Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Builds - Your choice?  (Read 8123 times)

Ryan1711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Builds - Your choice?
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 02:27:37 pm »

Skills (followed by customised titles)

Profi Miner/Prof Mason "High-Mason"
Profi Miner/Prof Mechanic 'High-Mechanic"
Profi Woodcutter/Prof Carpenter "High-Carpenter"
Prof Grower/Prof Cook "Cookmaster"
Prof Grower/Prof Brewer "Brewmaster"
Prof Building Designer/Nov Record Keeper/Nov Appraiser/Nov Organiser/Nov Judge/Nov Engraver "Adminstrator"
Prof Armorsmith/Prof Weaponsmith "Arms-Master"

For items, it varies on situation but generally:

40 pieces of meat (pref turtle if available- easy shells)
40 Dwarven Wine
2 Picks
11 Copper Bars (5 axes, 5 picks, 1 chain for well)
8 Tower-Cap Logs (plus 3 from Wagon, for wood-furnace)
60ish Plump Helment Spawn
10 Pig Tail Seeds
10 Dimple Cup Spawn
2 Copper Cages
10-15 Bauxite (Just to set up a controllable source of magma for waste-disposal and furnaces early)

2 War Dogs (will be caged at side of security hall at the end of entrance chamber)
1 Cat (vermin hunting)

I change it from time to time, sometimes increasing food and drink, depending on how fast I think I can get farms set up. Generally, I plan very far ahead, and map out like, almost all of my fortress when I start the game, just removing the tiles where doors would be so I can direct the effort. It often happens that by the first immigration wave, I have 15 dwarves sharing 160 bedrooms and enough farmland to feed 150.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 06:36:54 pm »

You actually embark with the steel axes? I always went for the anvil and forged the stuff on the spot...

Using what fuel?

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 11:02:02 pm »

You actually embark with the steel axes? I always went for the anvil and forged the stuff on the spot...

Using what fuel?

The fuel you embark with i assume.

Generally i bring neither though, but if i to have an anvil on start then i wouldn't be bringing myself an axe, too many points wasted on something i could just as easily make myself then imo.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 01:45:55 am »

Miner/Mason
Miner/Leader
Woodcutter/Woodcrafter
Farmer
Chef
Mechanic/Building Designer
General Craftsdwarf

3 Picks (one spare)
1 Axe
100ish-150ish
150ish Food
Couple dogs
75 Plump Helmet seeds
20ish pigtail seeds
Rest in wood.

Yeah easy modeish I guess.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 02:24:25 am »

I do survivability and expansion.

3 Miners/(1 Fisher, 1 Cleaner, and one booze maker)
1 Carpenter/ Lumberjack/ Ranger
1 Mason
1 Techie ( + Nobility ( Bleh ) )
1 Smithy
(Other jobs are attached as I please)

1 Anvil
36 of each seed ( Helmets, pig tails, rock nuts, and dimple cups )
26 of each alcohol
4 cats ( all-pupose)
4 dogs ( guards)
4 bars of Copper
1 cage ( Gotta keep the contamination low)
Some cat leathers
Alot of cheap flame-retardant rocks
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:35:52 am by Foa »

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 03:12:23 am »

1 miner/ prof. weaponsmith / competent wrestler
2 miner/ prof. armorsmith / competent wrestler
3 prof. mason/ prof. marksdwarf (sometimes miner)
4 prof. mechanic/marksdwarf/novice judge of intent/novice appraiser
5 novice woodcutter/prof carpenter/skilled axedwarf (dabbling trainer)
6 professional brewer/marksdwarf/grower
7 professional cook/marksdwarf/grower

I give my starting seven combat skills so I can draft/undraft them without giving negative thoughts.  Since it's usually a few years before I have time to train a military, they serve as the emergency militia. 

Things like mining, growing, and woodcutting train up so fast it's not worth investing a lot of starting points in them.  Any full-time miner will be legendary in a few seasons anyway.  Smithing uses a lot of resources to train, so you want that as high as possible right away, and quality masonry means nice tables in your dining hall and happy dwarfs. 

I skip architecture b/c it doesn't affect quality, just speed.  Usually waiting for the architect to get around to designing the building takes longer than just having whoever's available do it. 

Ratepe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 03:31:48 am »

Check it

Grower/Brewer
Grower/Brewer or Cook
Woodcutter/Carpenter
Architect/Mechanic
The other 3 are just whatever map im doing...like 2 masons w/ related stone skills and boss, or 2 glassworkers with a gem skill each.

But instead of taking miners, i just buy 6 picks and make everyone but the woodworker mine, and then i switch off accordingly.

Silfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 04:23:24 am »

Depends slightly on the map. I always put a lot of though into this.

Many people don't assign second skills at all to their masons. Not me. I have to fill all skill slots to avoid unspeakable agony for myself on embark.

