Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UnReal World  (Read 10071 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
UnReal World
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

Some of you may have heard it mentioned in passing on the forums, some of you already know all about it, and some of you have no idea what I'm talking about.

URW is a game that pits the player against, well, the world.  Survival is the name of this particular game, and sometimes it will come easily, other times not so much.  Featuring an incredibly in-depth yet only somewhat annoying world, URW allows players to chop down a tree, cut it first into blocks which then get turned into firewood, light a fire from the wood, and finally settle down to cook some of that fox that you caught in your hand-made trap.

Build a cottage and stake your claim to a small section of the world, or wander around it while stopping to make a lean-to out of sticks and a campfire to keep you warm for the night.  

Set out from your place of rest in search of wild animals for your supper, but be watchful for barbarians prowling the woods!  Perhaps you'll come across a fellow hunter in the woods who will agree to follow you on a hunting trip for a few days if you give him some food and drink, and perhaps a weapon to defend himself with.

If times get rough and food becomes scarce, dire measures can be taken...  Pull out your weapon and crack the hunter's head open, allowing you to gut his carcass for much-needed meat which will last you the coming winter.

Do you trap animals and sell the furs to a trader in a nearby village for supplies?  Do you reject civilization, and live on your own in the wilderness?  Or do you perhaps settle down in a quiet village to farm your crops and maybe find a good wife?

All things are possible in the cold lands of the UnReal World.

So, anyways.  I just downloaded and installed this little gem, and can happily say it has further reduced my efficiency.  Even just the demo has become addictive, although I'm playing fast and hard to try and squeeze the most out of the in-game time limit.    So far, one hunter has met his death to some illness or another (I think it may have had something to do with that mushroom I ate...  Or maybe the hunting spirit got ticked off with me for not thanking him enough for that reindeer), and another is rushing towards starvation, held back only by the roasting flesh of one very unfortunate trapper.

I pose a question for those who have played it:  Is it worth buying?  And if so, which package?

Also, who do you like to play as and under what conditions?

P.S.
Finnish is one crazy language.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:24:00 am »

I'm downloading the demo now.  How dare they make a time-limit demo?  That's the lowest thing you can possibly do.  Who cares if you have all the features, you can't do anything with them.  Sins of a Solar Empire did the same thing, and it takes forever to accomplish anything in that, so you're pretty much screwed.
quote:
Now  the badgers can't rip off your arms nor you need to be afraid of beavers easily gnawing you to pieces.  

I think I'm going to like this game.

[ March 25, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

I bought a single version, sammi doesnt updaTE OFTEN SO IF YOU WERE GONNA BUY IT
buy th 4 dollar single version.

It gets old after awhile just not enough variety...

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

I've been playing around with the demo, a bit. I keep accidentally eating spoiled meat and nearly dying. I'm quite proud to say that I managed to take down a lynx in one hit with an axe. Okay, it was sleeping, but it still managed to claw me in the neck before I got away. Woke up a while later to find its corpse a few tiles away.

This reminds me of a much advanced Adventure Mode, minus some of the awesomeness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:38:00 am »

I killed my first (and only) reindeer by poking it to death with an axe.  I thought I was using a knife or something, and figured a quick plunging stab would do a good job on bringing the beast down.

I'm not entirely sure how you stab something with an axe, but there you go.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

Unlike DF, random creatures don't spawn right on the edge of the map, but inside your house. That means you could build a house, surround it with a fence, fall asleep in your house, and wake up dead because a bear spawned next to you.

Not sure if this was fixed in a later release (hah, later release).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Well, hey.  No one lives forever.  And losing is fun.

I mean, can you imagine a bear popping into existence inside some guy's house, looking around for a bit, and then mauling the snoring guy?  *PLOP* "Grr?"  "GRAR!"  *splatch*

You have died.  You leave your mortal remains behind and begin dancing through the tulpis of Finland-Heaven while wearing reindeer antler mittens.

