Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Accursed Lands  (Read 17636 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accursed Lands
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

Does anyone play (or have played) Accursed Lands?  I just stumbled upon it for the first time a little while ago.  I'm always looking for games like Dwarf Fortress and I think I found something awesome.

If you haven't played AL, it is very similar to Cantr II and WurmOnline, but not tediously boring like those two can get (but I'm still a fan of those games anyway  ;) ).  It starts out looking like your averaged text-based MMO, but as soon as you try to attack a creature you will quickly find out just how different it is.  Everything in AL has been inspired by real-life.  Just as in Wurm Online, just about everything can be crafted.  Lighting a torch, for example requires all the necessary components.

My first experience was killing a rabbit.  The combat really reminded me of Dwarf Fortress.  Damage is location-based, and you can 'aim' for body parts.  After battle, you can skin the creature, then butcher it's meat for cooking and eating.

There are no levels, no 'classes' and no meta-gaming elements anywhere.  Instead of hit-points, you have body parts like Dwarf Fortress that can be damaged.  Every skill can be practiced from the start. Reading, skinning, crafting, fighting, hiking, etc can all be practiced.  There are no lame 'Practice points' you can spend.

The world is vast and really "feels' vast.  Travelling from one town to another takes planning and a lot of time.  It is very cool to see a creature like a bird in the same 'room' as you, but it still takes time to 'walk' up to the creature within that room.  If exploring is your thing, you can build a cabin in the mountains and live a trapper's life.

AL is a Role-player's dream come true.  Using channels to ask 'meta-game' questions is prohibited as is talking about game elements outside of the game (just like Cantr II).  Languages pose barriers to different races, and learning new languages can be a translator profession.  One of my favorite aspects of this game is the 'accent' command.  With it turned on, your words can come out with a different dialect.

There is just so much to this virtual life, that it's difficult to explain until you've played it.  Real weather effects, true light/darkness, caves you can explore and dig yourself.  I haven't died yet in my game, but according to help docs, the punishment is strict: 75 real-life minutes of being a ghost, unless someone resurrects you (not sure if it is perma-death or not).  This makes role-playing all the better.  I haven't come in contact with magic, but I've heard it is great too.  

It's just an awesome experience.  I hope I can get a few of you to come on and try it - the player-base is pretty small.  I think the DF forum is probably as good as anywhere to recruit new players.

Website (comes with a decent client): http://www.accursed-lands.com/

More Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accursed_Lands

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
Re: Accursed Lands
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

Checking it out now.  From what I'm seeing, it look interesting.  Almost like a MUD with the same goals as that one game.  It was called 'Trials of Ascendance' or something like that.

EDIT:  No, it was "Trials of Ascension".  Too bad it didn't find funding; I really liked the ideas.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Esagragoth ]

myd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

I tried it just now. Sadly i didn't encounter any other players. I did get my legs clawed by some bobcats while traveling through the mountains, which is nice since all the particular wounds are displayed. The crafting system also seems very deep - I'll try again tomorrow.

[ March 16, 2008: Message edited by: myd ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:27:00 am »

The wiki said we can dig tunnels. *A sly grin spreads across his face as he begins to imitate.*

(Oh, look! Another player...) "Hail, friend! Eh? Oh, yes. This cave fortress is indeed ours, it took many hours. Of course you can come in; perhaps we can trade! Yes... welcome to Boatmurdered! What? You smell something burning? That's absurd! There's no fire- No, we're not anywhere near a magma vein... I assure you."

This game looks like a fun distraction; I'll look into it, too.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

This looks like a good option for us if ever we get bored of Illarion, which we may do so before the three months before we can start our fortress. However we would only be able to play as goblins, not dwarves! Perhaps we could put ourselves off as bearded goblins?
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

Play as the goblin fortress mod?

I haven't tried Accursed Lands, but I think even a text-based game can beat Illarion for user interface.  It's absolutely insane...

But yeah, this looks like a good fallback.  I won't mind playing a text-based game, but there might be others who are adverse to the idea.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

I have tried this one a while ago, I'm playing it again.  :)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

*facepalm* Eating random things one finds in the forest? Not such a hot idea. Oh, and entirely unrelated--   :roll:  -- Accursed Lands has uncounciousness rivaling DF in terms of lethality.

Honestly quite fun however. If anyone has always wanted to try a MUD or is looking for one, it's a great choice. However, the strict roleplaying and 'in-characterness' prohibits Out-Of-Character knowledge. I'm not sure as to how we could make a team of goblins.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

Meet up and come with the idea icly. You might end up with non-df people too, but hey, part of the fun. I'm one of those cat-things, so I don't think I can help right now  ;)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

This is probably one of the best MUDs I've ever played.  What's crazy is, the last time I played a MUD was spring break, last year.  One year later, with a single post, the need to lie on the couch in my room, hiding from the real world, playing text-based RPGs suddenly returns.

The only problem is that there are SO MANY crafts, and SO MANY craft-related verbs, that I can't figure out how to make a outdoor campfire.  I've got firemaking down, but all I can do is light some tinder.  I can't get anything that'll last.

Shoes...

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

Maybe by getting a tree, and chopping it into logs, would allow you to use the tinder to light the logs?

Maybe.

Kayla.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

I haven't made a campfire either. XD I managed to light tinder and light my torch *from* the tinder, though. Not everything is lightable apparently.

I think you could ask that on the newbie channel; the lack of knowing a command or its syntax is newbie-answerable I understand. I asked if I could mix herbs together, and if so what the command was, but they told me alchemy isn't implemented yet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

I heard it wasn't, because that's IC, somehow.  Doesn't make any sense.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

I guess I got lucky, then. I understand their desire to preserve an in-character setting... but I feel like a total moron when my character is 20+ years old, was an out-doorsy sort of fellow and has to hit up random passerby for instructions on  starting a fire. =\

Ah well! It'll come in time, I suppose. Hopefully before I end up accidentally lighting up a forest.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>
Ah well! It'll come in time, I suppose. Hopefully after I end up accidentally lighting up a forest.</STRONG>

Fixed. Come on, you don't really want to learn what to do until after you've created a catastrophic disaster that kills many, do you?

I used to be an avid MUD player. Maybe I'll roll up a character.

Pages: [1] 2 3