Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pearls.  (Read 15099 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pearls.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 01:43:21 am »

Is it verified whether a gem called pearl in the raws will satisfy noble mandates for pearl? This seems to be a matter of dispute.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 08:00:33 am »

I've never even had a mandate or 'secret demand' for pearl.
Testing it might be difficult.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 11:13:12 am »

Is it verified whether a gem called pearl in the raws will satisfy noble mandates for pearl? This seems to be a matter of dispute.

I am almost certain that it won't work, even if "pearl" is in the RAWs. I am not 100% sure about it, so if someone had a chance to try this out, let us know.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 01:02:19 pm »

Getting demands for materials that don't exist is annoying. I don't see why Toady would let something like it happenI should care about nobles anyways.

Fixed that for you.
That's exactly what I was gonna say.

Anyway, someone could try making a reaction for pearls that uses a raw mussel and produces a pearl and prepared mussel.  I would, but reactions confuse me somewhat.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 02:04:30 pm »

Okay, I just made a "large pearl gem" at a smelter.  It works.  The game isn't just blindly inserting the word "pearl," it recognized the material reference (unrecognized materials, e.g. "PEAR" instead of "PEARL", just yield a "large gem").  Presumably pearl that comes from an animal would include a racegloss, but the smelter doesn't allow that.

[PRODUCT:100:1:GEM:NO_SUBTYPE:PEARL:NO_MATGLOSS]

edit: hahaha.  I just tried making a horn flute.  I think I succeeded, but I think the horn's boiling point defaulted to 0 and the Dungeon Master instantly got frozen in a billowing cloud of horn gas.

edit 2: same thing with ivory.  It also appears that pearl has no sub-matgloss like "mussel pearl," it's all just pearl.

Summary: horn and ivory are broken, although you could probably still fulfill a mandate for them.  Pearl is fine except that mussels don't actually produce it.  I don't have time to experiment with the other funky materials like amber and coral.

Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:33:04 pm by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 02:56:35 pm »

Okay, I just made a "large pearl gem" at a smelter.  It works.  The game isn't just blindly inserting the word "pearl," it recognized the material reference (unrecognized materials, e.g. "PEAR" instead of "PEARL", just yield a "large gem").  Presumably pearl that comes from an animal would include a racegloss, but the smelter doesn't allow that.

edit: hahaha.  I just tried making a horn flute.  I think I succeeded, but I think the horn's boiling point defaulted to 0 and the Dungeon Master instantly got frozen in a billowing cloud of horn gas.

edit 2: same thing with ivory.  It also appears that pearl has no sub-matgloss like "mussel pearl," it's all just pearl.

Summary: horn and ivory are broken, although you could probably still fulfill a mandate for them.  Pearl is fine except that mussels don't actually produce it.  I don't have time to experiment with the other funky materials like amber and coral.

Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

DF is the most fun game in the world to break.  Noble smith frozen solid by Sub-Zero horn gas.  So awesome.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 11:01:38 pm »

Don't forget vomiting smelters!  Boy, this sure is a great game.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 11:04:36 pm »

I now have a signature.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 07:53:54 am »

Hey, I just had a thought:  vomit blocks.

That's right.  Blocks.  Made from vomit.  Can it be done?
Just so I remember

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 08:45:53 am »

as it is a [cover]ing, I doubt it... but maybe it might be frozen
...if it becomes tracked as a liquid then a 7/7 vomit tile can become possible and subsequent freezing to a mineable solid.
Other than the (definately not) tracking of a biowaste and a liquid at that, your only hope would be an alchemical smelter reaction.
Even then I fear that it's inherent liquididy will cause your vomit-block to explode.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 09:25:04 am »

Ah nice! So we can fix these broken mandates in that case.  8)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »

If only we could find a noble with a vomit preference....

...what? Did I miss something?
Pages: 1 [2]