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

I could swear the first version of this game that I played was non-graphical. * checks news.txt * That would place it at before version 2.10, which was released in June 1996... though I might well have played it even several years after that, because I suspect the game percolated to me through many a hard drive and floppy disk.

Anyway, I registered the game somewhere around version 2.60 with the 150 markka option, which got me the game and a special version that was used as an educational game at some library somewhere (the specifics escape me). Since then, I've played the game maybe once every two years or so. It really is fairly boring IMO.

The only thing I ever actually wanted to do in UrW but never did was completing the advanced game course. I think I've tried it twice so far - the first time I wasn't smart enough to prepare for the plague, the second time... uh, I don't even remember what got me then, but I think it was something unrelated to the game course, before I got to the plague.

BTW, it amuses me to read about people who tend to get into the disfavour of the spirits. That basically never happens to me - I tend to be nature's best buddy before I even get any sacrificial rituals at all, and once I do get them, I use them until I max out my favour (you get a message saying the ritual feels useless). You get way more meat than you can eat before it spoils by hunting anyway, and most of the rituals aren't terribly useful (Oath of iron is great if you have the right kind of weapon, both of the blood-staunching rituals are essential for survival, and that's more or less it) and so don't need to be used anyway.

Summon the giant pike was a fun ritual, btw. Shame it got cut because players didn't like it  :(.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

I bought it a few months ago, I love it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto:
<STRONG>(hah, later release).</STRONG>

Er, the release notes show that there's been a new release about every 3 months?  I think you're way too spoiled by Toady--That's a very rapid rate for most games.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>

Er, the release notes show that there's been a new release about every 3 months?  I think you're way too spoiled by Toady--That's a very rapid rate for most games.</STRONG>

Well no it's just that URW is so limiting in so many ways and that the game is not getting awsomer (lmao) as rapidly as it gets updated I imagine in 20 years it will be better...

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

Just started yet another rent-a-Finn, this time it's an islander who used his little boat to go out and find, yes, an island.

I've got my own little forest-island, and I've plunked a net down out in the water a ways.  If I feel the need to hunt, I can head in towards land and tool around for a while, but that probably won't come up.  I'm too busy doing stuff to actually do anything.  Time limits suck.

Still though, it's a nice island.  Blueberry bushes all over the place.  I've already cooked myself a big pot o' blueberry soup (had to drink it out of the pot.  I used my only knife to make a spear, so I don't have anything to carve wood with).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 09:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>

Er, the release notes show that there's been a new release about every 3 months?  I think you're way too spoiled by Toady--That's a very rapid rate for most games.</STRONG>

I downloaded the pre-z-level DF release soon after it came out. That was my first version. I don't think waiting patiently for the next version constitutes being spoiled.

Anyways, most of the releases look to consist mainly of bugfixes and tweaks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

Ah, goody.  He's dead.

Since I don't like dying to the ten-day lifespan, I try to find something fatal before that.  Well, I found one.

One of those Njer warriors was wandering around in a forest, and I ran after him shouting "Oh YOOOHOO!  Mr. Shirty-man!  I'm lost, can you help me find my testicles?"

Well, now I'm dead.  Not entirely sure what I died from, but I had a fractured knee and more puncturewounds and bruises than I could count.  Well, more than he could count, anyways.  Islanders are not known for their math skills.

This is fun, but it really bugs me that I have so short a time to play.  The one guy I let die to the time limit was just about to charge screaming into battle against a fox when he keeled over.  Probably scared the fox right out of its skin, which is okay, since I hadn't figured out how to tan skins yet.  Oh, that was the cannibal dude, by the way.  Mmmm, delicious trapper roast...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 01:49:00 am »

I'll probably try this out,Might buy,provided I find a method.
More or less this will likely end up my chief rampage simulator.
*Cause as much damage to civilization before you become instant fertilizer!!!*

Heh.

Pages: [1] 2