Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any free standing cool rpg like games to mess with till  (Read 4493 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Any free standing cool rpg like games to mess with till
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »

Any good ideas? i been messin with ultima 7 for the past week.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
Re: Any free standing cool rpg like games to mess with till
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

Tonnes     :)

Here's a selection of my favorite Roguelike RPGs.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: An incredibly smooth roguelike experience. Very intuitive and easy to pick up.
Crayon Level.

Gearhead 1: A rather cool roguelike where you play a mecha pilot in a far future post-apocalyptic wasteland. Take on jobs, upgrade your mechs and discover your past.
Pencil Level

ADOM: Initially hard to get into, but I find it a lot deeper than most other roguelikes.
Feather Quill Level

NetHack: A trade off between fun and complexity, in my opinion. If you hurry up and play it today, all your characters will have high luck scores, as its a full moon tonight.
Pencil Level

Tales of Middle Earth Online: A true multi-player roguelike. Adventure with others in a shared world.
Pencil Level

I have neglected to mention Angband... Chisel and Tablet Level

Or, if you're not so much into the roguelikes... Play BioShock or something     :)

Also: GLFrontier, AKA Elite II. A space trading game of such mind breaking awesomeness it makes me smile...
Take off from Mars, jump to Barnard's Star, buy Robots, Jump back to Earth, swoop down through the atmosphere to land in New York city, sell robots, enjoy!
Level 2 Military Hyperdrive Level

[ August 28, 2007: Message edited by: LSTAR ]

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Elven_ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/chabrik/
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

"Incursion" absolutely rocks; the best RPG mechanics in a computer game EVER.
http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

(though I highly recommend joining Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/incursion-l) and getting the latest 0.6.2C prerelease).

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

Just tried Incursion for the first time, on your recommendation. I like it! Its a really good implementation of the D20 system. I especially like the room and combat descriptions.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:09:00 pm »

If you like Ultima VII, you can try Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome, which has a similar style without most of the annoying quirks of ultima's elderly interface.
Teudogar
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is definitely worth your time.

And yes, I would call it an RPG.

Elven_ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/chabrik/
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by LSTAR:
<STRONG>Just tried Incursion for the first time, on your recommendation. I like it! Its a really good implementation of the D20 system. I especially like the room and combat descriptions.</STRONG>

And it makes you forget most of the stuff you ever learned about roguelikes  :). For an example, heavy tanker chars tend to die easily, high dex fighters fare quite well, and rogues are the best.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

Teudogar

looks good how good is the demo or do you own it? is it worth the buying price?

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

mazecrawl is a good RPG
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

Personally I can't get enough of Unreal World: http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html.

It's got RPG elements, but I'd probably describe it more as a 'survival sim'. I just love the whole concept of running around in a huge world doing whatever you feel like. (Though I think I think I would love it a lot more if it you didn't have to pay for the full version...   :( )

Another reason I like it is it's kind of what I imagine DF's adventure mode could be like once Toady is able to focus on it for a few updates. Running around strangling things gets old after awhile, and I personally can't wait till there's other things to do like fishing, crafting. etc.

[ September 13, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 06:40:00 am »

Incursion is excellent, just the thing to tide me over till the next version of DF is released!

Ed: I've been playing UnReal World for a few hours, and wow, its amazing! The control system threw me a bit at first, but the character possibilities and environmental interaction mechanics are really superb!
Hehe, just now I came across some old man, walking in the forest. I killed and butchered him for 120+ pieces of meat, then cooked him up! Bwahahha!!!

[ September 16, 2007: Message edited by: mikefictiti0us ]

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

Whoops, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

Teudogar seems pretty good from the demo, and I've bought it, but I haven't got it yet. So use discretion. You can play around in the demo with most things, except the plot won't advance, so give that a shot.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

UnReal World is awesome. I probably won't buy it just yet, since it seems like it's not very complete. (I asked the Rune Singer to sing for me, and he said "I won't sing in this version" and something about needing a poem generator? Totally blew the immersion.) The interface needs a lot of polishing, too. But the gameplay is really good, DF would benefit from that kind of variety and complexity.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

How do I get Incursion to run?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>UnReal World is awesome. I probably won't buy it just yet, since it seems like it's not very complete. (I asked the Rune Singer to sing for me, and he said "I won't sing in this version" and something about needing a poem generator? Totally blew the immersion.) The interface needs a lot of polishing, too. But the gameplay is really good, DF would benefit from that kind of variety and complexity.</STRONG>

UnReal World is currently going through some growing pains; the author's last major release ported the game from DOS to Windows, and also changed the way the worldmap works significantly, and then there were a couple bugfixes after that, with many features included in the old version currently nonfunctional due to the change.
Unfortunately, Sami doesn't provide progress reporting like Toady does, so it's uncertain when the next release will arrive. He is active on his forums, though, so he probably hasn't abandoned the project.

Pages: [1] 2