Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any free standing cool rpg like games to mess with till  (Read 4496 times)

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any free standing cool rpg like games to mess with till
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 09:39:00 pm »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:32:05 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »

You extracted it? All my download is a single RAR file.....
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 11:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aribar Hunter:
<STRONG>
As for that UnReal World... Is the plot the only thing missing from the trial version? I mean, I won't try to build a house and get, "Sorry! You need to pay to build a sauna!" or something like that? That and the lack of a manual (from a quick glance over their site) kinda disinterested me from that game, but I think I'll give it another look.
</STRONG>

Don't let the lack of a manual bother you, the commands are actually pretty easy to learn: '?' for help, 'Shift+S' for skills, 'i' for inventory and F1 for the in-game encyclopedia will point you to everything you need to know when you're starting out. As for the plot, you make your own. The game is completely freeform - the restriction is that each character only lives ten days (game time) unless you register.

That's not so much of a restriction for a new player though, chances are at first you won't survive that long anyway, and it still gives you enough time to try out all sorts of things, like building a trapline and trading furs or hunting Njerpez warriors or slaughtering villages or just surviving awhile in winter without freezing and starving. (pro tip: your fellow humans are made of tasty meat)

Yes it has some flaws but it really is an amazingly addictive game, it's just too bad that 1) you have to pay so much for it, 2) paying for it is made needlessly difficult by an annoying 'no free email' policy, and 3) as Cosmonot said, Sami doesn't keep his faithful followers in the loop the way Toady does - he'll post an update every now and then and bugfixes when they're needed but as far as I know doesn't spend every waking moment either implementing new features or thinking of even more fantastic ones to add later, probably years down the road. It's almost like he thinks there are other things that are more important or something.   :(

Sometimes when I play URW, I like to imagine about what it could become with someone with even half of Toady's vision and drive at the helm - that's why as much as I love Fortress mode, it's Adventure mode where all my dreams of the game to one day make all other games obsolete are at.

[ September 17, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

I bought 3.x of Unreal World, which is discounted as opposed to buying the whole game, forever. It was a good deal, because I've gotten two more releases and updates to that version.

That being said, the growing pains mentioned are not over yet. Still, it is a lot of game, truly. I especially like the Caves that were recently re-added: I find them more entertaining then towns; they can be like huge houses you don't have to build. Minus the proper stove.

I totally agree with you, Solara. I too love Fortress Mode, but a fully completed Adventurer Mode is what I really dream about. And both fully completed even more then that! I believe some mention was made to eventually having other modes; like building human towns or wizard towers. Wizard Towers! Now I REALLY like that! I imagine Dungeon Keeper in a persistent world... Incredible!

That... Teugogar... Damn, I forgot how to spell it already. That game looks good; I might look into it soon!

I'd suggest, because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, somebody trying the demo of Mount & Blade. While the game isn't finished yet and what is there is only entertaining for so long, there are an incredible amount of mods and my personal favorite (Calradia at War) is polished and better with every release.

What M&B is about right now is incredible combat, however, and it appears that the combat is finished or very close. Every fight I've had in the game rings back in my memory; it's extremely epic and anything but random. Once, after being dismounted, I was being charged at by three or so Khergit on horseback, with bows and lances and the like.

They would charge at me, bloody me up and shoot me but every time one got close enough it got a Halberd in the face. As for how it turned out? No... I got captured, but it was an incredible battle and I forgot exactly how many of them I took down with me.

Oh, and GearHead was mentioned! I'd second that game. Extremely entertaining and even if you love and adore ASCII graphics, do try the graphical SDL version for a while; the portraits and artwork are incredible. The game attracted many talented artists. If you get bored of GH1, try GH2 for a bit. It's a little buggy and not finished but it looks to be one hell of a game.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>I bought 3.x of Unreal World, which is discounted as opposed to buying the whole game, forever. </STRONG>

That's the best way to do it, especially while there's still a long way to go till the next big upgrade. I made the mistake of buying the last version when it was at like 2.9, I should have waited a little longer. Though even if I say down another $10 for 3.x it'll still be cheaper than the full version and I've probably already more than gotten my money's worth...

EDIT:

Also, seconding everyone who's recommended Incursion. It's a great game with a lot of unique elements even if there are still some bugs and balancing issues that need to be ironed out. It's joined Nethack and Dungeon Crawl in the roster of roguelikes I'll obsessively cycle through every other month of so, even though I've yet to actually beat one.

[ September 17, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

I've just got into playing 'BatMUD' about a week ago.  It is a lot like Dwarf Fortress.  Ascii overhead map, detailed locations, dozens of races, tons of cool weapons and items and a dynamic world with weather, and seasons.

They also just released a new, free, Client program for download.  It really makes playing a MUD so much better.  This is probably the game I've seen that closes resembles DF and I highly recommend it.  I'm addicted already!

Read my review at DungeonDelve.net

Play the game: BatMUD

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

I found out about DF at the urw forums, i loved it then found DF in the forums maybe ill check it out again in a few years, when sami has done something, if adventure mode ever gets finished i may never play another game again.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

Failing any of that stuff you could try a few rpgmaker games like A Blurred Line or The Way though those two will likely drive you crazy for similar reasons because they both leave you begging for more.

[ October 02, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Pages: 1 [2]