Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 289393 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2009, 08:34:55 am »

Not a particularly good Artifact, let alone a "Great" one, but...

One of my Farmers entered a strange mood and created a 46,000 Dwarfin mousetrap. Sounds to ME like SOMETHING has been nibbling on SOMEBODY'S crops... and he's decided to deal with it.

46,000 Dwarfins for a mousetrap... this guy should work as a National Defense contractor.
Never pet a burning dog.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:45 am »

im totally using the embark tool in tweak to give me a huge initial population of weapon and armor smiths, and temporarily changing the raws to make dwarves super fast and not needing sleep or food or whatever, and just waiting for a full set of artifact adamantium plate armor to roll in.

you can force moody dwarves to use the materials you dictate by locking the workshop and dropping the things they need in through a hole in the roof. or trying to run around frantically forbidding or locking up everything you dont want them to use. you can also forbid items allready in the workshop using t to view them. i get really nice artifacts this way, like an adamantium crown with faint yellow diamond, gold and GCS silk. it had a picture of an adamantium crown on it. it was originally going to be copper with onyx and iron, but for my forbid spree. now i got a 969000 dwarfbucks crown instead of a cheap coppery one. yay.

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2009, 02:59:55 pm »

The thing that surprised me the most about this artifact was its weight:

I mean, the Champion's thongs were probably heavier than his shining blue armor.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2009, 03:31:45 pm »

you can force moody dwarves to use the materials you dictate by locking the workshop and dropping the things they need in through a hole in the roof. or trying to run around frantically forbidding or locking up everything you dont want them to use. you can also forbid items allready in the workshop using t to view them. i get really nice artifacts this way, like an adamantium crown with faint yellow diamond, gold and GCS silk. it had a picture of an adamantium crown on it. it was originally going to be copper with onyx and iron, but for my forbid spree. now i got a 969000 dwarfbucks crown instead of a cheap coppery one. yay.
Personally, I prefer forbidding.  With proper stockpile setup (i.e. putting the expensive stuff in one place and the rest of the stuff elsewhere) you can just mass-forbid the crappy stuff when somebody goes into a strange mood.  With certain things, you don't even need to forbid stuff: put expensive gems, the best metal bars, and GCS silk and leather a couple tiles closer than the rest and simply don't use them otherwise.  Expensive ores are even easier, just put a stockpile for the most expensive ores you have directly above or below the mason and craftsdwarf workshops.

You can see an example of such a setup in my current fort:

*First, go to "Forges", and you'll see my forges next to the coffins.  The stockpile right next to the forges only holds platinum and steel bars (no adamantine yet), with the rest of the stuff in the big stockpile north of it. 

*Next, go to "Crafting".  The 3x1 stockpile right next to the jeweler's shop has the expensive stuff, with the big one holding the rest of the gems.  The 1x2 in the middle has some platinum bars and raw clear glass.  1 z-level down is platinum nuggets (the gold has since been moved out).  The GCS stuff is on the nearest edges of the cloth and leather stockpiles (north of the siege workshop and over in the hall, respectively), similar to how the gems are set up.

This way, the only times I have to forbid a bunch of things is if a dwarf goes into a metalworking mood, and the only other time I have to forbid anything is forbidding the cheap gems in case of a leather/clothes mood.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2009, 02:16:23 am »

yeah, your method is best legacy, only my current fort is horribly horribly built and ive not yet been able to figure a way to rearrange it. so throwing things through holes in the roof and forbidding everything is unfortunately the way im doing it.

and hooray, i finally got a decent weapon. posessed, so unfortunately no legendary craftsment out of it. its an adamantium axe, with GCS silk, ruby, saphire, natuve aluminium, green glass (why did he insist on raw green glass? so many other nice things...) cave lobster shell and microcline, which somehow snuck in. i have a bunch of faint yellow diamonds somewhere, but i could not find them.

it has two pictures of my adamantium crown, one picture of itself, one picture of many pointed stars, and a picture of a dwarf ascending to leadership of my parent civ, in the year 1. which is actually pretty neat in my book, as it does constitute the first ever dwarf leader at the beginning of time as far as my little world is concerned.

its called Idathrodem, the amusing pelts, and is valued at 1254000. weird name for what is an ultimate instrument of death. perhaps when i display the flayed skins of my enimies as wall tapestries they will be amusing, for the games of noughts and crosses my chapions played on them as they dealt death. this artifact makes me ever so happy.

