Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders  (Read 25202 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

Dominions is a turn-based strategy game on an epic scale, with the ability to field massive armies of troops, summon devastating mythical creatures to serve you, and launch cataclysmic spells that may quite easily shatter the world.

You take the role of a powerful being or wizard, and either through obscure invocations or natural magnificience have proclaimed yourself as an immortal god.

But there are others who aspire towards the all-encompassing throne of godhood as well, and they bring forth their devout worshipers to do battle with all those who stand in their way.

So take up the mantle of a god, build glorious temples in your honor, and command the thousands of soldiers at your command to slaughter the heretics and chant praise to your divinity.  Go forth, and claim not a kingdom, not an empire, but a pantheon.
http://www.illwinter.com/dom/

And for those of you who already know the game, present your strategies/tactics/battle plans, and discuss which is your favorite race.

NOTE:  I am only mentioning the original Dominions, because it is the only one in the series to have a demo with no time limit.  Besides, it just looks nice.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

I've got Dominions 3, I want 1, but I cant find anywhere to buy it at.

Also, does anyone other than me love it when your warrior god gets an affliction in the first battle you put him in?

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

Heh, I once got a god who was inflicted with disease after a few turns.  He spent the rest of the game literally falling apart, as his eyes popped out and his arms fell off and his brain rotted away and eventually, finally, he died.  Just in time for the demo limit of 40 turns.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

Also, my strategy(s) in Dom 3, is get a Great Sage or Some other Mage/Wizard except the hag. I usually try to get them all paths of magic at atleast 2, sacrificing Order for turmoil, making more random event, but this is good with a high luck. I get growth 2 after changing the Heat/cold slider to either 3 or 2 , and put magic to drain 1 for extra points to put into Magic.

I usually end up with 3 Turmoil/3 Luck, 3 Growth/2 Heat/Cold, and 1 Drain. With 2-3 in every magic skill. I send him out with the first commander and troops to take over as many provinces as possible, while producing troops from the capitol, along with mages to research. I research Conjuration and Construction until they're both at level 3, then spread out the points to all others. I spread my Land, and send the God to search each and every province for magic sites (the 2-3 in every magic is really, really helpful for this). I produce a bunch of high grade weapons and armor for my god and prophet (usually the most powerful commander I could get), and send the Prophet to the Arena fights where he most always dominates, unless the other player gets about 7 moves before my guy does.

Skip to about 7 years, Attack the other gods with a huge army led by your prophet (should have about 180 leadership if he started with 80+ leadership) filled with heavily armored ground units, and back with about 1/3 archers and the god if you really think you want to risk some stray arrow mangling his brain or something.

I almost always win unless I get a terrible start.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

Any preferred races to hold sway over?  I must say, even though they drop like flies, playing as that monkeyrace (early Kailathasa or whatever it's called) is quite enjoyable.  Somehow, fielding massive armies of chittering and screeching monkeys to throw small pebbles at the enemy before they all get slaughtered by three guys who happened to put on armor that day is just one of those entertaining things.

Now, back to Dom1.  Only demo with Ermor in it, and I must say, I do so love Mr. Big Daddy of cheap shot races.

Beefing up a lich (gotta love immortality) with the points gained from having 3 cold, 3 sloth, 3 death, 3 turmoil and 2 drain is quite fun.  After slapping the rest of the points on 3 luck, maxed-out dominion strength and the bigger fort type, I've still got plenty of points left to beef up the death magery of ol' lichy-boy, as well as expand into other fields with the liche's admittedly rigid magic plan.

Wait a couple turns to get some goons for the front line, raise a mage to help with summoning, and then switch my leader over to research while the minion summons priests and more mages.

Whenever I take over a province, I start looting it for as much gold as I can squeeze out of it, which also helps pull down the population.  I use that gold for building a temple in each and every province I can get my slimy, rotten hands on.

After a while, I have a massive wasteland where more cheap soldiers rise up by the hundreds on a regular basis.  Soon, I have the ability to field multiple armies that are each 20,000 strong, and the mages I have spread out and around are constantly busy summoning stronger troop types, forging items for my lieutenants, and researching all the paths of magic.  A favorite technique is to summon a shadowy servant, give him a bane charm, and then tell him to go for a walk behind enemy lines.  If he doesn't get rooted out, the land dies and the people become diseased.  If he does end up killed, they now have a lovely death-inducing charm on their hands, as well as one officer who has instantly become diseased for picking it up.  It's just my way of assassinating people; the slow and painful way.

