Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24956 times)

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
Re: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>
The only thing I've ever found that seemed practically made for me is a browser-based game called Cantr. (http://www.cantr.net/) It's a slow-paced, roleplay-enforced game that you can play for just five minutes a day if you want, and I've honestly never seen anything remotely like it. There's no magic, gold coins, convoluted backstory or anything like that - your characters (you can have up to 15) are just normal people who live, roleplay and work (work projects continue even when you're offline) with others in whatever place they decide to settle in. The cities themselves are built by players who gathered the resources and made the tools to put up the buildings, create their own system of government and laws (and ways to enforce them), build ships and other vehicles to explore, set up trade, etc.  
</STRONG>

Woah! I think they just got another player now!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

I tried Cantr but it just didn't work for me.  It was too slow-paced I guess, and there were too many rules in place made by the players in the town I randomly spawned in.  If they made a brand new, clean world for the game, a second server or something, I might be interested in helping set up a civilization, but when they're already in place and you immediately have to start following the laws and all that (which means lots of reading before you can even play), it just doesn't seem like fun to me anymore.  Seems an awful lot like life.  :(

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 09:05:00 am »

Cantr has a new player! Me!

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »

Gah! I registered for cantr, logged on, and then logged off while I travelled. Then I realized I had deleted the e-mail with the log-in ID number.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>Gah! I registered for cantr, logged on, and then logged off while I travelled. Then I realized I had deleted the e-mail with the log-in ID number.</STRONG>

You might try going to the General Support forum and telling somebody in the PD about it, they should be able to help.

And I've got to say I'm thrilled to see some of you giving it a try - it's definitely a very niche game and I can see why some just can't get into...but then again I guess you could say the same about DF. It may be that people here are just more open-minded about games with learning curves.

And Sappho - a lot depends on where your character spawns. There are a few towns that are very strict, but the vast majority just have basic 'don't attack people/don't steal/don't hunt the animals into extinction' rules. I actually enjoy the places with 'unique' cultures just because they're not more of the same, though I know they can seem pretty intimidating to a new player.
(though if you absolutely hate wherever you wound up, keep in mind you can always 1.) Stick it out and tell the heavily armed people exactly what you think of their government, for hilarious results, 2.) walk to the next town, 3.) start a new character and let that one starve. (you're limited to the number you can play at first, but keep in mind you'll eventually have 15 slots to toy around with)

And starting a brand new civilization actually isn't as fun as you'd think...I've had characters on primitive islands before. Having to punch a rabbit to death to make a bone knife and trying desperately to gather healing food yourself faster than lions and boars can maul you, while having no idea where to get the hematite and limestone and coal needed to make iron because travelers never survive long enough to draw a map gets old after awhile.    

As for the 'too slow' part, well, nothing I can say about that, it is a slow game. It might be a little while before you get some decent equipment for your character, and whether that's bearable or not depends a lot on luck - I've landed a couple in towns filled with mostly inactive characters ('sleepers')...I take that as a challenge to see if I can shake things up, but I know it must be  a huge turn off for newbies who may not realize that better experiences are available just one town away.

If you ever give it another try, some general advice for your first day:        

1.) introduce yourself: "Hi, my name is [whatever]. I'm new here, can anyone give me some advice?" (later on you might try to mix it up with emotes, but that's all you really need)

2.) Click 'Objects' and find the laws. This is usually a note titled 'Laws of [townname]. Everyone must read!' As I said before, practically every town has a no killing/stealing/poaching law, and going into buildings that don't belong to you is usually a no-no too. (hint: picking up random items off the ground is almost universally considered stealing...discarded bone tools and animal products are usually the exception, but it's still best to get permission first if there isn't a note explicitly stating they're free.

2.) There should be a map (most likely several) on the ground along with the laws and other miscellaneous junk. Make yourself a copy, if you ever plan to travel or trade you'll need it.

3.) Start gathering potatoes or carrots or whatever. Most towns are cool with this. If there's no food readily available, just ask for some. You might also take this opportunity to ask for a job, so you can start earning sweet sweet iron for making weapons and tools and everything else you need to elevate you from the primitive loincloth and bone knife stage.

And that's all you need to know to start out, though there are some other handy things you'll eventually learn, like the benefits of sucking up to wealthy old people with lots of extra equipment, how to get a sense for which towns will let you bend the rules and which ones will sabre you for stealing 10 grams of small bones, etc. but that all comes in time.

