Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: All Dwarves Are Bastards (But Some Less So Than Others)  (Read 88693 times)

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All Dwarves Are Bastards {Now with added Community!}
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 03:52:52 am »

Name:Flint, Merchant of Death
Proffesion:Hunter
Skills:5 Marksdwarf, 3 Ambusher, 2 Animal trainer
Items:A dog or puppy or anything that can be trained as a hunting dog
Personality:Flint really loves killing things

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 10:24:41 am »

Name: Vidar, that other guy
Profession: Carpenter
Skills: 2 Woodcutter/2 Carpenter/2 Bowyer/2 Axedwarf/2 Marksdwarf
Items: Some of his favorite booze if he has one, otherwise just some booze. Also some armour and weapons if possible.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 01:46:17 am »

Bloody hell that filled fast.

If you plan on getting migrants:

Name: Nym
Profession: Tanner, Leatherworker, Gem Cutter, Gem Setter, Animal Trainer, Animal Caretaker
Preferred Personality Traits: Likes Intellectual Discussions, Has artistic sensitivity, is somewhat reserved.
Backstory: Nym is an older dwarf who left his/her original home after an embarrassing incident involving a bear tamed by him/her and the Countess Consort's unusual fetishes. Now s/he is simply looking for a quiet place to settle down and hide away from the overly-grateful Countess and her Bear Consort. Preferrably a place where people don't ask too many questions.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 05:06:54 pm »

Bloody hell that filled fast.

If you plan on getting migrants:

Name: Nym
Profession: Tanner, Leatherworker, Gem Cutter, Gem Setter, Animal Trainer, Animal Caretaker
Preferred Personality Traits: Likes Intellectual Discussions, Has artistic sensitivity, is somewhat reserved.
Backstory: Nym is an older dwarf who left his/her original home after an embarrassing incident involving a bear tamed by him/her and the Countess Consort's unusual fetishes. Now s/he is simply looking for a quiet place to settle down and hide away from the overly-grateful Countess and her Bear Consort. Preferrably a place where people don't ask too many questions.

"My eyes, ze burn! Ze goggles, ze do nothing!!"
 ;D

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 05:34:38 pm »

Jamni, I know want to join this fortress.

Name: Strife (as always)
Profession: Brewer

Strife is suprisingly health concious and promotes everyone to drink lo-cal drinks, like Vodka.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 05:43:51 am »

Whoo! Migrant!

Name:Kornash
Profession: Swordsdwarf (preferably in a high 'rank' among the military)
Preferable Gender: Male
Preferable Personality: Is quick to anger, is assertive, is rarely happy or enthusiastic, has a strong sense of duty, tends to avoid crowds, possesses great willpower, does not display his own emotions and has no awareness of them.

(I don't really mind if they have none of these traits but it'd be REALLY cool if they did, just for the sake of the story)

Forced to witness the bloody murder of his family before his eyes as a child, Kornash grew up filled with hatred not only for goblins, but also elves and humans. He wholeheartedly believes that only dwarves are fit to live on this world. Since his childhood incident, Kornash has trained with swords and armor on his own in secret. Upon hearing of this expedition he finally found a way that he could use his talents for good. Although he is somewhat unskilled with his weapon of choice, he is a fast learner and his seeming lack of emotion makes him a ruthless soldier.

Yay for history!

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

- CHAPTER NINE AND A HALF: What. -

Dwarven Cooking 202, by Fatman

Preface
Alright, get it over with.

Yes, you may laugh freely at my name. I know you were thinking about it. I'm long over it, so we might as well deal with the general hilarity and move on straight away. By the time you're reading this, that "stupid" name will be selling millions of copies world wide and putting your mining efforts to shame. Nobody will remember another Urist, Miner, but my old nickname will spread like uncaged cats.

The story behind the name is unfortunate, but simple. My hair growth didn't start until late into puberty when I was seventeen years old, rather than the usual age of four days. My peers thus made the witty observation that instead of looking like a dwarf, I looked like a "short, fat man". The short was dropped for brevity and the nickname stuck well into adulthood.

Here's a fun fact: Did you know that in the time you just spend laughing, you could have brewed TWO barrels of ale? It's much faster than you think when you the know the proper technique. The simplest things ARE important, and so for my first two chapter's I'll be reviewing both ...

