Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress  (Read 25044 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Other Games Like Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

God I feel old.  I read this thread thinking to find some new games to play and saw Player_0 talking about Dragon Realms.  I was actually in the beta for that WAY back when.  Then it went to a pay by hour system and that pissed me off.  That was definatly a game like dwarf fortress.  I had a spider thief back then, and i ran across a group of people standing around a chest. So i snag the chest, climb a wall, and start laughing at them when one breathes fire at me, one flies up dual wielding battle axes, and the third start blasting me with spells.  After a fairly quick fight I then had to roll up another char because they camped me for about an hour. God i miss those days.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

I think Cantr looks like it could be enjoyable, but its very different than other games. And the pace of the game takes getting used to. So far I'm on the island and I met a man named Dr. Petron. I tried to converse with him but he kind of spaced off and stopped replying. Oh well.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

I've been playing cantr since I noticed it listed on this thread and I have to say, it's pretty fun (if you like tradeskill text based stuff like that). I finally have the hang of it and have a few of my characters trading and building up a bit of business.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by beorn080:
<STRONG>God I feel old.  I read this thread thinking to find some new games to play and saw Player_0 talking about Dragon Realms.  I was actually in the beta for that WAY back when.  Then it went to a pay by hour system and that pissed me off.  That was definatly a game like dwarf fortress.  I had a spider thief back then, and i ran across a group of people standing around a chest. So i snag the chest, climb a wall, and start laughing at them when one breathes fire at me, one flies up dual wielding battle axes, and the third start blasting me with spells.  After a fairly quick fight I then had to roll up another char because they camped me for about an hour. God i miss those days.</STRONG>

Are you talking about the text-based Dragon Realms?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

Cantr is nice in concept, but too clunky and too slow.  I got bored of it and just stopped playing.  I mean, all I was doing was crushing ore.  I tried to chat and get involved in other stuff, but trying to actually find online people was difficult.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 10:23:00 am »

I have only had bad experiences with cantr. After 4 days, 2 rejected accounts (and 1 which didn't even make the activation queue), 2 ignored emails and a pointless forum thread, I have decided that this game isn't worth my time, especially considering how much of a hassle they put you through just to register. The funny thing is they complain about not getting many new players and act like it's a big mystery....:P

[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Vodalian ]

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

Double post...

[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Vodalian ]

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Anybody tried playing Materia Magica?  I started playing a few days ago, it seems pretty fun - better than most MUDs I've played.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

I must say that I personally hate Materia Magicka, although if I had never played any other muds, it would be a wonderful one. The reason I hate it, is that pretty much every other MUD (not MOOs or Mushes) seems to derive its exact skills/classes/so on.

That said, if your looking to expel some time playing MUDs, I suggest either LegendMud or Lensmoor (neither of these which I have played in the last year, so I can't tell you how dense or sparsely populated they have become.) Legendmud because it has a really cool RP-playerbase, and is just a blast (especially the magic system). Lensmoor because it has crafting and thats always a plus for me, plus its just fun to dink around with a classless system.

(By the way, LegendMud has 'three' (or maybe more now), 'time' areas, so you travel into the future, or back into time, or what have you. But it also forces you to really play and read it, because if you walk into an area without first looking at that area, you could easily come across an insta-death zone, which all your equipment is thusly gone forever. That said, its really, really fun)

Kayla

Edit: While I do hate MAteria Magica, it is fun (albeit unsophisticated), and the seemingly endless amounts of muds derived from it is probably because of that. So give it a shot, take a twirl, have a fun roundabout.

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]