books at O and H Books
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4