Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playing as other races  (Read 3369 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing as other races
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:22:48 pm »

Dont know if this should be in Modding or here, so i put it here

How do i play as other races in adventure mode...

like dragons!!!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as other races
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:45:12 pm »

I placed 40d right over the 40c server and for some reason im playing as humans  ;D
Also i can get dwarf meat, leather makes ice explosions, goblins are like elves, and kobolds are like goblins.
EDIT: Damn, thought we were in dwarf mode forum.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:57:00 pm by Broadsword »

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:12:48 pm »

Just add [ADVENTURER_TIER:#], where # is a number that isn't already being used.  Dwarves are by default, 3, Elves, 2, and Humans, 1.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:50:41 pm »

For dragons, you'll want something like this:

[ENTITY:TEST]
   [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:DRAGON]

These changes go in the entity_default file, by the way.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:54:31 pm »

Just add [ADVENTURER_TIER:#], where # is a number that isn't already being used.  Dwarves are by default, 3, Elves, 2, and Humans, 1.
Fail. This only works for goblins or kobolds, because this only works with a fully functional civ.

For dragons, you'll want something like this:

[ENTITY:TEST]
   [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:DRAGON]

These changes go in the entity_default file, by the way.

Do this. My favorite so far is playing as a titan, stealing a sword, and dueling with the other megabeasts of the world. Playing as a demon is also great, as you start out with high attributes, and a very good wrestling skill. Oh, and you can fly, making marksdemons uber.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 02:45:41 pm »

I made an adventurer dragon once. It could not breathe fire but could fly
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Zomadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:44:49 pm »

OK I would like to know how to moddify files lol I just have no Idea what to do, and I would also like to mess around in adventure mode as other races.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 07:49:45 pm »

(folder w/ DF)/raw/object/entity_default.txt

Double click to open it in notepad.  Insert the new entry between the [OBJECT:ENTITY] line and the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] line.  For each entity, the word after the colon ([ENTITY:WORD]) must be unique.  It doesn't determine any features of the civ, either.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zomadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 08:58:58 pm »

Thanks was playing a graphic pack and removed the txt by mistake so I made another, but now how do I fly?

Edit:Nvm found out how to fly but now playing as a mutant eagle with 10 wings 20 hearts ect any way I can grabe my enemy and pull him up realy realy high and drop?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:21:50 pm by Zomadan »

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 01:14:44 am »

Never tried grabbing my enemy and dropping him, but It'd probably do the same thing as moving away, seeing as you can't drag an enemy for some reason.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:11:44 pm »

Is it possible to play another race in Fortress game by this way ?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:15:03 pm by jomen »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 01:26:51 pm »

yes if thay can civ and have CIV_CONTROLLABLE
to get humans just add CIV_CONTROLLABLE  to the entity file.
note take CIV_CONTROLLABLE off any other entity
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »

You will have to note one of the civs in legends mode of the race you want to use.
Fortress mode lists by civ, not by race.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 10:23:32 pm »

Yea In order for fortress mode to work with a custom creature you need to have a full entry.  Many of the things in the civ entries directly control fortress mode behavior and not having them would make fortress mode unplayable at best.

Its also a bit tricky to make sure the species to work as well, they have to be intelligent, have to be able to open doors, have a grasping part like a hand, can't fly.  Many things that limit your options without knowing how to custom make a creature just for the mode.

Know that any other entities that are playable in fortress mode won't be able to trade with them, as civs with that setting rely on special case code to allow trading.  The special case code turns off when it detects that yer not the same race, which prevents trade with them. 

You'll also have to select your civ manually when choosing an embark site.  As all fortress mode civs show up on that list with no obvious distinction.  The best method if they both make detailed caves is to select a civ, then tab over to the predicted trade list.  The species of the civ you currently have selected will be on the top of the trading list.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that using a non standard race in fortress mode is possible, but is one of the more difficult things to mod.  You really should learn to mod though, while hard at first, once you start to figure the system out the rest just falls into place.  And it's far easier than most of those other games out there.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RogueGamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 02:16:04 pm »

(I'm new here.  :P )

Eh, I've followed all these instructions and have enjoyed adventuring as dragon, demon, titan, etc.

But how DO you fly? I haven't managed to figure that out. ???
Pages: [1] 2