Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MMORPG Football game!  (Read 3725 times)

Addled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MMORPG Football game!
« on: April 11, 2008, 01:44:00 am »

They're just now doing the beta. Pretty awesome game especially if you love football and need something for the offseason. Graphics are simple but I doubt that'll bother you too much if you're here anyway. Its free to play but you can spend money to boost your players 3 times a season if you want. (ends up being between 3 and 9 dollars every 40 days if you do it as much as you can.)

here's the link http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=1348918

yes it's a referral link that gives me bonus points if you sign up. you can check it out without useing it but it'd be nice if you would.

Hope to see you guys there.

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: Addled ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: MMORPG Football game!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

I really thought that certain Genres couldn't be made into MMORPGS. I was wrong.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Addled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

Haha same here. The funny thing is the only reason I found this game is because I was thinking of making it. Then I found someone else had already done the work for me.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

Certain genres can't be made into mmo's.

Sports is one of them. Except, for some reason, golf and bowling.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

It reeeally depends on your definition of RPG.

This is an MMO, no question there (well I guess SOME question, how massive is massive?) but for tons of players on the server, well, yeah it has that.

As for RPG, well, sorta.  It's a game with stats for individuals, that go up with experience and you have some control over the way they grow.  How is that not an RPG?

Answer: It goes more into 'wargame' territory.  Is Blood Bowl an RPG or a sports/wargame?  You have players, they gain experience...they get killed off and replaced with frequency...  still RPGish.  What about Warhammer, where Blood Bowl it derived its setting?  Not RPG as they don't gain experience.

In modern parlance "RPG" seems to mean something where in-game individuals gain abilities over time.  Which this is.  Or specifically, a system where your match with Bob has direct influence on your match with Joe the next day.

If an expert player who makes a new character/team/etc and plays it for ten hours has an advantage over an expert player with a totally new team, well, it's an RPG.

Even saw an RPG mode in a Quake 1 mod (Future versus Fantasy) where you gain levels and keep them through maps, even if they're not saved on the server...  Still definately RPG.  And then there was King of the Server for Quake 2, which DID save your stats on the server.

It's enough to make me wonder why RPGs are so popular.  They take a simple system and then force the player to invest massive amounts of time in order to keep up.  On the other hand, when you're successful you get rewarded long-term...  Convincing substitute for real life I guess.

I should stop ranting.  This game looks neat.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Well, made a Center named Urist Olokdomil

Im not even sure if Olokdomil means anything in Dwarf, but Olok means something for sure.

GODDAMN thier server is slow.

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

Does it degenerate to repeatedly kicking balls into a goal guarded by a 20 foot monster in an attempt to get high tier kneepads?

Addled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

They've been working on getting the servers fixed. It mainly gets slow around game time. They have something like 1024 teams and still need more. The creators are amazed at the growth of the game and are doing everything they can to work out the kinks.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Is this American Football, or Soccer Football?

Either way, Sports are the worst thing to happen to mankind since High School Musical.

Why do all the stupid ideas get MMOs?  Why can't we have a The Godfather(You know there's a problem when the official game of the movie has a more engaging and emotionally moving storyline than the movie, I wonder if the book is any good.) MMO or a Call of Cthulhu MMO?  We have like 8000 Fantasy Anime-style MMOs, get rid of some of them to make room for innovation...

Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Is this American Football, or Soccer Football?

Either way, Sports are the worst thing to happen to mankind since High School Musical.

Why do all the stupid ideas get MMOs?  Why can't we have a The Godfather(You know there's a problem when the official game of the movie has a more engaging and emotionally moving storyline than the movie, I wonder if the book is any good.) MMO or a Call of Cthulhu MMO?  We have like 8000 Fantasy Anime-style MMOs, get rid of some of them to make room for innovation...</STRONG>

You shouldn't blame football for World Of Warcraft's ability to make every other so-so developer think they can make an MMO.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

I will blame whoever I want for whatever I want.  In fact, I have evidence that Charlton Heston created bubonic plague.
Shoes...

Addled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

In case anyone was waiting for it new season just started. They added 1024 new teams so players are in high demand.