Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 282319 times)

Teh Zip File

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your best artifact ever
« on: November 01, 2008, 04:42:32 am »

Simple enough, post your best artifact ever!

This is mine:

Sadly I don't remember how much this is worth, or which one of my fortresses it was created in or anything about it really. (Just found out how much it was worth, 1458600 )

But just look at it! It's an adamantine axe! It's studded with adamantine! It has bands of limonite! It has rings of elephant leather and spikes of adamantine! It has dwarves laboring on it, in ADAMANTINE!

It's name is even awesome, Skewerteach! It's going to teach you, by skewering you!

Can anyone beat this?  :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:27:01 pm by Teh Zip File »

Roara Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 05:17:37 am »

It's not my best - in fact it's probably my simplest artifact ever. But I love it the most anyway. It has a cool name, too; "The Blameless Deity."

Basically, I'm playing a human site with intent on building an emerald city or something like that. Second set of immigrants, I start getting some kids and stuff.

Not long after this one kid arrives, he gets a fey mood, right? Grabs some wood, and builds a wooden sceptre.

A sceptre with a picture of itself on it. Not only is this sceptre my first artifact, but it's my first piece of art as well. And this kid's my second legendary, er... human I guess. (And my first was a miner, and there was sand to be dug so he almost doesn't count.)

In short, kid showed up, decides to mark his awesomeness by making a sceptre, and marked the sceptre's awesomeness by engraving the sceptre into itself.

I pity his sibling. How can you compete with that. "Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 05:28:00 am »

I had a goblin bone throne once. It's regular value was almost nonexistent, but it's coolness-priceless.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 05:52:47 am »

Ah, my best artifact ever would have to be "Dustpurges" the adamentine short sword, created in the Skyseal bloodline game.  The thing was worth 1.4 million, used three separate adamentine wafers (including one for its base metal), along with some rough gems and green glass, and could send goblins flying farther than Babe Ruth's home runs.  I would kill (many of my dwarves) for another artifact like that one.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 07:59:55 am »

My best was Wheelslaughtered, an adamantine statue.
Worth something absolutely silly.
It was forged from adamantine, encrusted with star rubies, adorned with hanging rings of adamantine, menacing with spikes of adamantine. It had an image of dwarves and tentacle demons in adamantine. The dwarves were generally killing demons, the demons were crying or something.
I put it in my king's room and he just partied till he died around his statue.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:10:55 am »

The 2nd artifact in my current fortress. It's not the most valuable or useful, but fits the scenario like, well, whatever.
Stelidngobol, "The Washed Glumness", a Bloodstone throne
Then this idea on a megaproject came up, a Mayan pyramid shaped sacrificial altar to Armok, with water washing out blood of victims.
Put the throne on top, by the sacrificial pit. Just perfect.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:26:12 am »

I have two:

First was a goblin bone harp encircled with bands of iron.  It was my first artifact.
Second was an adamantine anvil.  Can't remember the details, but I know it took one piece of raw adamantine, a magnetite block from a caravan, and some other junk.  It was worth over a million dwarfbucks, was the only artifact I ever had at that value, and it was made just as I was setting up magma forges.  I doubled the value I got out of it when used it to make a forge, because it counted toward Architecture and Furniture.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:45:45 am »

I got a red beryl statue recently. According to wikipedia, it looks like this. No wonder the dwarves were partying all the time. I really wish items could become objects of worship so I could co back there as an adventurer and find a bunch of snakemen treating it as a god.

Another fort earlier had a silver anvil that became a de facto symbol of the dwarven civilization. They were carving pictures of it everywhere.

Ririka

• Bay Watcher
  • 1 out of 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 11:01:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Worth 157200.
I wonder how much damage gold weapons deal.
Call me Rika.
'I often don't know where my Luggage is, that's what being a tourist is all about,'said Twoflower.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:04:10 am »

50%, but artifact bonus pushes it to crazytown. that's probably the best weapon in your fort, not counting other artifacts.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 12:15:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Worth 157200.
I wonder how much damage gold weapons deal.

Wow, it looks like that artifact shows all the history of dwarves being elected to be leaders on it.
Too bad show all history isn't on.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Von Krieger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:54 pm »

My best was using the modbase mineral mod, a 1.5 million piece of plate armor in Kerasteel, with some designs in diamond, and kerasteel spikes.

Not surprising that my sheriff would singlehandedly run out and murder goblin sieges all by himself.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 02:12:58 pm »

My best was either the Adamantine Chain mail that got depicted on just about every other artefact and piece of junk brought in with the caravans or the Adamantine Spear.  The Chain Mail(Glitteredwrung the Worthless Drill) was worth over 2 million, and the Spear somewhere in the middle of the One million range.  I have an adventurer running around with both of them.  He has, so far, killed about a dozen demons and several hundred goblins.  I am thinking about having him genocide the elves next.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 03:14:38 pm »

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 03:19:27 pm »

I've never actually located adimantine. it makes me sad. i wish i could get reveal to work.
 >:(
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89