Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toribash!  (Read 7489 times)

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toribash!
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:22:22 pm »

Here's a gem that I'm surprised hasn't come up yet.  Toribash is a ragdoll fighting game.  You click on the various joints of your fighter, and the muscles associated with that joint either contract, extend, hold fast, or relax.  It's mostly multiplayer, with a simultaneous turn-based approach; you set up the joints you want to affect, and then both your and your opponent's actions come into effect immediately.  It's got great physics to go along with it, and a number of different modes.  It's also free, and any microtransactions are for aesthetics only, not for any sort of gameplay buffs.

Oh, and you can rip off someone's torso and dropkick it.
link: http://www.toribash.com
Pics:

(that above one is a post-game render with POV-RAY.  Screenshots give you both raw images and .pov files.)

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toribash!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:46:14 pm »

Its cool and all, but for the most part your either using moves you have calculated way ahead of time or looking stupid and pathetic.

Also the game's physics, like a lot of independent freeware games, are insane with punches that have great decapitation chances.

Overall I give Toribash a rather low rating, it is great for cool videos, but the gameplay is rather lacking.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »

I play it every once in a while, hell if you can get used to the playing style, then you can have fun.

Judo is probably the best thing to start trying online, the goal? get the other guy to touch the floor. Any body part, ripped or otherwise, counts so long as it is not the hans or feet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 02:07:31 pm »

I'm not a fan of waiting ten minutes to play, and getting eliminated in ten seconds.  Also, there are a few moves that have no known counters, and a lot of the time you'll have someone using one over and over again, basically wasting everyone's time.
Shoes...

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 02:18:31 pm »

I agree with pretty much all those complaints, but it can be very fun to mess around with the single player mods. Avoid the tetris blocks falling out of the sky, kick Uke off a skyscraper, grab onto the pole and slide down a huge ramp and use your momentum to kick off Uke's torso....The player two dude is named Uke, right?
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 04:18:16 pm »

Ooh... this is the game with the robo limbs...

Rip off your arms and fling them at the enemy,have them grab and then make them beat the everloving crap out of your opponent.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:18:53 pm »

Hmm..
Why does that screenshot look so..  old?

On an unrelated note:
Video of me spazzing out to test custom textures here:
http://jayria.wikispaces.com/Toribash

Ooh... this is the game with the robo limbs...

Rip off your arms and fling them at the enemy,have them grab and then make them beat the everloving crap out of your opponent.
Robo?  ...the HELL does it have anything to do with robots?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

Its cool and all, but for the most part your either using moves you have calculated way ahead of time or looking stupid and pathetic.

Also the game's physics, like a lot of independent freeware games, are insane with punches that have great decapitation chances.

Overall I give Toribash a rather low rating, it is great for cool videos, but the gameplay is rather lacking.

I beg to differ. First of all, those who use precalculated moves or can't improvise good moves usually haven't been playing for very long and have yet to become skilled enough to come up with moves on the fly. I've been playing this game for a long time and am at the point where I never use the same move twice, but my moves still look fluent and can do major damage.

Secondly, you mention that the game has unrealistic decapitations, but this actually has a very easy fix: there is an option for how much damage is required to decapitate or fracture. Most people play with decapitation damage very low for fun, but if you're looking for realism or are like me you have the option of playing with realistically high decapitation damage and the addition of fractures.

I suggest that you play this game a bit longer and you may end up liking it.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 05:04:36 pm »

This has been fun.

I had a winning streak long enough to square off against Asheron twice.

Headshot you say? HA! YOU MISSED!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 05:18:29 pm »

This has been fun.

I had a winning streak long enough to square off against Asheron twice.

Headshot you say? HA! YOU MISSED!
'Twas but a flesh wound.
Anyway, atleast I didn't kick off my own arm.
Oh, wait, I did.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

Robo?  ...the HELL does it have anything to do with robots?
You can still control the joints after they leave the main body.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 08:22:57 pm »

I'm not a fan of waiting ten minutes to play, and getting eliminated in ten seconds.  Also, there are a few moves that have no known counters, and a lot of the time you'll have someone using one over and over again, basically wasting everyone's time.

Yeah, there's a couple of sword moves that're just lame.  There's technically counters, but those counters pretty much amount to forcing a stalemate by dodging completely.  Judo and aikido, though, are much better.

Also, getting eliminated in ten seconds?  PUMP UP YO GAME.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 08:39:25 pm »

I really suck at this game and have given up hope in getting anywhere by learning techniques.

Pump up yo game? How is that meant to help when you can't even really do a decap to uke?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:39:34 pm »

Once I get my server up and running, I might put up a Bay12 toribash server.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 11:02:57 am »

Our very own server... sounds cool actually.
Pages: [1] 2