Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we make a DF multiplayer game?

In the form of a MU* (as has already been tried)
- 4 (4.3%)
Empire building browser-based game, using the Frost and Flame engine or making it from scratch
- 10 (10.9%)
Adventure RPG browser-based game, using the Dragon Knights engine or making it from scratch
- 4 (4.3%)
A dungone crawler or maybe cooperative fortress builder client-based game using the Eclipse engine (would be real time, and have better graphics than browser-based games)
- 25 (27.2%)
Cooperative fortress building browser-based game, with traditional DF top-view 2D tiles
- 45 (48.9%)
a deviant of the cooperative fortress building browser-based game, were the tiles are grouped into bigger "sections"
- 3 (3.3%)
Other (propose it in the thread please)
- 1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?  (Read 24619 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 05:25:28 pm »

In terms of graphics I'm thinking pretty basic.
I don't care about graphics, but the one thing I can't stand is badly made ones that don't match.

Animated sprites and tiles would be nice, but tricky to pull off.
I'm thinking somthing around the lines of Dragon Warrior(The first one) or Final Fantasy 1-3.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 05:31:01 pm »

Battles could be rows or roguelike text logging the results(A attacks B(for x damage),more like that on each line, effects from enchantments occasionally showing up)

Goblins appearing on levels close to the surface, worse near HFS, megabeasts mostly appear on/above the surface...
Eh?
Eh!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 05:33:51 pm »

Making races seige each other would be tough though.
So, one big world with transitions, or what?

And why not realtime fighting?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 05:43:38 pm »

Well, if it had little "zones" each representing about a 25*25 area on one Z level, with the only interactions through transitions, it would fit better into an internet browser and make everything run easier.
If each 5*5 area was turned into a "tile" that could contain one small building(a mining area would take 3*3 tiles or so(15*15 DF tiles)) while a workshop takes only one tile. To simplify some stuff, multiple rooms could fit on one tile, and baracks housing could hold 5 times as many players temporarily and stuff...
Eh?
Eh!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 05:47:27 pm »

My own MMORPG viewpoints...while admittingly pretty cynical, involves first getting the framework of the basic game (which is why I like using game engines). Afterwards, request for ideas to add onto the engine, and then think of ways to implement such ideas in a creative fashion. For example, Dragon Knights have lots of cities, in the cities, I can implement in cool items that can bought in each town in order to represent stuff. But, first, of course, you need to upload Dragon Knights onto a server.

The philosphy might work, might not. Who knows?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:50:55 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 06:21:05 pm »

How about This as a general base?
It is only a horribly incomplete HTML example, but try it anyway.
Eh?
Eh!

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 06:30:29 pm »

I would like the game to be a collaborative Fortress Mode.

A very basic idea :

At first all players start in a new location and each player controls a dwarf. Each dwarf has needs (food, drink, other) that need to be satisfied in order to keep the dwarf productive, and it's up to the player to find what the dwarf needs.

Players can do the same jobs as dwarves can in Fortress Mode. Each player can collect materials and build/dig rooms, build workshops and produce items. Players would need to decide among themselves on what needs to be done and who has to do it.

In a way it would be a fortress building/survival game. From time to time enemies would spawn on the map, etc.

After a while (when things become boring, or when everyone is dead) the fort is stopped and saved for everyone to see and a server reset occurs and a new fort begins.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 06:44:57 pm »

Well, the MUX is planned to do that, but it would still be cool.

The first question should be, 2D or 3D?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 07:01:57 pm »

Now wait.
Is this supposed to be browser based like hobowars and ogame, or flash-in-browser based 2d game, or go so far as a java applet and go with 3d?

In my opinion, if it needs flash or java it is not a true browser based game, and can be run without the browser window, also opening up the possibility of hacked clients and cellphones don't work.
Eh?
Eh!

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 07:34:42 pm »

I'd say tile-based 2D top-down view to remain true to DF.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 09:00:20 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_game

So, what of the following sounds EASIEST:

-PHP
-flash
-java

Also, what one would be better for everyone who might eventually work on it, if it is not a solo project?
Eh?
Eh!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 09:39:38 pm »

I would like the game to be a collaborative Fortress Mode.

A very basic idea :

At first all players start in a new location and each player controls a dwarf. Each dwarf has needs (food, drink, other) that need to be satisfied in order to keep the dwarf productive, and it's up to the player to find what the dwarf needs.

Players can do the same jobs as dwarves can in Fortress Mode. Each player can collect materials and build/dig rooms, build workshops and produce items. Players would need to decide among themselves on what needs to be done and who has to do it.

In a way it would be a fortress building/survival game. From time to time enemies would spawn on the map, etc.

After a while (when things become boring, or when everyone is dead) the fort is stopped and saved for everyone to see and a server reset occurs and a new fort begins.

We could elect a Mayor after a certain population too who would give players jobs, after we got enough players (the first player would be the Expedition Leader, obviously). Maybe a few more nobles too.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 09:41:45 pm »

I know flash a tiny bit, and I could learn java in a short while.

I'll help wherever I can.

Fortress Mode sounds veeery interesting.
The coding might be tough for all the jobs though, but it would be pretty sweet.
Maybe we could have more than one fort that people could join, and eventually there could be wars/trading between them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:34 pm »

I know flash a tiny bit, and I could learn java in a short while.

I'll help wherever I can.

Fortress Mode sounds veeery interesting.
The coding might be tough for all the jobs though, but it would be pretty sweet.
Maybe we could have more than one fort that people could join, and eventually there could be wars/trading between them.

Works perfectly with my idea as well. I was kinda hoping that would be the case, except what would happen when one fortress got too big. Please say Tantrum Spiral, because that would be awesome.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 09:47:36 pm »

When one gets too big we send 7 off to start a new one with minimal supplies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17