Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Accursed Lands  (Read 18033 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accursed Lands
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

Hah! Can't argue with that. One character already managed to badly burn an NPC by accident. =)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

Mentors are more or less allowed to give you better hints. Finding someone with experience helps too. Also, you can light a log on fire, works the same, but yah, you can get burned. And finally, analyze is your friendly command. Takes quite a few tries if you suck with crafts tho.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

Thanks Soulwynd. Logs aren't going to be easy however, axes aren't cheap and I don't think you can sell items to NPCs. Or if you can, I haven't found one yet.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Smiths start with iron ingots. If I can figure out the smithing system, I may be able to make an axe.

I know how much us DF players enjoy wikis, so here is what appears to be the official AL wiki. http://www.editthis.info/alwiki/Main_Page

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

As difficult as it is, I find it quite fun. Specifically the perma-death is what I *really* like. You start becoming a bit suspicious of people for silly reasons when everything is at stake. =P

I want to make a miner/smith one day. I wanted to try alchemy and cooking but ironically neither is finished yet.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 12:57:00 am »

The ability to dick around in a very complex game world sounds great, but the forced roleplay and looming threat of PVP (only dangerous in combination with permanent death) put me off.  Really, I could deal with the former grudgingly, but the latter is a deal-breaker.  I don't mind the risk of character loss at the hands of an angry bear or whatever, as that's my foolishness at work.  I do mind permanent death at the hands of some experienced chucklehead looking for easy targets.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

I can understand the RP, but the PVP is a non-issue so far for me. You also have a starting "newbie shield" to prevent hostile actions from players for a time. Though it also prevents beneficial hostile actions, like sparring.

Players playing a character-murderer are encouraged also to find a way to spare new characters for that very reason, apparently.

But yeah, if you dislike forced RP, this game might not be your cup of tea. =\

Kisab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

I play Accursed Lands, and have been there for quite some time.  Nearly a decade!  Anything that's not horribly IC (In Character), I'd be more than happy to answer on here, if you are planning on joining, or just curious.

Anyways, let me know.  I also go by the channel name of Kisab on Accursed Lands, as well, so you can find me here, or on Accursed Lands!

Anyways, thanks for your interest in our mud, I hope more of you come by and check it out!  Adventure awaits :)

his is great.  I stumble upon this site, and all I get to do is put in my signature.  I''m worth more than that!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

I've just made a goblin woodman/crafter. It's fun so far, it's been a long time since I've MUDed.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kisab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

Everyday is something new in Accursed Lands, regardless of what you choose to do (or for some, choose not to do).  You can do basically anything, and be just about anything you like.  It's very diverse.

Another good thing to check out is the "request /list" command.  With this, it shows a lot of features that are being worked on in Accursed Lands, and gives every player the chance to vote on what he or she thinks would best be completed/worked on before others!  The more votes for each thing, the more likely it'll be implemented sooner.

Not only that, you can suggest your own ideas using the note command (help note, in game), note idea.  With this, you can think of anything that would be related to Accursed Lands (even if you've never seen it before, if you think it'd be a good fit, feel free to note it) and perhaps, sooner or later, see it in game.

Besides the ideas, and what is soon going to be put in the game, AL is vast.  It is deep, intriguing, there is something grabbing your attention at every minute!

Come visit the place, check out the forums, leave your input, find out about AL for yourself.

Again, I'm here for any questions that anyone might have related to Accursed Lands, so as to better situate you folks into playing.

his is great.  I stumble upon this site, and all I get to do is put in my signature.  I''m worth more than that!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

I like it a lot (I go by the same account name there, so give me a :wave if you see me) but I have a hard time finding other active players (not npcs) . I've been playing for three days and haven't seen one. A great RPG, nonetheless.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

They tend to gather in one or two areas, I think the world is a little too big for its playerbase, right now. =P

Anyways there's a new "whoareas" command that should show how many real people are in the vicinity. That ought to help.

Also, looking away from AL to read an instant message while you're standing in the middle of the wilderness? Bad idea. Ow.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

It's fun being robbed by someone who doesnt understand your language.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>It's fun being robbed by someone who doesnt understand your language.</STRONG>

Oh, that's fun. Interacting with a foreigner is fun by itself. But, the server seems down, as well as the web site. Anyone else go this issue?

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

I've been wandering, lost, through the wilderness for the past 3 days - dying from thirst.  I have traveled more than 500 miles, avoiding bears and wolves, but I have yet to find a single point-of-interest.  It seems to me that there should be more to see considering the distance I've traveled.  I've been writing in a journal about all of my adventures so I hope after i'm gone someone can pick it up and enjoy what I've accomplished.

Here's a couple questions though.  Do things decay over time?  I would hate to die, and then have all of my belongings dissapear so that another player couldn't pick them up later.  Also, I've yet to find any creature other than what could be found on Earth (besides other PC's), are there any NPC monsters in AL?

Pages: 1 [2] 3