Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 282328 times)

Terbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2008, 09:47:09 am »

Gusgasheser, "Stokeglittered", A Elf Bone Buckler
The leader of my champion-wrestler squad now uses it. It's made from seven (7) elf bones.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2008, 02:22:16 pm »

Update on my fort with the Inobatanium Doom Hammer. I just got a possessed weaponsmith. Now I have 2 Inobtanium Doom Hammers.

"The Brave Glories" An Inobtanium Doom Hammer

"The Reticent Side" An Inobtanium Doom Hammer

If only I had bothered training an army. These might be useful. Still fun to have.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2008, 06:34:52 pm »

A clearly inspired creation.

For those who don't like imageshack:

Thuthuxin Vost Apuk, "Tuftedrift the Hardiness of Conquers", a turtle bone shield.
This is a turtle bone shield. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of turtle bone.
On the item is an image of Tuftedrift the Hardiness of Conquers the turtle bone shield in turtle bone.
On the item is an image of Tuftedrift the Hardiness of Conquers the turtle bone shield in turtle bone.

I think the fey spirit was suffering from crafter's block.  The first artifact I ever got that made me laugh.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:37:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2008, 10:54:26 pm »

not only is that self-refrential, but it's double refrential! ug, that's gotta be an FPS drop.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

LG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2008, 01:53:45 pm »

I don't know if it's necessarily my best artifact ever, but I got a chuckle out of "Drenchwind the Basin of Spies"--a magnetite floodgate.

I decided that the creator was trying to make a subtle suggestion there, though I haven't yet taken him up on it. If I do ever create a watery deathchamber, though, I know what I'm using in its construction.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2008, 03:09:06 pm »

I had a bone battle-axe once called 'the umbral grief'. Unfortunately, when my dwarf went to the bone pile to get supplies, he grabbed some steelhead trout bones instead of taking some of the many unicorn bones, so it didn't turn out as awesome as it could have been.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2008, 03:37:33 pm »

A native copper door, studded with native copper, encircled with bands of native copper, it mences with spikes of native copper, on it is a picture of a dwarf surrounded by more dwarves, in you guessed it native copper.

kind of funny, happened about 3 months into my fortress, and all i had was obsidian, native copper, and mudstone.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »

Many fortresses ago my metalsmith went bananas and created a steel cage which I sadly do not have the exact description for anymore.

Though it went something like this:
This is a steel cage. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of steel. It menaces with spikes of steel. It is adorned with hanging rings of steel. It is studded with steel. On the item is an image of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarves are surrounding the dwarf.

Itīs real name was something with wicked sorcery, but I nicknamed it "Prisonrape Cage" and put it in my prison. :)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:27 am »

An axe made from iron called "Moralwatch." and a shield made from sterling silver menacing with spikes of something and an image of the king on it.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:22 pm »

A set of two artifacts: elephant leather shield and elephant leather armor. They both had elephant bone decorating them, among other things.
I had a very prolific hunter.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2008, 05:33:27 am »

My marksdwarf shot my armoursmith in the leg while practising, after he recovered the dwarf was possesed and made an artifiact....

"Leghurt the copper leggings" it was called.

"On this item is the image of a dwarf and a dwarf in copper. The dwarf is shooting the dwarf."

I love this game...

hey overlord, is it alright if I put that in my sig?

Also, likely the most valuable artifact I ever had was an addy mechanism worth about 1.5 million monies, It was addy, decorated with 2-3 wafers. Used up all my hard smithed addy at the time, and I would never be able to match it with another equally well built mechanism because it was made of addy.

My favourite was probably when I had the 4 legendary wood crafters, they all went legendary in the same year, for similiar objects (sorry, its been a while) drove me insane though, I mean, wood crafting, other than arrows, is a little useless. They harvested every tree on the map for arrows and charcoal. It took one of them about 5 minutes to go through 100 pieces of wood at 25 a stack of wood, I was set for the season of practice and warfare. Then I had them engrave or some other menial task.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:40:59 am by Slinkyfest »
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2008, 12:35:18 pm »

Yeah, I hate when a moody dwarf claims a craftdwarf's workshop and makes a beeline for the wood stockpile.  Not only do I wind up with a legendary crapcarver, but I also wind up with an artifact worth 3600☼ :'(
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:50 pm »

Yeah, I hate when a moody dwarf claims a craftdwarf's workshop and makes a beeline for the wood stockpile.  Not only do I wind up with a legendary crapcarver, but I also wind up with an artifact worth 3600☼ :'(

A legendary crapcarver would be pretty cool, in a horrifying and disgusting sort of way.

Woodcrafters aren't useless btw, exceptional and masterful wood bolts should practically do the same damage as standard quality iron bolts if my math serves me right. Make good trade goods too, if you got shit-tons of wood.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2008, 03:29:18 pm »

I agree that woodcarvers are far from useless, and you're correct that a ☼wooden bolt☼ and a no-tag iron bolt do the same damage (with the ☼wooden bolt☼ actually being slightly superior due to the skill bonus that item quality also gives).  The problem with woodcarvers is that anything they can do, a bonecarver can do with a resource that doesn't have many better uses (as opposed to wood's use for such things as beds and barrels).

Ammo:  Bone bolts are identical to comparable wood bolts, and unless you have to use the bones for armor, there isn't much better to do with them.
Crafts:  Stone crafts are effectively identical to comparable wooden crafts, and no matter how much wood is available, virtually every single fort is going to have a hell of a lot more stone to work with.  And stonecrafters have the option of using more expensive stone, namely flux and maybe obsidian, to make more valuable crafts.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:47 pm »

I agree that woodcarvers are far from useless, and you're correct that a ☼wooden bolt☼ and a no-tag iron bolt do the same damage (with the ☼wooden bolt☼ actually being slightly superior due to the skill bonus that item quality also gives).  The problem with woodcarvers is that anything they can do, a bonecarver can do with a resource that doesn't have many better uses (as opposed to wood's use for such things as beds and barrels).

Ammo:  Bone bolts are identical to comparable wood bolts, and unless you have to use the bones for armor, there isn't much better to do with them.
Crafts:  Stone crafts are effectively identical to comparable wooden crafts, and no matter how much wood is available, virtually every single fort is going to have a hell of a lot more stone to work with.  And stonecrafters have the option of using more expensive stone, namely flux and maybe obsidian, to make more valuable crafts.

Not to mention bones are much more avaliable if you're playing 'safely' or in wood-less areas, since all you need are breeding pairs of animals  ;) ( Yeah, I tend to have fortresses with too many animals, at least it's easier resource to manage over long run, only complaint I got is no bone 'stone' in vanilla game ) Eek, getting a bit off-topic... as for me, I disabled artifacts after the first three fortresses, it gets tiring FAST to have dwarves going crazy or berserk cuz I don't have silk clothes, shells or gems   >:(
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 89