Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we make a DF multiplayer game?

In the form of a MU* (as has already been tried)
- 4 (4.3%)
Empire building browser-based game, using the Frost and Flame engine or making it from scratch
- 10 (10.9%)
Adventure RPG browser-based game, using the Dragon Knights engine or making it from scratch
- 4 (4.3%)
A dungone crawler or maybe cooperative fortress builder client-based game using the Eclipse engine (would be real time, and have better graphics than browser-based games)
- 25 (27.2%)
Cooperative fortress building browser-based game, with traditional DF top-view 2D tiles
- 45 (48.9%)
a deviant of the cooperative fortress building browser-based game, were the tiles are grouped into bigger "sections"
- 3 (3.3%)
Other (propose it in the thread please)
- 1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?  (Read 24413 times)

Endek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creation of a DF Browser Based game?
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:30 am »

*coffs*

I was writing a javascript homage to DF back in March, in anticipation of the release. The release happened, and the homage was never finished.

http://ed.onlinewar.org/bspd/www/
(numpad to scroll, but the viewport starts at the topleft)

I don't mind terribly if my javascript DF-tile renderer engine gets used on this project, FWIW.

[Edit - I should mention that it's only confirmed as working in Firefox. It doesn't work at all on IE, and works strangely on webkit, at least on my phone.)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2010, 07:53:21 am »

as i said, i think the game should be in ascii, or atleast use ascii characters in homage to the original game, several pictures could be used whenever you looked at something.
Ii could draw pngs wiith transparency of , say, battle axes, hanging rings, menacing spikes, several engravings, etc., all in separate pictures, then when someone skilled enough created an awesome axe the game would throw a bunch of decorations at it.

i think the game could be loosely based on dwarf fortress economy. people would each have one dwarf, there would be an expedition leader apointed from time to time who had the power to create some tasks, like designating the digging of the new dinning hall, then miner dwarves could go and dig it out and received a number of credits for each square dug, then the expedition leader would mandate the production of 500 easy meals, and each cook would receive a number of credits based on the quality of the meal they created. eventually, rich players could mandate stuff themselves if they had enough credit to pay the guys performing the service

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2010, 12:04:00 pm »

Heh, looking back at this... I think Lumin already created a DF Browser game. Nothing stopping you guys from building another, though :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

halberdear

• Bay Watcher
  • Ronald has gone mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2010, 05:37:02 pm »

as i said, i think the game should be in ascii, or atleast use ascii characters in homage to the original game, several pictures could be used whenever you looked at something.
Ii could draw pngs wiith transparency of , say, battle axes, hanging rings, menacing spikes, several engravings, etc., all in separate pictures, then when someone skilled enough created an awesome axe the game would throw a bunch of decorations at it.

i think the game could be loosely based on dwarf fortress economy. people would each have one dwarf, there would be an expedition leader apointed from time to time who had the power to create some tasks, like designating the digging of the new dinning hall, then miner dwarves could go and dig it out and received a number of credits for each square dug, then the expedition leader would mandate the production of 500 easy meals, and each cook would receive a number of credits based on the quality of the meal they created. eventually, rich players could mandate stuff themselves if they had enough credit to pay the guys performing the service

That sounds awesome. Hard to make, but awesome none the less.
We have received word of a possible syndicate nuke squad in the area. We are now detonating the station to prevent nuclear destruction. Please stand by.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2010, 08:32:41 pm »

okai! i've got a forum/wiki up

should be a good communication basis for the game

im gonna start posting some of the bits i've done so far, world gen algorithms, stuff like that

i won't start putting together any game bits until we've decided how we want to manage it. ie, login, create a dwarf, pick one of your dwarfs, choose a world or generate a new one, etc once we decide i'll get on it asap!

you can head over to www.dfmp.co.nr to check it out
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:07:55 pm by xam »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2010, 10:37:45 pm »

been there, posted stuff. gotta go to sleep now, so see ya tomorrow, xam

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:07 am »

Heh, looking back at this... I think Lumin already created a DF Browser game. Nothing stopping you guys from building another, though :P

looks interesting, except for the fact about the pregnant mothers controlling when you can play...
3 pregnant mothers and 148 people to go through them right now.. ugh design flaw. What if mothers stopped playing?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2010, 06:26:37 am »

looks interesting, except for the fact about the pregnant mothers controlling when you can play...
3 pregnant mothers and 148 people to go through them right now.. ugh design flaw. What if mothers stopped playing?

It's not as bad as it sounds. There's a few new pregnant mothers every day, and many have more than one baby. It's a flaw, but results are good in that your character gets real parents, not made up ones. Also, note that you may not be born a dwarf for those who have their hopes up for having dwarves. I've seen some horrible half-elf half-dwarf hybrids in there :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2010, 06:45:21 am »

It's not as bad as it sounds. There's a few new pregnant mothers every day, and many have more than one baby. It's a flaw, but results are good in that your character gets real parents, not made up ones. Also, note that you may not be born a dwarf for those who have their hopes up for having dwarves. I've seen some horrible half-elf half-dwarf hybrids in there :P

well I guess as long as spores are used it should be good, otherwise the community is full of perves who want dwarf on elf action.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »

we're doing pretty good

have a javascript tile engine that loads procedural maps from the server, so you can move around for ever!

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 04, 2010, 04:14:34 pm »

So you're using one IP to leech off it and try to mimic it?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2010, 04:17:55 pm »

So you're using one IP to leech off it and try to mimic it?

I don't quite understand your question
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]