Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cats...  (Read 4070 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Cats...
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 09:59:20 pm »

give them a realy short life span and make there children have only about maybe a year.

ie
[MAXAGE:2:2]
[CHILD:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

If they even survive world generation then theyed die of prety quickly around your fortress.
Didn't I list 32 Thesis.

32 uses for cats.

Do I need 68 more?

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 10:27:18 pm »

I was just answering the question I didn't realy care less about others' imput becouse it didn't realy affect me, (I personely like cats)
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 01:10:44 am »

However, you should be able to remove the [CHILD:1] and [CHILDNAME:kitten:kittens] tags, which should at least prevent new cats from spawning. You might not want to do this if you have any existing kittens.
What problems might I encounter if I remove them while there are still kittens about?

Well, those tags allow the existence of kittens. I'm not sure how flexible the game is in that regard; if you remove them while kittens still exist, the game MIGHT crash, but I haven't tested it. Try it and find out.
If I remember right, then someone tested it out and found that the creatures continue to exist as a child for forever from then on without ever maturing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 02:59:20 pm »

Add the TRAINABLE tag to it!

CAT SWARM!
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 04:23:10 am »

Thank you for all the replies.

The idea of training them sounds good as in reality you can train cats, I've stopped them claiming owners for now as that would stop me training them and turning them into cat leather which I'm sure my Dwarves will like.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 06:50:58 am »

[AQUATIC][UNDERSWIM][IMMOBILE_LAND]

Another way of dealing with them.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 10:54:06 pm »

The idea of training them sounds good as in reality you can train cats, I've stopped them claiming owners for now as that would stop me training them and turning them into cat leather which I'm sure my Dwarves will like.

In reality, though, there are limitations to training cats. The big thing about training that most people don't realize is that cats, unlike dogs, will not do something for you out of loyalty in most cases. Instead, cats only do something that they want to do, so the only real way to train them is to provide them with a reward every single time. This means that unlike a dog, who you only have to provide treats for some of the time, and dogs will perform for people without them, you have to off the cat something to make them want to do the thing you are trying to get them to do every single time. It works with negative punishment also. If you squirt a dog with water every time that he eats from the wrong bowl, he will eventually learn to associate the bowl with the water, and stay away from it. Cats, on the other hand, will either associate you and the water with the bowl, so they will just wait until you are gone, or they will say, "Yeah, I got squirted by water last time, but that doesn't mean that I will be squirted with water this time." So all in all, cats are actually pretty hard to train.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 11:02:37 pm »

Cats... the age old disscusion of dwarf fortress. Personally, I have long before this topic was created, made a use for them.

place cages all around your fortress, FILL THEM WITH CATS, pull a lever, cackle madly,
save the game and exit, at [Ingitepoint:0], reload the game,

Whatch as your homemade kitty mines destroy that goblin seige.

I have done this before, but if anyone was to post a video id be grateful. (Trust me, its worth it. The cats run around like maniacs, light the trees and gobbos on fire, and turn the area outside your fortress into a burning hellscape. Takes about 8-9 minutes to stop tho.)

EDIT: place 3-4 cats in unopened cages so your cat population doesnt die out.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 11:12:42 pm »

Cats... the age old disscusion of dwarf fortress. Personally, I have long before this topic was created, made a use for them.

place cages all around your fortress, FILL THEM WITH CATS, pull a lever, cackle madly,
save the game and exit, at [Ingitepoint:0], reload the game,

Whatch as your homemade kitty mines destroy that goblin seige.

I have done this before, but if anyone was to post a video id be grateful. (Trust me, its worth it. The cats run around like maniacs, light the trees and gobbos on fire, and turn the area outside your fortress into a burning hellscape. Takes about 8-9 minutes to stop tho.)

EDIT: place 3-4 cats in unopened cages so your cat population doesnt die out.
Cats are a vital supply for Foa's 32 Thesis.

Foa's Thesis is supply with 100 parts lols, and 100 parts utility uses.

Pages: 1 [2]