Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wyrms  (Read 5455 times)

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wyrms
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:07:16 am »

Wyrms are small draconic creatures, just about the size of a dwarf, that roams the skies in warm and temperate climates. Able to fly, they can find shortcuts that most predators wouldn't take. They have a fire breath, fire immunity, and in clusters can be deadly to unprepared dwarves. Fortunately, they can be caged, tamed, and ultimately trained, making them precious assets. Given enough time, they will replace war dogs. Their hides makes for effective protection. The wyrms will come in two flavors, green and golden, depending on the biomes. (Not yet implemented)

Version 1.2.1
-Size lowered to 6; now dwarven sized.
-Population/Frequency normalized.
-MOUNT_EXOTIC removed, as there was no point to it
-MAGICAL changed to NATURAL, wyrms are natural predators (in a fantasy setting) rather than being fanciful creatures.
-Difficulty set to 2

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:WYRM]
[NAME:wyrm:wyrms:wyrm] [TILE:'w'][COLOR:6:0:0] [PETVALUE:500][TRAINABLE][PET][LARGE_ROAMING][LARGE_PREDATOR][CARNIVORE][FLIER][FIREBREATH][FIREIMMUNE][NATURAL][FREQUENCY:5][MODVALUE:5][SIZE:6][FAT:1] [POPULATION_NUMBER:10:15][CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:3] [STANDARD_FLESH][DIURNAL][BODYGLOSS:CLAW][DIFFICULTY:2]
[PREFSTRING:majesty][PREFSTRING:loyalty] [BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2WINGS:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH] [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH] [MAXAGE:15:25][LITTERSIZE:1:2][CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:wyrmling:wyrmlings] [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST][BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST] [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_GRASSLAND][BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_GRASSLAND] [HOMEOTHERM:10050][LAYERING:150][DAMBLOCK:1] [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2000]

They're not too strong or weak, firebreath gives them a boon without making them overpowered, population/frequency seems to be allright.
I'm not sure if I should add/remove some biomes. I removed FIREIMMUNE from them, the logic is them being flesh and bones and still vulnerable to fire and brimstone. Makes crossfire dangerous. I keep placing cage traps all over the wilderness in the hope of capturing some and breeding myself an army.

Firebreath + Savanna  = Hilarity!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:06:17 am by Booken the Blue »
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wyrms
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 12:06:24 pm »

nice

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:36:52 pm »

Wouldn't breeding an army of fire breathing monsters to kill the goblins be a bad idea? Ultimately your whole fortress would catch on fire when a wyrm discovers a skulking thief near the wood stockpile...

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:27:24 pm »

Man, wyrms going nuts on a thief that skulked into the booze stockpile will be fun.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:37:33 pm »

Thats why you build most of your stuff with masonery. And keep flammable items behind locked doors (aka not pet-passable).

Should I put their child from 1 to 3? Seems a good idea to balance out breeding wyrms compared to dogs. It'll make them less expendable.

Also, I added a difficulty tag for adventure mode.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:39:16 pm by Booken the Blue »
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:14:26 am »

Swamp dragons! You've created swamp dragons!
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:53:21 pm »

I believe the term dragon would be applied to these 16 megaton beasts who's firebreath would level entire villages in seconds. =P

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 02:57:56 pm »

I believe the term dragon would be applied to these 16 megaton beasts who's firebreath would level entire villages in seconds. =P
You've never heard of Terry Pratchett, have you?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 04:59:39 pm »

You've never heard of Terry Pratchett, have you?

Hm.  I wonder how you would be able to make Swamp Dragons in the RAWs... it's possible to make explosions, but how would you make the explosions come as a result of an action taken by the dragon?

At the very least, you can make them explode on death of course, but preferably they'd explode on injury too.  REALLY preferably, they'd explode on getting a tummy ache or during mating season or when looking at a reflection of themselves or... etc etc etc...

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:33:29 pm »

I wouldn't want that. I've got enough exploding kittens. rofl

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

I don't approve of the use of the name Wyrm for such a diminutive creature.

Wyrms are usually described as the huge, ancient dragons. Call 'em wyverns or something.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:12:49 pm »

I agree, wyverns would be a cooler name. Just to clarify, in most legends/myths/game/other media:

1. Dragons - the name of the species

2. Wyrms - either ancient dragons in the older myths, also generally applies to non-oriental snake-like dragons in more modern media, which may or may not have wings or legs

3. Western Dragons - generally the type of dragon you see in movies, with four limbs and two wings, often stands on four feet regularly, but may also occasionally stand on two as its regular stance

4. Eastern Dragons - associated with rain and storms, not fire, these are snakelike dragons with manes and horns, and fly using telepathy

5. Wyverns - these are medium-sized (around adult human size) and walk on two legs. They are built like a bird, with two legs and two wings instead of arms, they sometimes can breath fir, but not always

6. Faire Dragons - These are tiny creatures that range in size from the size of a large butterfly to the size of a small dog, the amount of limbs can vary, but in most things these creatures have no limbs except for their large butterfly like wings, imagine a butterfly and replace the main body with a tiny snake body

Those are the five main types, though their are many others that are often more culture specific. I won't bore you with the knowledge of those though, so if you want to find out more, I suggest you look it up yourself.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 05:11:07 pm »

Well wyverns to me are the dragon-like without breath weapon, 2 foot, 2 wing, stinger tail. For a medium-sized (Read; large) sized dragons, I could call them Drakes.

But seriously, Dwarf Fortress always been on its own (self-generated) fantasy setting. It doesn't have to closely follow the DnD rules. And I can't think of a better name for an seperate (but related) species. Wyrm for a dwarf-sized dragon sounds just fine to me, I'll not have them run around as "Young Adult Dragon" or whatever.

Beside, the collosal reptilian firebreathing death machine is already taken by that flashing green D tile :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:39:00 pm by Booken the Blue »