Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders  (Read 25104 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

Ill try that out tomorrow, sounds like a fun game.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 04:57:00 am »

I happen to own all three iterations of Dominions. It's amazing how people can be happy with a demo of the first one... I remember some people complained when Shrapnel Games decided that the demo should have a time limit. Now I know why...

Have you tried Conquest of Elysiun II? http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/CoE2/6.htm
It's an earlier game from Illwinter, it's free now, and it was done before they really got the hang of this "commercial" business. Games aren't supposed to have
that direct references...

I mean, I've seen a group like this:
a Wizard with a Ring of Fire, an elf, three hobbits(!), a dwarf, an unexpected hero and a hero. One of the heroes has a Sword of Sharpness. I started wondering, and poked at the empty bits... and found an invisible, fourth hobbit, with a sword named Sting, Mithril Chain Mail and The One Ring!

They wander around the world, and I think I got a message of the one ring being destroyed once...

There are some problems with the game model (defender always attacks first, so if both armies are equal before battle attacker's army is cut in half before it can act), and with the engine (if you lose, the AI keeps on playing against itself), but if you're happy with demo of Dom:PPP that shouldn't matter.

Janne )`*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

Heh heh, yeas, I've played CoEII.  Not only that, I played the demo of CoEII.   I hadn't heard that they released the full version for free.

Ahh, yes...  Elysium.   Getting together a massive collection faithful worshipers for El, and having huge armies spawning automatically around your territory...  That was fun.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 07:50:00 am »

My favourite choice in Elysium was a necromancer in fallen empire era. Walking around battlefields, raising an undead army, eventually turning into a lich - loads of fun.
Speaking of strange encounters, I once found God in that game.
No, really, he was sitting alone at a mountain site. I was to wussy to attack him though, I wonder what his powers were.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

I just tried the demo.

I haven't even done anything, except made a god and started a game, and I can already say this... WANT.  This is possibly the most epic thing ever.  I just wish there were more races for the demo(I'm playing the Dom3 demo, and it only has one playable race)

Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

What?  No it doesn't.  It's got Atlantis, Agartha, an old Arcosephale, Kailasa, and a few other thingies which I forget...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

I noticed that a few minutes after I posted, and never bothered to edit.  Soz.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

Too busy playing, eh?

Make sure to try out Kailasa.  Nothing says fun like an army of a hundred rhesus macaques with bows.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

It's a damn shame I suck at drawing with small pictures/sprites.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

I'm gonna buy Dom3 as soon as I get another £10. Gotta wait a month.    :(
(damn delivery fee for overseas)

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: DuncanFrost ]

Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

I found CoE to be much better than Dominions.  The leaders are so unique and awesome.  It's a lot of fun to play an eight-player hotseat game alone.  Everything is completely under your control and allows for some epic solo-RP.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

I always lose big time in any Dominions game. I just don't plan right or something.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

Anyone other than me notice how time flies whenever you're playing?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

Heh heh heh...  No, I don't think we notice.  At least not while it's happening.

And yeah, Dominions is not exactly my strong suit.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it's obviously something bad enough to count.  Two thousand iron constructs, wooden constructs, slingers, priests, minotaurs, and spearmen showing up at the door of my second castle said so.

Ermor seems to be the only thing I can win with.  Except maybe for Atlantis in a water-dominated map, but even then I have to work fast in order to overpower the enemy before they get too powerful.  Ermor, on the other hand, plays almost every turn into my favor, as regardless of what I do I get hundreds of free soldiers to die for my cause.  Still, I can't go on for two long, as without a bit of pressure the AI seems to amass a rather nasty set of spells...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Heh heh heh...  No, I don't think we notice.  At least not while it's happening.

And yeah, Dominions is not exactly my strong suit.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it's obviously something bad enough to count.  Two thousand iron constructs, wooden constructs, slingers, priests, minotaurs, and spearmen showing up at the door of my second castle said so.

Ermor seems to be the only thing I can win with.  Except maybe for Atlantis in a water-dominated map, but even then I have to work fast in order to overpower the enemy before they get too powerful.  Ermor, on the other hand, plays almost every turn into my favor, as regardless of what I do I get hundreds of free soldiers to die for my cause.  Still, I can't go on for two long, as without a bit of pressure the AI seems to amass a rather nasty set of spells...</STRONG>

The AI masses the easiest to make infantry, along with 1 or 2 elites, and about 5-6 commanders to hold all those troops, and other than that, it's all mages/anything with research. They go for enchantment and thaumatology or however you spell that. Then they cast world enchantments, and then I cast Oedipus' Fate every round to blind the guys that keep casting Eyes of the God.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6