Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cats...  (Read 4071 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Cats...
« on: November 01, 2008, 04:58:47 pm »

We all know the problem cats can cause when it comes to the performance of your fortress, unfortunately I have found out about it the hard way and I'm stuck with far too many.

Are there ways of simply removing the cats from an active game? I cant cage them and I cant slaughter them as my Dwarves love them...

Hope there is something I can do.

Cheers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Cats...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 05:30:44 pm »

You can't completely remove cats without generating a new world, sadly.

However, you should be able to remove the [CHILD:1] and [CHILDNAME:kitten:kittens] tags, which should at least prevent new cats from spawning. You might not want to do this if you have any existing kittens.

Alternatively, you can remove the [VERMINHUNTER] token, which will prevent them from becoming pets until they all get eaten by goblins or whatever.

Or you could do both. It'll still take a while for them to all "accidentally" die off, even if it's not from natural causes.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 05:32:58 pm »

Or you can remove their brains, causing them to die.  But this could lead to tantrums.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:07:55 pm »

Or you can remove their brains, causing them to die.  But this could lead to tantrums.
But that just makes it an even better idea!  Or to make it totally awesome, give cats severonbreaks and set their body temperature to 100000 instead of removing their brains!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 07:32:56 pm »

However, you should be able to remove the [CHILD:1] and [CHILDNAME:kitten:kittens] tags, which should at least prevent new cats from spawning. You might not want to do this if you have any existing kittens.
What problems might I encounter if I remove them while there are still kittens about?

Or you could do both. It'll still take a while for them to all "accidentally" die off, even if it's not from natural causes.
Luckily they are going after some fish in the local river and getting harmed, not often killed though and they get health care when they have owners no?

But that just makes it an even better idea!  Or to make it totally awesome, give cats severonbreaks and set their body temperature to 100000 instead of removing their brains!

Removing brains? I don't have a Brain Surgeon Dwarf.. I would increase their body temperature but if I was to do that I might as well increase my dwarf's body temperatures at the same time..

Cheers for the quick replies.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 08:51:36 pm »

I vote Kill it with fire!  Add [IGNITE_POINT:0] to cats.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 10:34:33 pm »

Oooh!  This is a good one!  Yeah, go with this.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 01:12:15 am »

Oooh!  This is a good one!  Yeah, go with this.
There is a reason why I call them the All-Purpose Animal, and like them the way they are;

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:31:40 am by Foa »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 07:30:38 am »

The thing with the cat horde . . . don't they adopt dwarves too quickly for that to work?
And yeah, you've convinced me to (temporarily) remove radioactivity from cats.  It's just not as funny as that whole list combined >:D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:32:30 am by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 09:15:33 am »

The brain removal thing just makes them flash red + signs. it isn't an instant kill.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 09:44:58 am »

What problems might I encounter if I remove them while there are still kittens about?

Well, those tags allow the existence of kittens. I'm not sure how flexible the game is in that regard; if you remove them while kittens still exist, the game MIGHT crash, but I haven't tested it. Try it and find out.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 10:34:05 am »

If you removed the prefstring from cats, would that not make it so dwarves could not like cats, and hence cats could not adopt dwarves, since they will only adopt a dwarf that likes them? I don't know what sort of affect that would have on an existing game, though.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »

The thing with the cat horde . . . don't they adopt dwarves too quickly for that to work?
And yeah, you've convinced me to (temporarily) remove radioactivity from cats.  It's just not as funny as that whole list combined
Solution:

Build an array ( Column or Row ) of cages and fill them each with a lot of cats, and make sure that place is isolate ( via outwards opening bridge ) , THEN when it is D-Day, pull the lever and release the beasts.
Also make sure to have a trap array and a marksman tower near it so you can get those f-tards while they're being mauled by cats, and when your done haul, haul, haul, and kill the non-believers via an execution lever and fill in what it does.

Fact: when animal hauling they're immune to the cat yiffiness

Fact: When building an animal farm, make sure to make two consecutive layers of tightly closed double doors, followed by a 3x2 retracting bridge over a pit, which leads back into the stupid farm, let them yiff and seasonally clean out the spawn, and extras, into cages.

Fact: When you start out with animals, CAGE THEM AS FAST AS FUCKINGLY POSSIBLE, THEIR YIFF IS TOO POWERFUL!!!

Fact: Cats have saved me too many times to make into radioactive cats
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:47:46 pm by Foa »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 06:58:09 pm »

If you removed the prefstring from cats, would that not make it so dwarves could not like cats, and hence cats could not adopt dwarves, since they will only adopt a dwarf that likes them? I don't know what sort of affect that would have on an existing game, though.
No, because the game acts of a script that acts like the following equation:
Preferences list = [NAME_CREATURE_PLURAL]+[(for their)x(prefstring)]
where if prefstring is nothing, "for their" will not show up, but the plural name will

Note that this just describes the script.
Just so I remember

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »

give them a realy short life span and make there children have only about maybe a year.

ie
[MAXAGE:2:2]
[CHILD:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

If they even survive world generation then theyed die of prety quickly around your fortress.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:42:13 pm by Gondana »
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.
Pages: [1] 2