Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24886 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

Apparently this island is both Spanish and German.  So I'll have to wander a bit to find a German-speaking settlement.  What's your character's name, Bien?  I think that guy was speaking to me in Dutch - similar enough to German for us to communicate semi-effectively, but not similar enough for me to understand everything he was trying to tell me.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>Woot! As it turns out, the e-mail was still in my inbox, so  I logged in again and was able to continue my travelling down some unknown road to another unknown location! Lupus Magnus shall soon fulfill his dream of becoming a politican, who will one day gain many followers and overthrow the government of his town (that he will then rule with an iron fist.)

Hey, I can dream, right?</STRONG>

LOL, I think I just saw you earlier today. One of the Klojt mountains? (And for anyone who's wondering, it is okay to share the name's of your characters, even your locations, it's just generally frowned upon because it makes it easier for people to cheat, and on the official forums at least it can lead to a lot of drama and accusations. Talking about current events isn't allowed at all though...can't have somebody rushing home because they learned OOC that their town is under attack, for instance.  

And Sappho, glad you're giving it another try. The Spanish thing might be because you're actually on a Spanish island - if there were at least two German explorers there at the same time within the last two days, you've got a chance (albeit a small one) of spawning in that location. I guess Cantrian reproduce by giving off spores or something.    :(

quote:
lumin:
It would be nice, however, to have different fantasy races involved that could build dungeons and role-play as a more sinister, war-like race, to give you something to do other than farm or make stuff.

Well, there's nothing stopping a sinister, warlike race of humans forming, except for the fact that most players seem to prefer boring egalitarian societies, so raising an army is hard. There was a highly organized group called the Barons that wiped out a good portion of a continent awhile back though, so it is possible.

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

I propose we start a band of pirates.  Pirates are fun!  Anyone with me?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

Sounds fun, but planning something like that here would be considered major cheating.  :(

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 10:34:00 pm »

I'm on an island, part of the Kasparov Archipelago in a town called Guildport.  So far, everyone speaks English and have been very helpful.  A girl and another man are planning to leave the village to build a house together in a remote forest soon.  I'm called Aerolan and I've just spent the past 3 days sowing clothes for myself.  There is a lot of cool history on my island.  Apparently a much older civilization lived there that spoke a different language, so a lot of the older maps are indecipherable.  

Is it just me, or does Cantr feel a lot like Myst?  I spend a lot of my time reading documents, maps and histories of other people, while making my own notes and journal entries.  Very cool!

The neat thing about this 'game' is that it doesn't seem like it has a whole lot of hard-coded information.  It isn't very complex, and probably isn't very hard to program, because it puts all of the 'programming' into the hands of players.  Absolutely ingenious!

By the way, I wrote a little review about the game at my site.

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: lumin ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
<STRONG>
By the way, I wrote a little review about the game at my site.
</STRONG>

Nice! You explained all the unique elements much more clearly than I did, next time I tell a friend about the game I'll have to point them to your site.  :)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

Alright, I signed up for Cantr a week ago, but was put off by the interface. I came back to it today, and I can definetly dig this game. It's a little weird that it just sticks you into some populated place, completely naked, and knowing nothing about the area. At first I tried roleplaying this as having amnesia, but everyone just takes it in stride that some naked guy just appeared. "Oh, you spawned here. You can have some potatoes."  :roll:

Well, I guess you have to suspend disbelief in this sort of thing. I'm in a strange city, with strange people, naked, with no memory of how I got there: I'm making myself some dang pants.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 10:47:00 am »

Solara: Yep, sounds like it was me. I'm on the road again now... still a pretty long way to go. Saw some guy getting mauled by a chick with a crossbow, and now we're chatting a bit. My character is heavily inspired by Salvor Hardin from the Foundation series.  :D

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

Cantr is great!  :D
I made an mad philosopher, first thing I knocked on a "center for the mentaly sick" and asked for the king! It turned out to be an democracy, so good lock with that!  :D   :roll:
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

It seems interesting enough, and I do have some experience with RP enforced games.  
Might as well have a go at it.

EDIT: For posterity, my last guy was eaten by a warg. Shadows of Isildur FTW!

EDIT 2: OK, I'm in too. Rakl Bantur has been spawned in a nice place called Seatown. I have no idea where the place is, but the people are friendly. Just don't piss off the knights and you're golden.

[ October 04, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

[ October 05, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

I tried Cantr, but it kept freezing. Also, is there a way to see where you are, not just despriptions?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

I renounce, this game is boring. I have been "playing" for like a month now and it's only farming and cloth making and occasionally lame Hollywood romance RP when a random newspawn starve, I've basically stopped playing it (check it in five min like once a week waiting for my character to starve).
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 09:36:00 am »

Alright, I've joined (Helmaroc Flyyur) and I'm pretty clueless. I've spawned at an unamed location in the lands of Kwor, and on my location map there is a orange dot (i guess thats me) and a black dot. I'm traveling on a road to the north-east. Any basic strategies? And what are those dots on the map?   :(

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

The game goes way too slow, loading-wise, not game wise, I clicked on my character about 4 minutes ago and nothing has even happened.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

The server's not the greatest on the planet. It goes down at least 2 or 3 times a day without fail. It can be ridiculously slow when a lot of people are logged in and active too. I'd love to start playing again, but like a lot of people have pointed out. All the U.S. cities are the same. There's nothing really unique about anything in the game anymore. Everything follows the same basic model, people give you free stuff when you spawn, for no reason.

I miss the days when the Cantr world was still young and new and fresh things were being done. Hell, there was one character who is pretty much famous, because he explored a HUGE portion of the world, drew up maps and wrote a few books in his lifetime. You don't see too many people doing stuff like that any more, and it's kind of sad.

The game has kind of diluted down into a resource farming "omg i needz to maek stuffz" kind of game than it is a real roleplay anymore. Granted people still do dull, boring roleplay, but there's nothing anywhere near as involved as there used to be. political intrigue is all but unheard of nowadays.

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4