Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do (or did) you play Dwarf Fortress?

I play with an unmoded ASCII character set and always will
I have a slightly modded ASCII set and/or some creature graphics
I used to play in ASCII but now that I've tried graphics I couldn't get back to it
I couldn't get into the game before I've tried a full graphics set
I play with and without graphics, depends on my mood
Until a proper graphics support is included, I'm playing in ASCII
I refuse to play the game until proper graphics are included
Joke option: Armok

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: User Interface: a question to all players  (Read 4289 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: User Interface: a question to all players
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 02:50:24 pm »

Im so used to ascii now that i would only play DF with gfx if it came with an incorporated gfx set I think.

It's probably just laziness on my part though,  nothing to do with not wanting graphics, just I dont really need them enough to bother dl'ing a set.
Seconded
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 02:59:36 pm »

I've tried a couple different graphic sets, and I wasn't remotely pleased with any of them.  Partly because they're pretty low resolution (if you want it to be playable), partly because the engine doesn't support comprehensive tilesets so everything gets all mixed up, and partly because especially after years of NetHack my brain is trained to understand the ASCII too well to accept anything else.

That is not to say I would refuse any sort of graphics, but it would have to be something pretty spectacular, i.e. way in the future.  And even then, losing the imagination power of it all would take away some of the magic.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 03:41:24 pm »

I always play with graphics.  Otherwise, the game is just indigestible gibberish.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 04:16:45 pm »

I've held off on graphics tile sets, as I was initially wary of doing much to the raw files for fear of a typo screwing things up, and by the time I overcame my nervousness I was mostly used to the ASCII interface. Might try Mike's tileset after the next big save-compatibility break though.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:27:07 pm »

What option should I pick if I use graphics for creatures, but ASCII for everything else?  I don't like graphics appearing in the middle of names, you see.  But I do want the graphics.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 04:30:43 pm »

Second option, I guess.
<3

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 07:22:13 pm »

The problem I have with the graphics sets is that I play with a vast amount of custom modifications to the raws, especially the creatures. So it just wouldn't seem right to play with an amazingly detailed graphics mod when all of a sudden a giant 'r' comes along and eats half my dwarves.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 07:31:31 pm »

Graphics if I want it to look kind of nice, but ASCII is easier to work with at the moment.  So I switch between the two randomly.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 07:33:21 pm »

Mayday set makes for pleasing on the eyes.  And now a lot bigger screen too without mucking with it.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Mostly graphicset, though I've got enough mods that I've still got a bunch of ASCII running around - luckily, whatever's in the Mayday pack makes that a lot cleaner, too.  I've got nothing against ASCII but A - default's not square, which screws with my ability to figure out sizes and B - my eyes do this thing where too much ASCII makes my head swim because my eyes try to read the letters on every tile at once, and I only have two of them.  I seriously get like, really nasty headaches.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 12:31:38 am »

I play with ASCII (though with a tiny square tileset since I'm OCD about rooms and having a huge screen). DF was the first ASCII game I got into, and I found it only slightly difficult to understand the ASCII.
Most of my problems were just game mechanics, like not knowing that I was digging into soil instead of rock because I never bothered to loo[k] at the walls, and then getting confused because I couldn't smooth my dirt walls. And not knowing how to get to the [l]abors screen. The ASCII was the easy part.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 01:08:24 am »

ASCII, because I am to lazy to relearn what stuff looks like.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 01:47:52 am »

I always found the the ASCII in Dwarf Fortress much easier and better looking than the graphics, and even prefer it to ASCII in other games.

...but then again I'm the sort of person who reads the entire wiki before playing the game (saved me several times over)
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 03:17:49 am »

I play with ASCII.  It's the way I definitely prefer it; having to relearn not just the tiles, but which characters are now pulling double-duty in other locations (e.g. regular text now has symbols, the site selection is incomprehensible, etc.) drives me up a wall.  The only time I switched to tilesets - May Green, in fact - was when a bunch of animals were blending in with the background on a particular fort and I used the tileset to more easily locate the little bastards.

That having been said, I'd like to thank you on behalf of /tg/ for your tileset. It's the one we recommend to anyone that doesn't know what a roguelike is, or takes one look at the ASCII and feels a blood vessel burst in their skulls.  I grew up on Angband, so ASCII is comfortable for me, but your tileset absolutely helps newer players to the genre as a whole.

I would likely try your tileset full-time once the full tile support goes in (so words don't get screwed up and there aren't a bunch of dressers on the world map), but in the meantime it's a lifesaver when I'm introducing new players.  Thank you for your clean, friendly and intelligible tileset.
Derp.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 05:13:12 am »

I play with an unmoded ASCII character set and always will

I started with unmodded ascii, but moved on.

I have a slightly modded ASCII set / some creature graphics

I have a heavily modded ASCII set, and no creature-graphics (yet).

I used to play in ASCII but now that I've tried graphics I couldn't get back to it

I would have picked this option, but the second half doesn't apply to me: After playing with a modified tileset, I think I would have an EASIER time with default ASCII.

I couldn't get into the game before I've tried a full graphics set
 I play with and without graphics, depends on my mood
 Until a proper graphics support is included, I'm playing in ASCII
 I refuse to play the game until proper graphics are included (graphics whoar!!1)

Nope nope nope nope...

Joke option: Armok

I guess I have to pick this one!
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5