Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Roguelike: Incursion (0.6.0B)  (Read 3022 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Roguelike: Incursion (0.6.0B)
« on: August 09, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

Hello,

I came across a new roguelike recently: it is called "incursion" and the char development, combat, and related mechanics are based on the WoC D20 system.  I haven't played PnP games for ages now, and I often hear people complaining about the D20 system, but as far as I am concerned, it makes a kick as char development system for a roguelike.

The game is still in alpha, but even now it is pretty fun, if buggy and extremely difficult.  I have begun to play this in order to tide myself over until the next DF release...

Check out the devs' page:   Incursion page.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: New Roguelike: Incursion (0.6.0B)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

It would be cooler if you got to make your character just like D&D, picking out items and whatnot.   I can't wait until the overworld is added in, and perhaps more races.   It's pretty nifteroo though.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

Wow, it must be becoming very popular: I downloaded it a few days before this topic following a link from the Temple of the Rougelike (http://www.roguetemple.com/) It's very fun. Just lost my most recent human fighter to some random moster when I became stuck in a pile of rubble. I should have taken the long way around.  :(

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

I'm not really a fan of the D20 system, but it might work for a roguelike. I'll have to test this later when I have time.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 04:46:00 am »

It is too buggy to be playable at the time.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grue:
<STRONG>It is too buggy to be playable at the time.</STRONG>

Examples?  I've not encountered any bugs, really.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:11:00 am »

Well yes, Incursion made quite a stir in roguelike world. I hadn't known about its development prior to release at all. While lot of rogulikes are announced and end up vaporware, this game looks pretty solid.
It's fiendishly difficult, needs some polish wrt game balance (From what I've read sneaky characters or self-buffing priests fare better than barbarians I've been trying so far) and allies AI (friendlies happily attempt to shoot through you), but certainly has a great potential.
The game will occasionaly crash to desktop, but it autosaves often and saves rarely get corrupted.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 06:26:00 am »

It's much more reliable than many other roguelikes. It's playable and fun - if somewhat hard. I like it. Also, when bugs DO happen, you actually get the choice if you want to Continue or Exit!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

This is fun. I'm not a big fan of the system, but it works well for a roguelike, and I'm anxious to see what people do with it when/if the script compiler is released. I always thought a text-based engine could handle tabletop systems better than graphics.

The only time it's crashed for me is when I try to use sunder on a door, and when I tried mucking around with resources in wizard mode. Probably because most of them aren't meant to be applied to weapons and such :P

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

How do I run RAR files?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 03:06:00 am »

Rar files are similar to zip files. You need WinRAR or something similar to extract them. http://www.rarlab.com/
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

I've now played Incursion for some time and I must say that it has a lot of potential. The learning curve is a bit high, especially if you are not used to the D20 system, but the game itself is worth the trouble. The character creation is lovably deep, the battles actually fun to fight (Well... at least if it isn't just another Crawling Claw flood) and dungeon exploring doesn't get boring fast, mainly due to the game describing each out-of-ordinary room and corridor to the player.

The biggest annoyances right now are the bugs, even though I've run across only a few. And being flooded with pointless magic items. Seriously, is it just me and my Luck modifier, or are half of the items I come across magical?

What worries me the most at the moment is that did the author really manage to dodge all the legality traps by WotC. I wouldn't want to see this project crushed because of it.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

I like all the magic items, that's really my main draw to the game ;p  Character creation is nice but I'm a little lost trying to plan out a character.  Revive feature is nice to keep the deaths from being too frustrating.