Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do (or did) you play Dwarf Fortress?

I play with an unmoded ASCII character set and always will
I have a slightly modded ASCII set and/or some creature graphics
I used to play in ASCII but now that I've tried graphics I couldn't get back to it
I couldn't get into the game before I've tried a full graphics set
I play with and without graphics, depends on my mood
Until a proper graphics support is included, I'm playing in ASCII
I refuse to play the game until proper graphics are included
Joke option: Armok

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: User Interface: a question to all players  (Read 4290 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: User Interface: a question to all players
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 06:46:04 am »

I play with your set Mayday, and some other graphics for more creatures, the only thing i regret is that  there isn't a 15x15 version (in this case i could have a full view for my screen for nano fortresses)
but i don't always wait until you redo it for newer versions (mostly works too if i just copy it, and some raws in the directory)
Once more thanks for it ;) it is really nice
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 06:48:39 am »

I use the herbthingummy 16x16 tileset these days.  Before that I was used to using the default rectangular ASCII tileset, but I find the square one much easier to designate with (plus you get more on screen) and I slightly prefer the look of the herbdoodah tiles.

I don't use any graphics sets, a misspent youth has left me with complete facility for reading roguelike ASCII.  I don't like flat 2d graphics, but I'd love to see a 2.5d "isometric" style graphical look for DF; I'm not convinced that full 3d graphics would be easy to control - viz Lifevis or whatever it is called, the realtime 3d fortress viewer - nice to look at, but a bugger to navigate around your fort!
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »

"I couldn't get into the game before I've tried a full graphics set"
If I could I would vote for this option twice, once for myself and one for my wife.  (We are both using Mayday's set)

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 05:18:43 pm »

I use the plain ASCII. I don't have any problems interpreting it at all.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 11:25:56 pm »

I use the plain ASCII. I don't have any problems interpreting it at all.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 11:38:08 pm »

Default is playable fine enough for me. I am too lazy to really go through the rigamoroll of figuring out a graphics set that I like. I'm sure it will improve with time, but until that has come, option 1 is what I picked.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 12:51:52 am »

I use slightly modified ascii (I changed the tile sizes a little, and then recentered some graphics)

I tried graphics, but went back to ASCII as soon as I noticed it interfered with some of the real text.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 03:37:43 am »

Glad to see we're not a minority opinion here. I don't understand what's so hard about ascii and personally find it more entertaining. I also like the fact that it scares away other people so they don't ask difficult to answer questions like "what is that?"

"I hacked into that dude's computer bios over there and am now rearranging his harddrive so that all his word documents are transformed into pinball simulators. While he's distracted by the neverending stream of pinball, all these little smiley faces represent e-mail contacts from his Outlook folder and what I'm doing with them is sending them out on little suicide runs to infect other computers via a sophisticated trojan that I placed into his system which in this window is that purple smiley there. It's actually not illegal because I'm not causing any permanent damage as in a few moments, a series of antivirus systems which in this window will look like capital e's will consume the smileys and then they'll grow the system bios back to it's original state with a little parting message saying that his civilization has crumbled to an end. Of course, I've been trying to get the mining script to automate itself but the damned bUzwag0n.exe keeps- hey, where are you going?"

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 08:04:57 am »

Quote from: umiman
I also like the fact that it scares away other people so they don't ask difficult to answer questions like "what is that?"

Keep in mind that fewer DF players equals fewer donations for Toady.  Scaring away potential members of the community is a BAD thing.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:18 am »

Whoa, kinda interesting results so far!  :o

It looks like that lot of voters are preferring graphics over ASCII, and many others are waiting for the graphical support. [Separated text/gfx]
When I first seen this topic, I thought that most of the voters will vote for "I play with an unmoded ASCII character set and always will".
I was completly wrong.  :D

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 12:32:24 pm »

i don't know but for me it is just too hard to see what happens with only caracters everywhere, but hey i was never played with games with only ascii interface becouse i am too young for it, and on the ather hand some symbols on the text aren't a problem, i mean i can guess and anyway in a fantasy world even a bizar character can be one ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 12:43:14 pm »

I don't have much of a problem with the ASCII. The other intelligent races, I think, should be something other than ks and gs and Us,  and seriously E gets used for too many things, but no problem most of the time.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 01:06:10 pm »

It can be hard to see the ascii at first, so DFG8 from mayday got me playing, but overall, i now embrace the ascii. I switch back and forth.

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 01:23:50 pm »

I use a modified ASCII tileset (diagonal walls, better dwarves, but no graphic representation like barrels) and abused the graphics to display creatures as letters with different fonts.

Graphics make DF a lot easier to learn, but once you grasp the game, ASCII is just more beautiful imho.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 04:36:17 pm »

Graphics? Bah! ASCII WILL NEVER DIE!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5