EDIT: it weighs 15r. same as Gork's awesome chainmail. a bog standard quality steel axe which i embarked with weighs 628r! i love adamantium. im so locking this in my deepest darkest underground room beneath 10 z levels of water and coming back to find it in advanture mode.

EDIT EDIT: check this monster out. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28232.0 - this artifact is godlike.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:28:52 am by Cheshire Cat »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2009, 10:11:03 am »

I prefer the method of just letting dwarves build shit.

Sure, four adamantine furniture pieces are worth more than a gold one, a silver one, a pig iron one, and a brass one, but I like flavor, dammit.

To me, artifacts are kind of pointless if they aren't actually original and weird as hell. I like my rose quartz cabinets.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2009, 10:27:17 am »

yarr. i like the weird flavourful stuff. but still. whenever anyone with weaponsmithing and armorsmithing goes fey, i wants adamantium. or at least steel. i really like useful things for my adventurers to use. tin swords are pretty weird, but i like the super damage ones better.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2009, 08:42:46 pm »

I have an iron grate named Stranglesqueezes.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2009, 09:30:01 pm »

In the early days of my most awesome fort, the dwarves were constantly plagued by the fire imps emerging from the magma vent and starting wildfires by shooting fireballs at passing gorillas.
One day I had finally had enough of this, drafted a gaggle of recent migrants, handed them crossbows, and ordered them to go forth and end the imp menace.
One brave recruit caught an imp's attention and got burned to death while the others loosed their bolts for the glory of Likottinöth.

Shortly after that recruit had received a hero's burial, an obscure dwarf whose original profession I do not recall went into a mood. After claiming my craft shop, Lokum Cogziril dashed out the front gates of the fort and scooped up the bones of Shasadestun the fire imp.
This was all she needed for her vision, shortly thereafter she produced Tombhaunt the fire imp bone statue; it is adorned with hanging rings of fire imp bone, and on the item is an image of Tombhaunt the fire imp bone statue in fire imp bone.
It is worth 54,000, and it forever marks the grave of the brave dwarf who gave his life so that the fort might not be plagued by fire imps.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2009, 09:35:15 pm »

In the early days of my most awesome fort, the dwarves were constantly plagued by the fire imps emerging from the magma vent and starting wildfires by shooting fireballs at passing gorillas.
One day I had finally had enough of this, drafted a gaggle of recent migrants, handed them crossbows, and ordered them to go forth and end the imp menace.
One brave recruit caught an imp's attention and got burned to death while the others loosed their bolts for the glory of Likottinöth.

Shortly after that recruit had received a hero's burial, an obscure dwarf whose original profession I do not recall went into a mood. After claiming my craft shop, Lokum Cogziril dashed out the front gates of the fort and scooped up the bones of Shasadestun the fire imp.
This was all she needed for her vision, shortly thereafter she produced Tombhaunt the fire imp bone statue; it is adorned with hanging rings of fire imp bone, and on the item is an image of Tombhaunt the fire imp bone statue in fire imp bone.
It is worth 54,000, and it forever marks the grave of the brave dwarf who gave his life so that the fort might not be plagued by fire imps.
But at least it's on fire right?

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2009, 10:51:50 pm »

Best artifact ever was a rose gold anvil decorated with silver, sapphires and a slew of other materials (glass, shell, wood). Worked out to about 500,000-ish moneys. The most impressive thing was the metalcrafter who made it. She had a broken leg. The magma forge was at the top of my fort, right on the crater. Most of my goods stockpiles were on the very bottom: 5 z-levels down and half of the (5x5) map away!

For some reason whenever an armorer goes into a mood, all I get is a boot. Next time I'm going to assign someone to kick their ass with it until they explodes into gore.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:36 am »

I have an iron grate named Stranglesqueezes.

I get this lovely mental image of stuff getting squished through the grate with their eyes bugging out. That is awesome.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:09 am »

46,000 Dwarfins for a mousetrap... this guy should work as a National Defense contractor.

Oh ho! I C wut u did thar

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2009, 10:57:46 am »

Ungeg Inketh 'The Failure of Justices" a Willow Statue

This is a Willow Statue All craftswarfship is of the highest quality
It is decorated with a turtle shell and encircled with bands of Willow and turtle bone
On the item is an image of a dwarf and a elf in Kaolinite The dwarf is embracing the elf.

*Edit*
I'm just really amused by this.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:11:30 am by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2009, 12:22:07 pm »

The worried Fungus, a clear garnet bed.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 89