Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress  (Read 25018 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress
« on: June 21, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

Just wondering if anyone else has played RPG World Online.  I found it while browsing Abandonia Reloaded website.  I mention it because it's very much like Dwarf Fortress in scope, except that it is a MMORPG.  The world is very dynamic.  Players can make their own items, build houses and develop useful skills.

Abandonia Review

My Review

RPG World Online home page (It seems that the site is down for some reason, it was working just fine a couple days ago)

Edit: Sorry about this post.  I didn't realize this forum was for "Other Bay12Games Games"

[ September 19, 2007: Message edited by: lumin ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

In case anyone else stumbles upon this, I feel the need to point out that while the game has excellent potential, the player base is full of the most horrible little nasty overcompensating 1337 speaking offensive teenagers I've ever seen, and I can't play the game for that reason alone.  So anyone who considers trying out RPGWO (which I played for several years before giving up out of frustration), you have been warned...

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

That's the biggest reason I don't play MMORPGs (Come on, it says "Role Playing" in the name) and leave it at playing Neverwinter Nights online.

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

I dunno, I rather think New World Order and Kirin have a decent playerbase. Kirin's all SAfags and /b/tards anyways, I suspect.

Also, holy shit other people have heard of RPGWO

A man once said to me, "If you want superpowers, all you have to do is take acid and you'll have any superpower you want." He then asked if I had just, at that moment, shaved half my face; I revealed that as being my superpower. Being suddenly and inexplicably half-shaven.

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG> the player base is full of the most horrible little nasty overcompensating 1337 speaking offensive teenagers I've ever seen, </STRONG>

I have played RPGWO on and off over the years. Although it has been a while since I played last, I do remember the player base being fairly good. I do remember some 1337ers but I think it depends on what worlds you play.

You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

I played on the "role playing strictly enforced" world (the name was always being changed).  I've never played a game with such a terrible player base.  Maybe it has changed since I quit playing, but I'd say a good 75% of all chat on that game was people hurling juvenile insults at each other.  Of course, the server owners refused to make me a Mod simply because I offered to, to put a stop to all that crap...  They only choose mods who have never asked to be one.  Because that makes perfect sense.

I don't think I ever played more than an hour without some ridiculous flame war starting up (often targeted at me since I bothered to use proper grammar and spelling, which apparently made me "t3h gh3y").

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 09:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jusal:
<STRONG>That's the biggest reason I don't play MMORPGs (Come on, it says "Role Playing" in the name) and leave it at playing Neverwinter Nights online.</STRONG>

Well yes, take World of Warcraft for example. Its full with people with IQ <= 80, or at least most of the people are acting like that on the PvP servers. RP servers are somewhat better....The sad thing is that lot of those people are not even "young". When I was playing most of the people in my guild were above 25 years of age, but seriously most of them were acting like small kids. I have no idea that how is this possible, but its true.

[ August 09, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

Achaea has a great player base. Role Playing is strictly enforced, so you you won't see any 1337-speak. It is a MUD, by the way, but definately worth a try. Completely free.  :)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

Ah, yes, MUDs are wonderful.  My favorite was always Necromium.  Most of those irritating little kids are too lazy to play a game that requires you to read and type, and they wouldn't even look at a game without graphics anyway.  Just like this game - the player base is awesome because the types of people who will play an ASCII game are not the types of people who turn me off of typical MMOs.

We're all awesome.

Group hug!  :D

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

I don't know how crowded RPGWO servers are now as I haven't played in quite a while, but there are ways around having to communicate with most of the people on them. There are in-game commands to ignore globals (messages to the whole server) and tells (private messages, if you will).

Also... <_< Private servers, anyone? Most are crap, but they would probably be decent if you just want to play by yourself.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:02:00 pm »

I wouldn't play an MMO that I had to pay for, and the free ones don't generally have private servers.  Also, I feel like the point of playing an online game is to interact with people - if I can't enjoy that, then I might as well play a single player game like LCS or DF.  And so I do.  :D

Player_0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

I used to play Achaea when i was in High School, my name was Khadeb. As far as MUDs go the best one i have ever played is Dragon Realms. Its actually $15 a month and I pay it because its that good. Heavy role playing and detailed realistic combat system. Its skill based meaning you have to improve your skills individually so to improve foraging you have to forage for different herbs and things. Combat and magic skills are the same way. If you wanna try it theres a 30 day free trial on the web site http://www.play.net/dr/

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

Achaea is a great game, although, if you want to try something with ASCII graphics like DF, I would recommend trying 'BatMUD' (don't ask me how they came up with the name).  It really closely resembles DF in terms of detail and scale.  It is completely free, there are no, 'buy credits for levels' (as in Achaea), it runs completely on donations.  There are tons of cool races, from Sprites to Giants - each with cool unique abilities.  There are realistic weather and day/night effects and countless types of items to be found.

It looks like the creators of BatMUD have begun a new campaign to gear their game toward the MMORPG crowd as well, since they have released a new, sweet game client - free to download with constant improvements and updates.  Their character creation system has gotten an overhaul as well with new racial balances.

Read my review at DungeonDelve.net

Play the game: BatMUD

[ September 20, 2007: Message edited by: lumin ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »

As long as we're plugging MUDs here, there's one called Geas (http://www.geas.de/) that I've been playing on and off for the last couple of years. It's got an amazing level of detail and is roleplay-enforced, though unfortunately none of my characters have ever gotten very far, due to me getting bored with only rarely seeing other players on during the times I can play. And of course the few I did run across were all wrapped up in some RP drama that went completely over my head.

In fact I often do feel out of depth in roleplaying situations - I just can't seem to think fast enough to decide how my character would react and then do all that emoting, and I get sick of everyone being so ultra serious all the time.  :( It's especially unfortunate because as others have stated, that kind of game are great for keeping the more immature folks away, and I do like the idea of roleplaying, I'm just terrible at it in a 'chatroom' like setting. (I wish more people were still up for play-by-email games, that's where I got started at and is still what I prefer...)

The only thing I've ever found that seemed practically made for me is a browser-based game called Cantr. (http://www.cantr.net/) It's a slow-paced, roleplay-enforced game that you can play for just five minutes a day if you want, and I've honestly never seen anything remotely like it. There's no magic, gold coins, convoluted backstory or anything like that - your characters (you can have up to 15) are just normal people who live, roleplay and work (work projects continue even when you're offline) with others in whatever place they decide to settle in. The cities themselves are built by players who gathered the resources and made the tools to put up the buildings, create their own system of government and laws (and ways to enforce them), build ships and other vehicles to explore, set up trade, etc.  

It's not for everybody, but if you're looking for something different you might give it a try. It only has two major flaws - 1.) the player base is much too small for the size of the world (and most of the players are Polish, living on the Polish continent, though their explorers are having more and more contact with English-speaking players lately), and 2) the staff seems bound and determined to stop characters from making any progress and slowly suck all the fun out of the game in the name of 'realism'.  :(

Apostle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

A shameless plug for one of my favorite old haunts in hopes of it regaining it's forever lost majesty, http://www.forsakenlands.org

It's pk oriented and roleplay is unforgivingly enforced, great game but has a learning curve such that you will die and die alot until you start to get seasoned.  Though it definately weeds out any of the 1337ers there's still some younger kids looking to stroke their egos.  Free to play but does require a client like gmud(free also) or zmud to really play.

For my count the best online games will always be text based.  DragonRealms was king for ages until they decided to nerf the exp system.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4