Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 289406 times)

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2008, 06:16:30 pm »

I disabled artifacts after the first three fortresses, it gets tiring FAST to have dwarves going crazy or berserk cuz I don't have silk clothes, shells or gems   >:(
Take a few with you when you embark then. Some leather, thread (which can be woven into cloth on site if that's needed instead) and cheap gems go for under a 100 easily (14 *3 [thread] + 5 *3 [leather] +10 *3 [gems] = 87). Just take a bit less food.

Those numbers were from memory. I play too much.  :-[

EDIT: Forgot to mention. If you take any food with you on embark make it turtles. They're cheap and give you shells and bones. (Just make sure you store the shells and bones in an underground refuse pile.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:18:09 pm by Martian »

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2008, 06:23:09 pm »

Take a few with you when you embark then. Some leather, thread (which can be woven into cloth on site if that's needed instead) and cheap gems go for under a 100 easily (14 *3 [thread] + 5 *3 [leather] +10 *3 [gems] = 87). Just take a bit less food.

Those numbers were from memory. I play too much.  :-[

Unfortunately, I'd rather have my dwarves have much better chances of actually surviving so forget anvil, and last I recalls, you can't buy raw gems ( probably wrong, I haven't bothered to buy gems from carvans ) not to mention I tend to not have enough to spend for anything but the essentinal for first few years. Occasionally, carvans don't brings those ( And leather's common enough with breeding pairs  ;) )

ed: forget to mention that MOST of the moods I've got were from metalworkers, when I haven't even have a smelter running, or even an anvil...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:28:31 pm by TettyNullus »

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2008, 06:50:50 pm »

Im still waiting to see an obsidian thong.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2008, 12:36:03 am »

i got a cave lobster shell animal trap that was so legendary i set it up next to my underground chasm with a bit of meat inside and it caught a turtle. seriously, a turtle. near the bottom few z levels.

i had some water draining from the surface all the way through the fort for power and water supply into the chasm at the other end of the map, so maybe that had something to do with it. but if thats the case, that must have been one epic journey for the turtle.

something unpronouncable or other, "Gladchampion the sour blockade" value 441 600
this is a cave lobster shell animal trap. blah blah blah.
it is encrusted with almadine, studded with platinum and decortated with turtle shell and encircled with bands of cave lobster shell and red spinel. this object is adorned with hanging rings of giant cave spider silk, and menaces with spikes of red spinel, raw adamantium and iron.
on the object is and image of a dwarf in turtle shell. something or other. the dwarf is surrouned by the dwarves.

you think all that turtle shell would scare the damned turtles away.

previous forts had an aluminium spear and a cave spider silk thong with an image of the aluminium spear, which i thought was funny.

most expensive ever was an adamantium throne adorned with hanging rings of adamantium encrusted with adamantium and with spikes and decorations of some other random stuff. it was Alilosos "gleedales" value 1 497 600. next few years saw a bunch of artefact bracelets, earings and rings in wood, raw adamantium and goblin bone, all of which had 2 or more pictures of that damned adamantium throne.

best picture ever was of a goblin falling on a highwood bracelet. i had a habbit at the time of throwing goblin prisoners off a really high tower, so that was cool. i was very sure i had an artifact with a picture of the king falling on it from when he commited suicide, but couldnt find it, so perhaps it was just an engraving somewhere.

i once had a bone shield and billon crossbow (awesomeness), but apart from that and the aluminium spear have never had artifact weapons or armour. what can i do to improve that? train most of the fort in basic weaponscrafting and just hope? nearly all my artifacts are buckets and hatch covers and grates.

i really look forwards to the day when toady gives artifacts special properties, like he says in his future goals. buckets of endless water please, or mittens of freezing touch. GCS silk thong with picture of aluminium spear, granting piercing thorns aura... donkey leather quiver that ups the quality of your bolts..

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2008, 01:11:55 am »

Pretty much, yeah, get everybody up to dabbling in weaponsmith.  When one of them goes into a mood, they go after their highest trade skill (with the craftsdwarf's workshop being the default if they don't have any), so if all the peasants and farmers and stuff have a single level of weaponsmith, you're more likely to get an artifact weapon.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2008, 05:39:47 am »

a cave spider silk thong with an image of the aluminium spear
This is hilarious.

Mordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mordae
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2009, 09:21:38 pm »

This is a Adamantine low boot. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands Gabbro.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and dwarves in Adamantine. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves.
On the item is an image of dwarves in groundhog leather. The dwarves are traveling.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and dwarves in Glumprong. The dwarf is sorrounded by the dwarves.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2009, 10:16:35 pm »

A mule leather long skirt encircled with Bands of obsidian and microcline. It menaces with spikes of gem. (I forget the actual gen, just some ornamental stuff).

It didn't even have any images on it, and It's worth an incredibly rediculous amount of money. Following the creation of this item, every room in my fortress has at least one engraving of a mule leather long skirt or a dwarf raising said long skirt. Most have several. Nobody has put it on, simply because it's so valuable. All three of the artifacts following this artifact have had an image of, you guessed it, a mule leather long skirt.

It's a pretty awesome skirt, I'll have you know.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2009, 02:06:01 am »

every room in my fortress has at least one engraving of a mule leather long skirt or a dwarf raising said long skirt.

No wonder no one's put it on. THen someone might think that it was THEM in that picture, raising their skirt.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2009, 10:26:15 pm »

In my most recent fortress, I got a lead mace circled with platinum or something like that. Can't wait to go there in adventure mode.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:37 pm »

Just got a cool one, not because of what it is really, but because of the discrepancy between items and the total cost:

Edosgovos, "The Amazing Leaves", a giant cave spider silk trousers. Made of three units of un-dyed giant cave spider silk cloth.

100000☼

Imagine imagine paying 100 grand for a pair of pants.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »

A mule leather long skirt encircled with Bands of obsidian and microcline. It menaces with spikes of gem. (I forget the actual gen, just some ornamental stuff).

It didn't even have any images on it, and It's worth an incredibly rediculous amount of money. Following the creation of this item, every room in my fortress has at least one engraving of a mule leather long skirt or a dwarf raising said long skirt. Most have several. Nobody has put it on, simply because it's so valuable. All three of the artifacts following this artifact have had an image of, you guessed it, a mule leather long skirt.

It's a pretty awesome skirt, I'll have you know.

If you had full histories on, you would see that all those dwarf raising a long skirt pictures are about when the thing was made by whoever made it.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2009, 01:13:39 am »

I got a left hand iron gauntlet covered in black diamonds and star rubies. Needles to say I gave it to my champion and switched him to wrestling. Now everytime he kills a goblin I imagine the poor thing exploding in a cloud of awesome as he gets punched in the face.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2009, 08:45:32 pm »

Im new to DF, and I have a question. How do you see the base value of the Artifact?

I have made 2. One was a slate mechanism, very dumb with a long name. The first one I made was okay, it was a tower cap earring, made from 3 tower cap logs and a rough morion.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2009, 07:38:11 am »

from the main view of your fort you can press l (small L) to see a list of all your legendary artifacts, and from there use the arrows to select one, and then press enter to have a look at it. the value of the item shows up in the top right, the weight in the top left. you can also see if its covered in blood, vomit, water, and who owns it. pressing k and selecting an item lying on the ground will also show you this. from this screen you press v to view the item in detail, which shows you the description and any images on it.

ive played for ages, and yes, the majority of artifacts are somewhat lame. as i think has been mentioned in this thread you can try and influence what gets made by training all your peasants and farmers up to dabbling skills like weaponscrafting, and you can store your most valuable/useful materials like diamonds, dyed cave spider silk and adamantium as close as possible to your workshops. moody dwarves tend to grab the nearest thing that meets their needs, so for metal bars any old bars will do, and for a gem your moody dwarf regards a cheap black onyx is as good as a saphire. remember dwarves dont understand distance in terms of z levels, a stored item one tile over is still only one tile over to them, even if its 40 z levels down.

ive taken to locking a dwarf in his shop when he first claims it, noting his list of demands, and dumping them through a hole in the roof to make sure he uses the best stuff possible. this is a lot of micro, but i would hate to finally get a weaponscrafter go fey and get a bronze axe when i have so much adamantium lying around. you can also check what they have stockpiled in a shop using t, and forbid anything you dont like. if they havent started construction yet they just go and find an equivalent material. doing this too much may delay them to the point they go crazy, so be careful. and remember the first item they grab will be the base material, and the rest decorations. masons can be coaxed into using valuable metal ores as a base material.

best artifact so far using this method was an adamantium crown with faint yellow diamond, red GCS silk, gold, platinum and goblin bone. with an image of itself on it.

and to the people wondering, you can buy gems from the traders and have been able to for the last few versions if their parent civ has access to them. same as flux stone. my dwarven caravans never have access to flux stone :(
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89