On maps with no aquifer and decent amounts of wood I'll go with this or similar variants (at least next time, I'm constantly experimenting):

My Craftsdwarf: 5 Miner/4 Stone Crafter/1 Bone Carver (Mining is done mostly in the beginning, setting up the starting fortress, and later if necessary; other times he's going to be my prime producer of dwarfbux to trade with)

My Bossdwarf: 5 Miner/1 Appraiser/1 Judge of Intent/1 Organizer/1 Record Keeper/1 Negotiator (as recommended by wiki, though I occasionally consider giving Record Keeper to some other dwarf to give him another rarely used Novice Skill)

I like to carve out large parts of my fortress right in the beginning instead of smaller lodgings, so I don't want to wait for lower-skilled minerdwarfs to take bloody ages. Thus, two Proficient Miners.

My Masondwarf: 5 Mason/1 Building Designer/1 Animal Trainer/3 Herbalist (Building Designer because he'll build most buildings that need this himself anyway, I can get a dedicated Building Designer later. Animal Training because he can do that with the starting dogs before he even has access to stone; same for Herbalist; if I need some herbalism done later I let immigrants do it. It's hard to find decent skills for this guy, but that's what I go with usually.)

My Armorsmith: 5 Armorsmith/4 Planter/1 Fish Cleaner (This guy will be occupied mostly with his planting and fish cleaning tasks, BUT once the metal industry kicks in, he's going to be the best Armorsmith I can get my hands on! Especially if I don't have magma I'm not in the mood to train immigrant guys to become this good, and I also can't rely on strange moods to give me legendaries.)

My Weaponsmith: 5 Weaponsmith/4 Carpenter/1 Woodcutter (Yeah yeah, hear me out. Carpentry is not usually as much of a fulltime job as being a Mason is, and a Novice Woodcutter is all I need. This guy will have periods of downtime, and in these he can make more kickass weapons than any immigrant. When immigrants come into play, I'd much rather have immigrant carpenters churning out subquality beds than immigrant weaponsmiths churning out subquality weapons. If wood is very sparse, even less reason to have a full-time Carpenter!)

My Provisiondwarf: 5 Grower/3 Brewer/2 Cook (Once immigrants help him he can become a dedicated Brewer or Cook as needed.)

My Fisherwithhiddentalentsdwarf: 3 Mechanic/2 Fisherdwarf/1 Metalsmith/4 Skill points I'd like to discuss (He's going to have stuff to do right from the beginning - Fish, fish fish, and give one of the other dwarfs something to do. I don't go for traps, so 3 Mechanic is all I need. You'll never need more than a Novice Metalsmith even if you do plan on having an early metal industry, considering quality levels don't mean jack shit for metalsmith items.)

The point people have made about bags is actually a very good one, so I might try to include this in the skill lineup of my last dwarf - though I think Tresher/Weaver/Clothier is more sensible than going for leather bags, as wild animals can easily chew through a hunterdwarf. Better to lose expendable immigrants hunting much later. On maps with magma and sand I will include Glassmaker too - Glassmaking will actually serve to relieve my Mason from some of his stress.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:28:24 am by Silfir »

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 05:18:05 am »

2 Miner
1 mason/mechanic/woodcutter/carp-enter (drop woodcutter in deserts/tundra)
1 farmer/herbalist/cook/buchter/tanner/brewer/fish cleaner (drop fish cleaner without fisherdwarf)
1 hunter/marksdwarf or fisherdwarf/wrestler or axedwarf/armoruser(deppending on surroundings)
1 'Rhenaya' named female dwarf with appraiser at 2 and 8 random social skills
4 dogs (my exp leader Rhenaya get animal training)
4 cattle (only if i use the axedwarf)
1 cat (started with 2, but since i got a gotdamned catplosion i decided to only keep a few male ones)

starting taktik will always be: looking for an decent entrance, but at first building a outpost like hole into the next mud to make stockpiles and a little office for my expedition leader (to start out some bookkeeping). also a carpenter and a mason. a kennel for instant-wardogs or hunting dogs (depending on surroundings again)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 01:40:08 pm »

I think I've given up on axes unless I am starting in a forest or jungle where TREES ARE THE ENEMY.  Instead I get a few hundred tower caps, build a fort, and then strip it down as I need beds and such when I can replace it with stone.

Okay, new build adjustment that worked out fine.

miner/wrestler
Carpentry/mechanic
mason/building designer
planting/cooking
planting/brewing
5appraiser/2bookkeeper/2negotiator/1conversationalist (the one sane dwarf of the party gets to be leader)
stone/bonecrafting (or whatever economically profitable trade I desire)

2 picks
1-3 hundred tower caps
15 plump helmet seeds
16 plump helmets
4 each other seed
100 turtles
1 each meat
extra bags
4 rope
2 dogs
1 wardog
3 cats
~100 bauxite
some silk so my dwarves can put menacing spikes on their artifacts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]