Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games I made a long time ago  (Read 2281 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games I made a long time ago
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

After reading Toady's post about Dragslay - an old BASIC game he made quite a while ago, it reminded me of a few games I made myself many years ago in QBASIC.  I put them on a Geocities hosted site a long time ago and forgot about them, but I just found the link (can't believe it's still hosted!)

I called them 'Flysoft Games' because my last name is 'Flynn'.  It was a lot of fun making them, but I never got very many people to play them.  I haven't done any stand-alone apps since college (CS degree) and I am now a PHP web programmer for a local broadband company.

Anyway, here they are:
http://geocities.com/flysoftgames/

Dragon Bane is the only one that comes with the qbasic source code (ran out of memory before I could turn it into an executable) so you'll just have to run it in the compiler.  The others are stand-alone.

(I know the site sucks, I've come a long way since then in web design!)

EDIT:

K, here they are hosted on a MediaFire:

The Arrival
Catacomb
Vertical Horizon
Dragon Bane

Descriptions (in order of creation)

The Arrival:

This was my first game I ever made.  You just shoot the never-ending alien horde and rack up points.  It's just a precursor to Dragon Bane though.

Dragon Bane

Took me ages to write (I did all my graphics pixel by pixel in BASIC).  I guess I was a little too ambitious since it turned out to be pretty buggy/difficult in the end.  If you can get past the bugs, it IS beatable (though no-one has done it before).  There are 20 "screens" you have to get through before a fight with a sweet looking dragon at the end.

Vertical Horizon:

I wanted to do something different, so I wrote up this little mountain-scaling game.  You basically climb a bunch of sheer cliffs while not getting too far ahead of your rope hook.  If you fall, well...your Yeti meat.  You can also 'win' by getting to the top.

Catacomb:

My crack at a Roguelike.  Oddly I wrote this game before playing or hearing of a roguelike before.  I used a cool little tile system I found online.  The combat is buggy, but this game also has a real goal in mind.  Nobody has ever found the ending though (besides me!).

By the way, I just tried all of the games on Vista and had no luck getting them to run - so I hope you are using XP.  :p

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games I made a long time ago
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

The site is unavailable.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

That's really weird.  It was working 20 minutes ago.  It says, "exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later."  I guess that means that some people were downloading the games.  Jeez, yahoo must have a REALLY low transfer limit for free accounts.  I guess, "try again later", or I may need to host the games somewhere else.

EDIT:

Ah no wonder:

quote:
Your GeoCities Free plan comes with 3GB of data transfer per month. To ensure your data transfer lasts all month, we limit your hourly use to 4MB.

Really lame.  Guess I'll try to move the files somewhere else.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
<STRONG> Your GeoCities Free plan comes with 3GB of data transfer per month. To ensure your data transfer lasts all month, we limit your hourly use to 4MB.</STRONG>

that's actually just 2.8 GB, you are being ripped-off!  ;)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

Dragon bane seems like fun.

You could put all your games into one rar and throw it into the hellhole of rapidshare or any other equivalent site.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.