Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Quest source  (Read 4800 times)

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold Quest source
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

Hi! I dabble in the analyzation of your code for Kobold Quest, and have mounted the necessary (with the excempt of the Visual Studio tools) into Dev C++. The fact that you made the game in two days' time is accounted for, but i have some thoughts still.

A part of the code, svector.h, uses an undefined function in a template.
The function is called begin(). Using a flag for permitting this lets the code compile up to a hundred few warnings of the same kind since the files are cross-included (dev-cpp keeps track of include files using #define _name_ #ifndef _name_ and #endif). I guess your IDE/compiler keeps track of what files are included already.

-I slew Zolak! -It was inevitable.
-Any troubles? -Bandit Zolak is harassing our hamlet!
-Tell me about Zolak. -Zolak is dead.
-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Kobold Quest source
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

I don't know what the standard functions provided for vector are, but in my copy of vector, begin() just returns _First.  As a sidenote, I didn't write svector.h -- Sam did that to let me continue one of my unwholesome hacks, but begin() hasn't been a problem for anybody so far as I know, and my supplied vector header contains many calls to it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

thanx! I am happy to announce that i finally got the VC++ 2005 Express Edition working. I will post the results on this forum.
I got the error "Fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'afxres.h'." Googling made me find this.

[ June 28, 2007: Message edited by: ToXey ]

-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

I get tons of unresolved external symbols.

*edit* i clarify where i am: I put fmodvc.lib and the associated files among the VC ones, and the linker found it. Perhaps i have to rethink my strategies. But it still baffles me that i did not find the file mentioned in any of the fmod header files. Something is hidden from my eyes             :D

*edit* I will read the tutorials on fmod, sorry for not having pulled that yet. I have learnt a lot now. Thanks for letting me have a part on your products!

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

Re: afxres.h - you'll just want to update the resource to VC8.
Make sure you have the right fmod version. You want 3.75 and then give VC both the include fmod\api\inc and lib fmod\api\lib to compile.
You also seem to need a seperate platform SDK for the VC8 Express edition, so make sure you have that, and give paths to include and lib again.

If you need more help, bug me (zip) on IRC.

X

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by X:
<STRONG>Re: afxres.h - you'll just want to update the resource to VC8.
Make sure you have the right fmod version. You want 3.75 and then give VC both the include fmod\api\inc and lib fmod\api\lib to compile.
You also seem to need a seperate platform SDK for the VC8 Express edition, so make sure you have that, and give paths to include and lib again.</STRONG>

Actually, i took the file from Dep-CPP, but i think it might be the cause of the mess up. Heureka, i found the file in C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK\Include\mfc. I just have to add that directory. Thanks!

*edit* yes, the files were very different. I at least resolved the further compiling errors (getting the library in place) from this crude misplacement    :D

*edit* but the later problems reside yet

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

If the SDK ever finishes downloading, I'll have a go at making a minimal build script with instructions for VC8. You might also want to get my stable branch though, which has a few generally applicable changes.

X

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

mounting different folders i get different errors. Perhaps i ought to strip down the amount of folders so that i can begin analyzing my selection.
*edit* References, are they important? Libraries are in folders defined by env.var. LIB, and references are by LIBPATH. What does $(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion) mean? It is supposed to be definable somewhere.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

I missed your post  :eek: Okey cool. By the way, the post I sent above is ludricous to me now. I did find different libraries of different file size, and i forget to clean my build sometimes which can cause unforeseen effects.

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

[Edit: Okay, that was a bit toooo thread breaking, poor ancient forum, see instead: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:X/Kobold_Quest_build_instructions

Hope that helps.

X]

[ June 28, 2007: Message edited by: X ]

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 05:17:00 am »

It is working now, hooray! Thanks!

I didn't even know that there were the zlib libraries before trying to compile. This has been most useful to me. I guess deprecation causes the libraries to lose their handles (unused but defined functions) or something. And i didn't guess that zlib needs a bunch of library files as well as the, with the source included, include files. *edit* compiling from the solution still does not work, due to innate settings  :(

My mother caught me up at 6 am (that is six hours ago for me). I have a bad habit of eating brunch. That's why i couldn't thank/notify you properly of my appreciation.

[ June 29, 2007: Message edited by: ToXey ]

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 08:05:00 am »

I checked up differences in compiler/linker command line between your way and the solution that i received. I had to fix O2 and a lot of other things, and put down some of the choices that were available to tweak (in other words, some i did not find).

The linker command line differences follow:
you use kernel32, user32, gdi32, zdll, fmodvc as libraries.
The additional dependencies set on my solution (project) is odbc32 odbccp32 and fmodvc
I simply changed to your libraries and it worked! Hooray!!!

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

Yeah, I just put the minimum in needed to build it (without too much warning spam). You'll note I didn't bother the with icon even. Projects tend to bundle a few more libs into the linker just in case you'll want them.

If you want an idea of what you can actually do with it, I'm planning to post a little doc later after I get Toad approval.

X