Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The rush!  (Read 1855 times)

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
The rush!
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:07:12 am »

I've had this one in my head for awhile, just thought I'd share it.

Kadol heard someone yelling loudly as she awoke. What was it? She got up, looking over at her cat in the corner of the room. It had spotted a baby snatcher two months before, and had been quite a celebrated feline for many years. For now, she slept. Kadol moved to her cabinet when she heard more yelling. What is it? She thought, moving toward the door. Suddenly, Bomrek burst through the door, an amazed look on his face, like a child before it receives its presents on its birthday.
"It's the miners! They have found something!"
Kadol thought fast. Now, it was important.
"In the south mines!"
         Kadol was off, running out her door down the market district. people were running from their shops and dropping merchandise on the floor, running like mad. She ran past old Zaneg's cloth shop, where she often sat and talked to his customers. No one was there. She Ran fast past the forges, where her husband worked. He was one of the best weapon smiths in he world some thought, but that brief stint before his "Enlightenment" Where he nearly starved to death due to complete focus on finishing his prized battleaxe. No one even worked the forges now. As the halls narrowed, she heard the beating of footsteps against the ground. She briefly saw inside the kitchens and brewery, where the only sign of people nearby was the plates of food and barrels dropped on the ground as the cooks and brewers learned of the news. Had they discovered the metal that her husband had talked on and on about to her, and its mystical properties?
         As she entered the mines, she saw a drunk hobbling forward, even he was trying to run. passing him as he tripped,(Most likely for the umpteenth time) she finally entered the huge, hollowed out space known as the souther mines. There was a huge group of dwarves huddled around a single point, two miners, with accomplished looks on their faces. She saw a hint of blue behind them.
"Ladies an gentledwarves, here is our grand discovery!"
"We have struck Microcline!"
The crowd fell silent. Then: a single voice.
"Armok damn it, Urist!"
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: The rush!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:17:56 am »

I figure that's pretty much what happens every time my miners start looking for ores.  They find every other useless stone in the mountain and have a huge unveiling.

Sometimes I think they're just making up stones to seem productive, lazy dorfs. 

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:30:24 am »

I don't care about the Armok-Damned Puddingstone Urist! stop interrupting my meal every 5 seconds, it's not as amazing as you think!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:33:15 am »

But puddingstone tastes like dessert! ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:16:54 am by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:51:12 am »

It's even better when you've made a mistake in your stockpiles and your dwarves literally start rushing to haul the useless stone around.

Snuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:55:25 pm »

Hah!  Nice one, so true...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:25:32 pm »

Then, when HFS happens, no one will be alarmed.

'They' created Microline (and to a lesser extent, other stones) to lull you into a false sense of security.

Even the avatars expire eventually.