Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decoration control  (Read 1028 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decoration control
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:50:21 pm »

so I want my gem cutter to decorate only furniture (ammo seems to be a waste and so do "finished goods")  but I do not want my gem setters to set gems on barrels and bins, I want them to set things on beds/armorstands/weaponracks/doors and other things, the idea is to have high value items for my nobles rooms
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decoration control
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:50 pm »

If you want everything on one specific thing, you can lock that furniture, the gems, and the jewel setter into the same room and keep the door shut until the job is done.

If you have a lot of materials to work with you can adjust your stockpiles so that the items you want to decorate are close to the workshops. The items you do not want to decorate are on the other side of the map, far away. When decorating they will just grab the closest item they can decorate.

koofle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:06:28 am »

Will proximity help with controlling other operations too, like cooking, masonry or stonecrafting? Or is it best to have a workshop/kitchen in a secluded room surrounded with a web of organised stockpile rooms with selectively lockable doors?

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:57:01 am »

Proximity helps, but it isn't perfect because when a dwarf takes the job, he'll snag the item that's closest to him at the time, not necessarily the item that's closest to the workshop.  Lockable doors are the best way.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:51:11 am »

Proximity helps, but it isn't perfect because when a dwarf takes the job, he'll snag the item that's closest to him at the time, not necessarily the item that's closest to the workshop.  Lockable doors are the best way.

And perhaps a hole in the ceiling you can use to throw food, booze, furniture, and gems into?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.