Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 121680 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #870 on: June 06, 2014, 01:26:35 am »

Edit: Further testing seems to reinforce my suspicions that summons (from monster summoning I) are the cause of the crash. I don't remember this crash ever happening with a character that wasn't a mage with the monster summoning I spell. Furthermore, it seems to occur right when the duration of one of the summons ends.
This is related to summoning.  Something is cleared earlier which is found to be cleared later.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:54:57 am by chooseusername »
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 06, 2014, 05:52:37 am »

I have another savegame which crashes every time after a few moves. I'm playing a mage who has been summoning a few monsters.

Do you want it ?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 06, 2014, 05:39:15 pm »

Really looked forward to trying this game and read some of the resources provided.
Then I downloaded it and came to the character creation screen.
What the fuck do I do?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 06, 2014, 05:52:44 pm »

... what's holding you up, exactly? Feat choice, skill choice, class/race? Any or all of the above?

In broad strokes, it's pretty straightforward -- pick stats, race, class (the order in which you do so can vary based on the options you chose), then feats, skill, and maybe initial spells. Then a personality archetype (which is entirely aesthetic) and you're off to the races.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 06, 2014, 06:03:17 pm »

Sheer number of options.
I guess I have to fuck around for a while.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 06, 2014, 06:14:44 pm »

Yeah, more or less. Decent feat choice is something that basically only comes about either by reading everything and thinking a lot or usage, and picking skills is more or less the same (though there's considerably fewer of those, so it takes less effort/time to get a handle on skills). Class/race has considerably fewer moving parts, but feat/skill choice is fairly dependent on them. S'all pretty interdependent *shrugs*

That said, once you've meandered your way through the process a few (dozen) times it starts getting considerably easier -- you'll have a handle on what you're after and what does what, making the whole thing take much less time and effort. It looks more intimidating than it is, really. Which isn't to say it isn't intimidating, but... yeah. It's pretty easy to throw out whole chunks of feats or skills depending on what you're trying to build.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 06, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »

Well I made a basic dwarven fighter with some survival skills.
Then I found my first chest and wondered if the inventory management is really that bad, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 06, 2014, 06:54:09 pm »

It becomes a lot less fiddly if you turn on the container cursors. It is a bit clunky, though, what with being pretty much directly lifted from an 80s era roguelike (Omega). You get used to it. Tab cycles between containers (backpack, chest), z will take you to the bottom of your equipment, after which you can just go down once to get into whatever container you're dealing with, or you can press up from the top to get to the bottom of said container. You can also press F8 to pull up autoloot.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:56:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 06, 2014, 07:36:37 pm »

I have another savegame which crashes every time after a few moves. I'm playing a mage who has been summoning a few monsters.

Do you want it ?
Define crash, i.e. what happens, does the executable exit?  Does the error box come up?   Can you hit continue and go on with the game?
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 06, 2014, 07:38:05 pm »

Well I made a basic dwarven fighter with some survival skills.
Then I found my first chest and wondered if the inventory management is really that bad, or if I'm doing something wrong.
Everything is complicated and detailed.  It's not easy for a new player to get to grips with.  I had the same reaction to you, when I started.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 06, 2014, 08:52:35 pm »

Hmmm, is there some way I can fiddle with the keybindings? Pgup/Pgdown don't seem to scroll my inventory.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 06, 2014, 10:48:12 pm »

Hmmm, is there some way I can fiddle with the keybindings? Pgup/Pgdown don't seem to scroll my inventory.
This is a bug in Y10.  Use Y9.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 07, 2014, 07:50:12 am »

Any way to set custom controls?
I'm stuck with a laptop for 4 days so no numpad and I can't get used to the "roguelike controls" setting at all.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 07, 2014, 08:13:38 am »

I still don't understand why having an inventory management system that isn't stupid would detract from the gaming experience.

I mean, the inventory management system seem to suffer from a major case of needless complication.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 07, 2014, 08:15:26 am »

How do you scroll?

edit: ah, the page up and down keys.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:43:38 am by Dutchling »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62