I know it may seem frustrating at first when you realize it might take a few hours for someone to answer your questions (some towns are just sleepy, and even in relatively active ones there's no way to tell right off what timezone the other players are in), or that it could take over a week for your new character to get established, but keep in mind that this isn't a game meant to be played by hitting F5 over and over impatiently waiting for results. It's more like something you'd check between classes or during a coffee break - though if you have an excess of free time, just make 10 or 15 characters to guarantee there's always something going on, you'll have your hands full in no time, especially if some of them manage to weasel into leadership positions.

[ September 24, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

Necro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

On the swedish server, I've started out in a town named Scerparilia Nusofeld.
The laws here are rather peculiar. If your name begins with G, you have to slap yourself in the face 20 times. And everyone younger than Karl-Halvar (the leader I think, he speaks with himself in third person)) must be naked. But they also must make a pair of sandals as soon as possible.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

Perhaps I'll give it another try.  I do have an excess of free time at the moment, though I try to keep it filled with DF whenever I can.  I suppose I ended up spawning in an overly strict town on my first try.  I also remember starting a character on the German server, but it was taking something like two real life days to walk between locations and after a week I still hadn't found anything useful to do, so I just gave up and stopped playing the game.

I do tend to quickly get bored with games where you can only play for a few minutes a day.  I tried a bunch of them, like Human Age and Renaissance Kingdoms, but I couldn't keep interest in something like that, or I'd forget to log in for a day and come back to find my character starving or something.  It seemed less like a game and more like a chore that I had to remember to do every day.

But like I said, I'll give this one another chance.  Here's hoping it's more fun than last time.  Do any of you current players want to post your location here, maybe I'll get lucky and find you?

Necro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

I made another character on the english continent. His name is Kjask and he spawned in a town called Kiii.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

Just started playing today.  I started out in a small village on fairly small, recently discovered island.  As far as I know, there are only 5 of us in the whole village!  I guess, according to the rules we're not supposed to talk about names or locations out of the game.  I really like this idea.  Too often in MMORPG's the game is spoiled because I know where everything lies on the world map.  Also, in other games, using "Tells" to talk to other players in a different continent is pretty unrealistic.  This game definately makes you feel like your part of a huge, undiscovered world.  Also since actions like traveling and doing projects are all in real time, traveling to another city is a real undertaking - not to be taken lightly.

It would be nice, however, to have different fantasy races involved that could build dungeons and role-play as a more sinister, war-like race, to give you something to do other than farm or make stuff.

What's the deal with restricting you to playing only a few hours a day?  I'm only playing one character and I found that i'm using up the whole time easily.  Do they just have bandwidth issues, or are they just trying to make money this way?  It says that I cannot play until tomorow - does that mean game-time (GMT) or my own local time (MST) tomorow?

Other than a couple gripes, this is a really awesome game...er...experience.  This is EXACTLY what an MMORPG should be.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

It's a common thing for browser-based games. Basically, it's a game mechanic to make sure everyone is on an equal footing. It gets annoying, but the advantage is you don't have single players doing nothing else dominating the economy and destroying the ability of others to get ahead. Doesn't always work, but that's the reason.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »

Woot! As it turns out, the e-mail was still in my inbox, so  I logged in again and was able to continue my travelling down some unknown road to another unknown location! Lupus Magnus shall soon fulfill his dream of becoming a politican, who will one day gain many followers and overthrow the government of his town (that he will then rule with an iron fist.)

Hey, I can dream, right?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

I'm still waiting for my account to be approved.

Why does it need to be approved, anyway?  It's not like you have to fill out anything to prove you can roleplay...

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »

Damn, I submitted registration 2 days ago for this game and still hasn't received a reply. Should I do it again or it is usual to have such delays before you're approved?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

Okay, I'm in.  I have a character named Sappho on the English server, stuck on a small, overpopulated island in the city of Kwor, so that'll be fun, and a character named Chance on the German server who started in a town where apparently everyone speaks Spanish, and all the notes are written in Spanish.  So that's fun, cause I hardly speak any Spanish.  There are other people online on the German one, but they are all whispering to each other instead of helping me, even though I was very polite - could it be that they don't even speak German?  This is very confusing!  One language at a time!

And before anyone asks, yes I am sure it is the German server.  The interface is all in German.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>Okay, I'm in.  I have a character named Sappho on the English server, stuck on a small, overpopulated island in the city of Kwor, so that'll be fun, and a character named Chance on the German server who started in a town where apparently everyone speaks Spanish, and all the notes are written in Spanish.  So that's fun, cause I hardly speak any Spanish.  There are other people online on the German one, but they are all whispering to each other instead of helping me, even though I was very polite - could it be that they don't even speak German?  This is very confusing!  One language at a time!

And before anyone asks, yes I am sure it is the German server.  The interface is all in German.</STRONG>

I saw you talking to someone while I was playing Cantr.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4