Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do (or did) you play Dwarf Fortress?

I play with an unmoded ASCII character set and always will
I have a slightly modded ASCII set and/or some creature graphics
I used to play in ASCII but now that I've tried graphics I couldn't get back to it
I couldn't get into the game before I've tried a full graphics set
I play with and without graphics, depends on my mood
Until a proper graphics support is included, I'm playing in ASCII
I refuse to play the game until proper graphics are included
Joke option: Armok

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: User Interface: a question to all players  (Read 4291 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: User Interface: a question to all players
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2008, 01:12:32 am »

I voted 1, but I really just don't like any of the sets.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2008, 09:46:26 pm »

I use ascii but creature images. Everytime a new one comes out, I play standard ascii until I start looking at professions every few seconds. Then I copy the creature images back into it.

I might use a different tileset, but I hate having some tiles be used for different things have the same image, when just the ascii looks fine. Example: The left bracket [ is both a workshop square(forget which ones) and the clothes image, so half the workshops look like they have clothes in them when using a tileset. Also, that same clothes tile is also used for shoes and pants, so I get annoyed. With just a [ there is no annoyance.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:02 am »

I've played with the ASCII for years, there's no way I could get used to a graphics set anymore.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:19 am »

My only previous experience with ascii was dabbling with ADOM before I swiftly became bored, so I guess I conquered any ascii fear at that time and thus had little trouble getting into DF. It took longer to accustom myself to the inconsistency of key board controls in the different menus. I've briefly looked at some of the tilesets out there but I feel they are terribly ugly compared to the default, mostly because of the way that DF plays with relative scales of size (sometimes contradictory) on a grid. Having a D standing next to a c is fine, but having a little dragon sprite standing next to a little cat sprite of the same size is rather lame. I've yet to find multi-use symbols being a problem because it's generally easy to tell what's happening via context or a quick "v" scan. I'll admit that such is my prejudice that I wont even bother looking at posted screenshots (either in these forums or in the wiki, etc) if it isn't in ascii, let alone play the game any other way. I can't help but feel that people who haven't experienced the ascii DF game for whatever reason are missing out on truer immersion, but I'm likely wrong. I feel it's a little like the difference between a book (being ascii) and a movie (being a tileset). I generally prefer the books, but I know many people who usually prefer the movies.

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2008, 06:52:21 pm »

I use the default ASCII graphics. I get headaches when I look at graphic packs, for some reaseon.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2008, 07:25:47 pm »

I use the default ASCII graphics. I get headaches when I look at graphic packs, for some reaseon.

Seconded that and I find graphics sets needlessly tardying up what already works perfectly well for me. A sort-of "Don't fix what isn't broke" feel, I guess.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2008, 07:57:23 pm »

Seconded that and I find graphics sets needlessly tardying up what already works perfectly well for me. A sort-of "Don't fix what isn't broke" feel, I guess.

Indeed.

And as far as Roguelikes go, DF have a very good set. Nice how we don't have #'s as walls.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]