Special Feature! But who can I trust?
... Of course, every brand wants you to think they're the tastiest, freshest etc. But how do you know which to trust? Trying them all is expensive and time consuming, but there is one way to narrow down the field: The name. Yes, it IS possible to judge a book by it's cover, and even a packet of frozen cat meat. "Fresh Frozen Daily Cat" sounds fresh, but to the trained eye there's obvious wiggle room for interpretation. Let me share an anecdote to help explain:

Once while I was still gathering and testing recipes for this book, I met a dwarf calling her Lady Ruins. She claimed to be archeologist. It makes sense, right? But, see how it actually held out. Ruins was a new member of the Exploratory Mining Guild, but had already risen high enough to mount her own expedition. I assumed she had family in the business or some other connections. Anyway, she was recruiting members to investigate rumours about old, dwarven ruins underground far to the north. Being short on cash, and hoping to learn about older techniques, I signed up. Before long Ruins had filled out party and pockets and we were off.

Aside from our mostly enigmatic leader and my charming self, there were five other dwarves. Kragus seemed overly eager to find the literal bones of any mysterious ancestors. Ivanor's motives were similar to mine, hoping to learn about ancient designs and mechanisms. Flint didn't speak much except to gleefully discuss the possibility of hostile beasts and ancient guardians; I gathered from Ruins he would be our first protection against such. Vidar really liked wood, so why he was even in the Exploratory MINING Guild is anyone's guess. I think he was just happy to be allowed in. Worst was The Tax Collector, some unbearable official who insisted on tagging along to ensure the king elect had his cut of any valuable findings. One moment he'd be waving contracts in our faces and the next he'd be standing stony silent, just watching us.

Did I mention Vidar really liked wood? Lady Ruins didn't fund that, Vidar just lugged it along himself "just in case". I didn't ask. What Ruins did fund was mostly standard supplies. I'd be starting a farm for further food and drink, while Kragus would produce crafts we could trade for the rest of our weapons. Flint insisted on ammo, so Ruins bought one. Flint cuddled it at night. Most of the dogs were for breeding. I don't know where the cat came from. Ruins seemed fond of it, if not it her.

We arrived at the site sometime later. Our final destination was reasonably high up a steep cliff, so we had to carry everything up by hand rather than use a wagon. Lady Ruins and Kragus were just starting to dig out an area to store our food (nevermind the bloody wood) when Vidar sort of squeaked and pointed northwards. I turned to look downhill and saw ...

Goblins. Dozens of goblins. They even a demon with them. Now, we were still in a tenuous peace with their race at that time, but it didn't take long for The Tax Collector to helpfully chime in that this was one of their forbidden sacred sites we were trespassing on. If they found us, they'd kill us, and probably claim it as valid ground to break the alliances our king elect had worked years to forge. All because our leader screwed up her map work or something.

So you see, Lady Ruins was not in fact a lady who enjoyed ruins, but a lady who would bring OUR ruin.

Or so we thought anyway until a friendly goblin fishery worker just laughed at our mistake and offered us in for a cold mug of ale while their prisoners helped store our supplies.

[Author's Note: AND THEN FATMAN WOKE UP INSTANT RETCON. Did someone say world regeneration time?]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:31:59 am by OneMoreNameless »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 01:53:08 pm »

World regeneration time.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 04:20:54 pm »

World regeneration time.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 05:45:51 pm »

What the bloody!?

HIT THE RESET!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 06:01:11 pm »

May I suggest editing goblins in the raws so that they have [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN] in place of [INTELLIGENT]?  This removes the [CAN_SPEAK] tag, making them always at war with you.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 12:59:14 am »

Gah! Wait, better yet, do that with the elves. Then give carp [Can_CIV] even though it may cuase a crash.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 04:27:56 am »

I already like where my characters going well done  ;D

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 08:24:16 am »

So let me get this straight. Every time I embark on a goblin fortress, regardless of how hostile I've seen goblins be in other fortresses within that world, the goblins will be friendly (and turn out to be 80+% human population, for that matter).

This sucks. Is there anyway to force hostility on embark? I had this perfect little location (well, what I envisaged anyway) and everything, plus I can't say I'm looking forward to messing around with the raws to get things happening. :(

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008, 12:55:52 am »

I'm not sure what you could do, modifing the intellegent tag is pretty easy for a modification though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18