Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we make a DF multiplayer game?

In the form of a MU* (as has already been tried)
- 4 (4.3%)
Empire building browser-based game, using the Frost and Flame engine or making it from scratch
- 10 (10.9%)
Adventure RPG browser-based game, using the Dragon Knights engine or making it from scratch
- 4 (4.3%)
A dungone crawler or maybe cooperative fortress builder client-based game using the Eclipse engine (would be real time, and have better graphics than browser-based games)
- 25 (27.2%)
Cooperative fortress building browser-based game, with traditional DF top-view 2D tiles
- 45 (48.9%)
a deviant of the cooperative fortress building browser-based game, were the tiles are grouped into bigger "sections"
- 3 (3.3%)
Other (propose it in the thread please)
- 1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?  (Read 24617 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2008, 08:12:30 pm »

After around two weeks of no windows(a virus...), living on ubuntu, I finally have windows back.

And I remembered about this, so I am going through the long annoying process of recreating the database.

I changed my mind about the dwarves, 3 bytes each for up to 85 dwarves per player, or maybe...
No, I don't need to inclde pointers to dwarves: I have SELECT.
Yeah, that would work.

And ban time can be solved by storing the date of unbannage so a simple < fixes the problem.
Eh?
Eh!

KGodwin

• Bay Watcher
  • *glomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:13 pm »

Just wondering whats going on with this. ;)

Ya...I registered just to make this post! ;(

KGodwin

• Bay Watcher
  • *glomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2009, 04:50:39 am »

I guess this is dead then?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2009, 12:23:29 pm »

I still got my FAF engine if anyone is interested in that. I assumed you already got some free web server place that can upload the engine?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

KGodwin

• Bay Watcher
  • *glomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2009, 03:48:01 pm »

Eh, I'm just a bystander who is curious what is going on is all. ;)

I'm working on my own PBBG which is in a similar vein (although not try to emulate dwarf fortress) so was curious.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2010, 01:35:25 am »

Alright guys

yonks ago i started work on a php/sql browser based df style game, much like what has been discussed in this thread (just read through it)

what I had down was: some basic world generation algorithms (using temp, rainfall etc like df). this created maps which were then stored in the db

i also had a simple page where you could move around the map (and chat to everybody in that current 'world'). started working on mining you could mine down and around (yes, implemented a z layer)

it used ajax, so you could see other dwarfs moving around you/tiles changing/chat updating instantly/etc

having no webspace, and lot's of people having a go at me, i lay it to rest

now I have a dedicated server (for my other games) and reading through this thread (despite its age) im thinking there are people who want this!

if you guys are still interested, let me know, and ill get a mini forum/discussion page up on my server for us to talk ideas/etc, along with a basic wiki, and we can start getting some people together to help (although i can do quite a bit by myself for the time being)

i've already done enough so the interested people can come play the game as its being developed

if your interested, send me a pm, or reply in this thread. if enough people give me a shout, let's get started!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »

count me in xam

halberdear

• Bay Watcher
  • Ronald has gone mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2010, 08:03:26 pm »

I'm in.
We have received word of a possible syndicate nuke squad in the area. We are now detonating the station to prevent nuclear destruction. Please stand by.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2010, 09:04:24 pm »

i propose the game is made in ascii characters, but upon close inspe(k)tion you could see awesome pictures of the creatures or items. i volunteer as artist and art dictator director!

halberdear

• Bay Watcher
  • Ronald has gone mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2010, 11:24:23 pm »

i propose the game is made in ascii characters, but upon close inspe(k)tion you could see awesome pictures of the creatures or items. i volunteer as artist and art dictator director!

I also would be interested in doing some Artwork.
We have received word of a possible syndicate nuke squad in the area. We are now detonating the station to prevent nuclear destruction. Please stand by.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »

Ah, what the heck. I'll chip in here and there what I can.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

halberdear

• Bay Watcher
  • Ronald has gone mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2010, 11:38:18 pm »

I also would be interested in doing some Artwork.

On the other hand, the majority of the voters went with the option of using traditional DF sprites. Maybe we don't need to make any artwork.

halberdear

• Bay Watcher
  • Ronald has gone mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2010, 11:58:47 pm »

Here's a rough concept drawing showing what I think the game might look like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The group project menu is where you would organize who can work on your project.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:02:45 am by halberdear »

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2010, 01:11:55 am »

decided to take a little time and make it clearer as to what you were trying to show.
although I took the liberty of switching the inventory and labours menu's because inventory is not as important as getting jobs done which need to be done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2010, 02:56:51 am »

if i get the lil forum up, we can all plan and develop together

also, i could code it so we could have different tilesets. start off using ascii, then anybody could develop a tileset and use it.

stuff should be up later on today :]

also learnt some cool stuff about ajax push engines, will make the game alot faster

peace
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17