Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 120650 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #855 on: June 01, 2014, 02:40:55 pm »

basically the diplomacy/alignment/hostility system.

Yeah. That's going to be tough. :P

I suppose the simplistic approach is "summoned critters and allies behave and are reacted to as if they have the alignment of their 'party leader'".

"No, that's my hell hound - he's quite safe, really."

A more complete approach could involve "apologies" "calls for truce" and/or "commands/requests to allies not to attack _". All of which could be influenced by diplomacy / intimidate / bluff / animal handling / whatever.

"Bad hell hound! Stop eating that dwarf!" (animal handling check)
"I'm so sorry, he's usually better behaved than that." (diplomacy check / language skills check)
"Could you stop trying to kill him, please?" (diplomacy check / language skills check)
()==[:::::::::::::>

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 01, 2014, 06:23:26 pm »

how many really major bugs are left in incursion? chooseusername has been banging out alot...
Do not worry, I've added at least one new one in the latest release.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 01, 2014, 07:04:18 pm »

Please make it so that "fixing" diplomacy/relations system will not remove all the inter-group fights that can happen, but make them actually dependant on various mechanic rolls.

What i really like in Incursion is that feeling those infighting even out of your sight, but that you can hear , that some of the enemies are there with their own goals (even if it's not like that in the code)

It's similar to a Dwarf Fortress in which the game makes you imagine (as it's your mind making up what isn't actually coded) a lot about some situations that happens in front of you (leading to interesting stories like this or that or this), to me those little code "happy accident" makes the game incredibly more alive and contribute a lot in the ambiance.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 03, 2014, 06:59:55 pm »

Yeah, the living world effect given by having opposing groups or individuals in the game is what makes Incursion so great.  Either hearing/seeing something else happening in the dungeon, or just coming across a blasted battleground after whoever had been there had massacred each other in a skirmish and moved on.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 05, 2014, 06:42:13 am »

Hi,

I have a strange bug I encountered more than once : during the game, a red square appears in the middle of the screen and the game freezes completely.

Any idea ?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 05, 2014, 07:03:46 am »

I have a strange bug I encountered more than once : during the game, a red square appears in the middle of the screen and the game freezes completely.
I don't have any idea. But the same thing happened to me.

Have you got a recent save game before it happened?

The interesting thing is that it seems to be 'triggered' 10 turns or so before the game actually crashes. So if you have a save game you can put it up on a file share site so it can be debugged.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 05, 2014, 07:05:53 am »

I've been thinking about learning this game.
Does a good beginner guide exist?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 05, 2014, 07:46:52 am »

Haha, probably. I don't know where though. ;)

I think the best way to learn it is to try, and die, a lot. Also a lot of it is based on the D&D system and/or the d20 system - so you can look up skills and monsters online.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 05, 2014, 11:02:50 am »

The built-in help is rather useful, I found. '?' to bring it up, I think.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 05, 2014, 11:23:01 am »

I was trying to find one to introduce a friend to it and couldn't find a decent one. Fortunately there's a lot of in game help, but it's still very much trial and error, as well as drawing on DnD resources for item descriptions and stuff.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 05, 2014, 11:29:53 am »

Heh. The rough bit is you'd actually need, like... eight. Beginners guides. One for each class.

But yeah, the in-game help also has the manual in its entirety stuck in it. If you read it from the top, you should actually come out having a pretty decent idea what's up. It's just... kinda' lengthy. As a usable beginner's guide would be.

Maybe give the wiki a gander, though. It's probably a little out of date in places, but last I looked at it, it had some decent info. Particularly the FAQ, strategy guide, and beginner's tips bits.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 05, 2014, 12:14:21 pm »

This might be a useful link as it's got most stuff in it: http://www.incursion-roguelike.org/man/Advent.html
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 05, 2014, 03:36:58 pm »

If you tell someone to put up a save game, tell them to compress it!  Thanks :-)
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 05, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »

I've had the same thing happen to me on several different characters. Fortunately, I still have one of these saves after I pulled it back out of the recycle bin.

http://www.filedropper.com/save_2

The crash occurs a little while after loading. Although the crash seems to occur at about the same time my scarecrow is desummoning, dismissing it doesn't seem to stop the crash. I should note that this save is from 0.6.9Y9.

Edit: Further testing seems to reinforce my suspicions that summons (from monster summoning I) are the cause of the crash. I don't remember this crash ever happening with a character that wasn't a mage with the monster summoning I spell. Furthermore, it seems to occur right when the duration of one of the summons ends.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:02:20 pm by Hamel »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:41 am »

Thanks for sharing.
Now I just have to find the time to pick it up.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62