Spread dominion, conquer territory, pillage territory, build temple, repeat.  Even I can't mess up playing as Ermor, but I suppose everyone says that.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:01:00 am »

IM playing as Anysia lately, it's good fun to have a Demon prince with some magma warriors wipe out an entire county, and then summoning those dead ones into the now exponentially growing Demon's army. Barbarians make good soulless.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

Sadly, I have no idea what you're talking about.  The demo for Dom3 has the 'early' ages of Kailasa (now I remember), that celtic thing which Man turned into, Atlantis, Agartha, Arcosephale, and possibly an early version of C'tis, I'm not sure.

Sounds fun though.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Sadly, I have no idea what you're talking about.  The demo for Dom3 has the 'early' ages of Kailasa (now I remember), that celtic thing which Man turned into, Atlantis, Agartha, Arcosephale, and possibly an early version of C'tis, I'm not sure.</STRONG>

The Middle ages is the one I play in alot, because it's got alot of variety.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 11:15:00 am »

Weeeeel, t'ain't got none o' that thar var-i-ee-tee fer us oldtimer cheapskates!

The demo for the first Dominiions game comes with R'lyeh, Man, Pangaea, Arcosephale, Ermor, Abysia, C'tis, Vanheim, Jotunheim, Atlantis, Ulm, Pythium, Caelum, and Marignon.  However, the higher-level units for each race are disabled.  This, for some peculiar reason, includes the cheap cannon fodder goblins of Jotunheim, yet leaves all the giants open.

I may be missing a race...  But I think that's it.  They never seem to run dry on ideas for a new release, and it's nice to see original races for a change.

And having someone mod in the ability to play as a race of Hoburgs is always fun, even though I never got to try it.  I'd just spend a ton of gems on first awakening and then empowering some Hoburg stick-militia, and then field him along with the armored commanders to serve as a makeshift mage.  Playing a ginlyplayer hotseat can be fun.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

Im going to mod in Nadraks and Angaraks into Dom3, it's easy enough to do, just a paint file for the units and some stats. Maybe some Alorns.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

No clue what you're talking about, mate.  It's a reference I'm not aware of.

Abysia can be fun, but I've found that the excessive heat does not agree with blood slaves on the battlefield.  My 'gems' burn up before they can be of use, so I try to stick mainly to fire magic for them, maybe with a little astral or earth thrown in for good measure (and good armor).

Marignon is just plain cool.  You can really feel the fervor with that fire/astral combo, and with the intoxicating red color that's on everything.  You really can get a bit power-crazy with those guys, and creating your very own Spanish Inquisition is barrels of fun, as well as being a completely unexpected tactic.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

Ermor is pretty much the easiest race in the game. I won in only about three hours on a huge map. Just start with a 10 Domain god, and spam temples, and you pretty much win.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Yep.  Like I said, not even I can screw that up.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

Im thinking of playing against 5 Impossible AIs on a Large Random map. Maybe Ulm, the Fire Inquisition people, Lizards, and a couple others.

I think even that would be hard to go against.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

Ulm is a pansy against Ermor.  The heavy armor slows them down and fatigues them, and they don't have any nice priests to back them up.  Marignon, on the other hand, is devoted to destroying Ermor and its undead legions.  That turns into a rather nasty fight, when you lose half of your guys just because Mr. Level Six Priest cast a couple banishment spells.  And then it's time for his buddies to kick in.

C'tis is also rather mighty in the priestly aspect.  If you want a real challenge, puff out your chest against Atlantis.

Attacking them will be difficult, since your warriors are even less effective underwater than they normally are.  This, coupled with the massive armies Atlantis can field and the high-ranking priests that can back them up, you've got one hell of a pickle on your hands.

Also, Abysia can actually take a couple chunks out of you, but they're apushover if you can beat their heated dominion.  Holy Pyre is very nasty against a packed group of undead, and it's strictly a fire spell, which Abysians love.  However, they'll need help against Ermor.  So it's probably best only to have them tag along if they've got some of the other bad boys backing them up (to whatever extent that's possible).

Oh yeah, and Anathemant Dragons can land a few god-bomb artillery banishments in your troops as well.

EDIT:  Minor fix

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6