Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fallout I, II, & Tactics  (Read 3977 times)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Fallout I, II, & Tactics
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:07:43 pm »

I've been playing these great games lately, and was appalled at the fact that there wasn't any recent topic about them.

But a few basic rules first:
1. Keep spoilers in spoilers. (Punishment: A week in the box.)
2. Fallout 3, and Fallout: The Brotherhood of Steel go here. (Punishment: A week in the box.) (Also please note that Fallout: The Brotherhood of Steel, and Fallout Tactics: The Brotherhood of Steel are completely differnet, and posting FO:BOS in the Fallout 3 thread might not be appreciated.)
3. No off topic/Bethseda is the worst company ever. (Punishment: I will personally kill you myself.)

My stupid questions:
Spoiler: Fallout I (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fallout II (click to show/hide)

Oh, and anything to help improve the layout of this post would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:36:33 pm by Okenido »

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout I, II, & Tactics
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »

Spoiler: Reply to Fallout 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Reply to Fallout 2 (click to show/hide)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 12:43:39 am »

Spoiler: Reply to Fallout 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Reply to Fallout 2 (click to show/hide)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:13:58 am »

Uh.
Topic name says Fallout I, II, and Tactics.
The Brotherhood of Steel is Tactics.
It seems a bit of a misnomer to put Tactics in the name if you're just ushering the people who come here after it to another thread...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:58:11 am »

Tactics != Brotherhood of Steel

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 12:01:49 pm »

Yeah, there are actually two different games. One is Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, and the other is just called Brotherhood of Steel. The games are completely different.

I like I, II, and Tactics, but all for different reasons. They all have serious drawbacks that make it hard for me to play them for long periods of time, however. Lots of fun though!  ;D

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:15:12 pm »

Yeah, there are actually two different games. One is Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, and the other is just called Brotherhood of Steel. The games are completely different.
That's..  not confusing at all[/sarcasm]
...Seriously, whose brilliant idea was that?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 04:26:43 pm »

It has nothing to do with brilliant ideas.
This one is released on Xbox and PS2:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOPOS

This one is on PC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_Tactics

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 05:37:15 am »

Where I live it can be quite tough to get games in their original form. You have to order them online and worst of all... wait. If I go to the store to get me a game, chances are, I'll get the unholy, desecrated, the dark and evil translated and censored version.

Like the "Fallout 1" copy of my collection. Which was sitting on the shelf almost since it's release day. I FINALLY got around to play it last year, and I was left breathless because it is such a great game. I fucked around a lot to get it back to english and return some gore to the game, but no matter WHAT I did, it was impossible to get some of the quests back, which the censors deemed inappropriate. (Darn ratpack of brainless idiots)

You cannot imagine my joy when I found an original and uncut pack of FO1,2 & Tactics on the shelves around here for € 15... strangely enough I cannot play FO 2. I just cannot stand it. The starting area seems unimaginitive compared to even the worst parts of FO1.
Maybe I should get my act together and try to actually get somewhere, maybe the game picks up later...

But Tactics on the other hand... it can get boring and mindnumbing if you play it for hours on end, but it's such a great game too, with LOADS of LAN Party potential. For me it's most fun if played as a sort of paintball simulator, you know, get some crossfire going on those guys behind their cover.

Those buttons, that make your guys fire automatically are like.... ZOMG ZEH REVOLUTION in this genre... I stopped playing pretty much all turnbased squadshooters because I can't stand to issue 100 mouseclicks just so 5 guys fire 10 bullets altogether. And then came FO:T and I wished it had some research and base building; never again I would touch any XCOM game.

Anyways,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:39:10 am by Puck »

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 08:53:27 pm »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 09:43:08 pm »

Fallout 2 picks up very well once you leave the goddamned village (and hopefully never return). It's generally accepted that the intro sucks balls. Try to endure that part though, and you should really love it once you get into the real game.

