Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we make a DF multiplayer game?

In the form of a MU* (as has already been tried)
- 4 (4.3%)
Empire building browser-based game, using the Frost and Flame engine or making it from scratch
- 10 (10.9%)
Adventure RPG browser-based game, using the Dragon Knights engine or making it from scratch
- 4 (4.3%)
A dungone crawler or maybe cooperative fortress builder client-based game using the Eclipse engine (would be real time, and have better graphics than browser-based games)
- 25 (27.2%)
Cooperative fortress building browser-based game, with traditional DF top-view 2D tiles
- 45 (48.9%)
a deviant of the cooperative fortress building browser-based game, were the tiles are grouped into bigger "sections"
- 3 (3.3%)
Other (propose it in the thread please)
- 1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?  (Read 24423 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creation of a DF Browser Based game?
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:16:08 am »

After reading some of the posts around the Various Nonsense forum (particularly the DF MU* and the EmperorLand "Imagination Tech" MMORPG  :P), I've been thinking about if a DF-Themed online multiplayer game (not necessarily MASSIVELY multiplayer) would be a project that could be possibly undertaken by the community.

Multiplayer DF already has been tried in the form of the DF MU*, but it sadly seems that it has gone either inactive or is in veeeerrrryyy slow development. So what if the community tried to make a browser based game themed around DF? That way, we take another shot at multiplayer DF, while at the same time not making the work people put into the MUX go to waste, since both games could co-exist at the same time, because of the different ways of playing them etc.

I myself have little knowledge of any web-related programming/developping/publishing/whatever, and probably can't even make the most basic site even if I tried (atleast, not yet), so this thread is more of a community discussion thread for this idea. What software should be used? What programming languages? PHP, ASP, or something else? What database program? I downloaded the express editions of micrososft's visual studio, and I think its a good place to start. (Please don't start flamming me for using Windows/Microsoft Software/etc, I know alot of people think they stink and whatnot, but I'm no hardcore pc geek, all I want is some basic functionality and ease of use)

Feel free to discuss. Also, non-programmers and basically anybody who doesn't have even the most basic clue of what the hell I am talking about software and programming and stuff, you are all still more than welcome to discuss the ideas and give suggestions :D
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:27:14 am »

The good news is that I know how to create a real MMORPG, with PHP. And not the one with "Imagnation Tech". :P

Just a simple turn-based strategy game, similar to that of Earth 2010 (or if you are not familar with that, Utopia). It uses the Frost and Flame engine, based on the ever-popular Promisance engine. You play as a warband and fight against other warbands for land and glory.

The bad news is that I was planning on making such an MMORPG for the simple goal of making money, and I had a pre-made idea for it. The only thing that prevents me from actually making such an MMORPG is web hosting. If you can get me that, I could make two MMORPGs, one for "Drawf Fortress", and another one for my own Pet Project where players travel through time and fight in World War 2, World War 3, and World War 4.

The terrible news, of course, is that I doubt any of you have commerical web hosting. :P
Other engines that I am familar with are:
--Dragon Knight: Play as an adventuerer and fight NPCs for glory. (There is also a 'land mod' that allows you to own your own kingdom, but it may take some time to work, and it's best to assume I don't know how to use it)
--Multiplayer Educational Game Engine: Play as an Empire, and try to make the most money possible. To do so, you must either invade other Empires for money or try to run your government effectively by answering "Issues".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:09:51 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:49:58 am »

Although game engines are easy to work with, I doubt that there are any out there that can really capture the DF 'spirit', atleast not withought alot of modification. And yeah, it's going to be hard to find someone with commercial web hosting...
<@Akroma> eh

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:52:04 am »

Would you give a link to the engine you are using? I've some experience with PHP and making your own MMORPG sound like great fun (and the good lord knows my family could use some money).

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 12:53:44 pm »

The MUX project is down, so I doubt it is being worked on.

And with the Eclipse engine it wouldn't be hard at all to make a DF MMORPG.
http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/index.php

I could help with an MMO, as I have some experience in that.

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 01:01:49 pm »

If anyone actually goes through with this, and shows the game in action (by hosting it on their own computer or something to that effect) I may be able to provide hosting.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 01:08:41 pm »

Although game engines are easy to work with, I doubt that there are any out there that can really capture the DF 'spirit', atleast not withought alot of modification.

Well, then the MEGG thingy might be best for you...even though I don't know exactly how to download it. The reason is that the "Issues" part of the DF can be modified, meaning that you can create strange Issues that reflect the DF theme. Maybe.

Would you give a link to the engine you are using?

http://www.frostnflame.org/

Though I like money too. :)

zac: The Frost and Flame website has a sample game that you can log in and play, in order to see how it works. I also have the Pet Project set up on my personal computer, but I'd need a webhost in order to transfer it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:13:34 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 02:55:27 pm »

Both FAF and Eclipse seem promissing afterall. I was starting to think this might have to be coded from scratch. :)
<@Akroma> eh

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 03:47:51 pm »

I have used Eclipse before, and I can say that it is very easy to use and script.
Most of the work is done in-game anyway, and multiple people can work on it at the same time once the server is up.

But the choice is up to you, and I can help you with the project if you want.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:21:39 pm »

Before choosing the tools/language/hosting/whatever the community needs to make the game it would perhaps be best to do some design beforehand  :-\ (i.e. the design phase). The choice of tools usually comes after that, once everyone knows what we need to make it is easier to choose the right tools for the job.

Anyway, once the design phase is over I would be more than happy to help with making the game. But right now, I have absolutely no idea what kind of game everyone here wants. So, right now we don't need programmers, we need designers.

So far, I understand people want an internet-based game, but what kind ? RPG ? dungeon crawl ? adventure game ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:25:58 pm by Istrian »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:36:03 pm »

Hmm, what kind of game... I propose to make the game based on the Adventure Mode of DF, so basically a dungeon crawl, with RPG elements (basic go-kill-that-monster quests, etc). If enough other proposals are made, I'll put up a poll.
<@Akroma> eh

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 04:44:33 pm »

MMMMmm.... Sounds realy fun. We could add every thing that isn't in df yet. Like adventure mode house building and maby searching for plants to eat and all that..Magic weapons..ect
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 05:00:23 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Personally, I am terrible at making sprites and GUI, but hopefully someone will help out with that.

And in the dungeons/caves/ruins, will there be traps? Because those are my special love.

And magic weapons are a must, such as flaming swords, ice arrows, ect ect.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »

Okay, so you want an DF-based adventure game. Here's the other game engine I know how to use, Dragon Knights. Though, if you guys like graphics, stick with Eclipse, altough I can't really help you with that.

I am familar with creating empire-based games, so I do propose a DF game based on DF Fortresses, but meh. One thing I do wonder however is the idea that both games somehow...'interrelate'. People will great empires within the DF Empire Mode gets to have buildings and towns named after them within the DF Adventure Mode. Great adventurers within DF Adventure Mode can be 'deified' into Gods that people in the DF Empire Mode may worship for bonuses.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:08:00 pm by Servant Corps »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 05:16:43 pm »

Well, if you want to make something there would certainly need to be ideas, so here are mine:

Ignore all you want, I am just throwing them out there.
Warning: wall of text with Spelling/Grammar mistakes ahead
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: also, if you show interst, I could go to google and learn about advanced HTML stuff(I think I know 5 things now, ant it would need, at LEAST tables) and make some HTML examples in a .ZIP
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:19:31 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17