Or do what I do every time I have to replay that part. Use a hex editor to change your spear into a vindicator minigun and your healing powder into ammo.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 10:21:47 pm »

I played through Fallout 1 and at first found it... unfulfilling. Yeah, the conversation options were a great change, considering my first taste of RPGs was Morrowind, but I found the GUI to be incredibly lacking and the story discouragingly linear... Don't reply with flames just yet, read on and remember that I just used the words "at first".

I'm not saying they should have done better with the GUI, I mean, it was the old days of gaming when dinosaurs were still in their death throes and developers still cultivated their code-growing fields with sticks, but I'm a more modern gamer, having started out when Red Alert 1 was new (and can hardly remember those days beyond the MAD tanks from the expansion. Man those were awesome). The lack of interface options is painfully noticeable compared to modern games. Made it tough for me to feel love. This one I found hard to overcome.

Secondly, the story. Initial impressions turned out to be wrong. Having been used to modern RPGs I didn't recognise that there could be more than 3 solutions to any problem, that there would be any kind of substance beyond the main story+a few sidequests. I was never looking for or noticed any alternative solutions to problems. Thus to me, the whole game seemed empty and unstructured.
I wandered around for a bit, got seriously pissed off trying to find anything of use in vault 15 (Not realising there wasn't meant to be anything there to begin with. Modern games don't do that sort of thing, y'see. Their "hints" are actually directions. "I HEAR THERE'S A [PLOT SOLUTION A] TO THE EAST. GO THERE" "YAY I FOUND THE [PLOT SOLUTION A] AND/OR [FURTHER PLOT HINT] THANKS TO THE HANDY HINTS")

Bleh, I go off on tangents too easy. Basically, the whole game was pretty much me stumbling onto things and not really seeing any grand story. Basic summary follows. Is spoilered even though I avoid specifics:

So uh... yeah. What was my point in amongst the rambling, you ask? Good game in retrospect, but its age really shows to a newcomer like me. Hard to get into unless you allready know some stuff (which spoils the whole "Ignorant newcomer" appeal the story has) Don't even ask about Fallout 2, I couldn't get it running despite getting the re-released XP compatible version. Damn thing didn't recognise the CD.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:23:40 pm by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 09:36:17 am »

I read that as;

"Wow, I've grown retarded because of modern games being too obvious and easy!"

But fear not, there's still hope.

I recommend two doses of Darklands followed by Star Trail in Advanced mode (don't forget your wool socks, you don't wanna get the flu!).

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 09:43:08 am »

Okenido: There are a couple things you could try doing. 

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 10:11:44 am »

Stuffz
You probably have the same problem with FO1 I've been having with FO2. You never really got into it, because judging from your post, you really missed some parts.

First of all, there is a somewhat coherent story/plot/background, that, in my opinion, is rather well written for a videogame, too. There are lots of sidequests,  most of them with the same love for detail, most of them with consequences, some of them even affect the main plot.

The UI is actually decent, you just need two mouse buttons (and in case you want to use your skills, it's good to know they are mapped on the number keys, I think it's 1-8). The rest of the interface, the functions you don't need that often (apart from the inventory, which probably can be opened by pressing "i") are accessed via those plastic buttons.

This button interface is all part of the fifties-feel of the game. Fallout always tried to recreate that bomb-fear-feel of the time when the US government showed educational movies that taught you to cover below your desk with a paper bag above your head is good to protect yourself from nuclear bombs. Something like that. And if you ignore for a second that, back then, they didn't have any technology for PDAs smaller than a house, and just assumed they would be able to build one small enough to carry...
it would look like a pip-boy.

The whole advertisement around the vaults, all the little movies about the G.E.C.K. (i think thats FO2), everything just fits and works. If those things would have existed back then, that's probably how they would have looked, without that little bit of black humour, that sticks to everything in FO, of course.

I think that's some thing that totally caught me with ye olde fallout: the graphics were SO crappy, and they STILL managed to pull of a real cool and coherent design. (intro videos, cutscenes, menuscreens, aforementioned PIP-boy, pip pictures in the character screen, and so on and so forth).

Tbh, I'm still pondering if I want a PIP-Boy tattooed  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:15:42 am by Puck »
Pages: [1] 2 3