Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Urdimkiron Arbostukerrakust, The God-Tomb, Community Fortress  (Read 3762 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urdimkiron Arbostukerrakust, The God-Tomb, Community Fortress
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:25:05 pm »

I'm new to the forum, but I've finally got a hang of all the Dwarf Fortress basics, and I'd like to try a Community Fortress. I've just just started a brand new Fort, with magma, water, and a chasm, and its name is Urdimkiron Arbostukerrakust (Urdimkiron, for short, possibly just Urdim, depending on how much I get tired of typing that beast of a name) Towerhall of the Deified Wave-Tomb, and I have big plans for megaprojects, including, but not limited to: Hourglass-shaped tower forts guarding its entryway, and a massive obsidian spire topped with an electrum globe which will serve as a glorious tomb/water tower.

So, anyone who wants in, I'd love to get some storytelling going. First person to give me good advice on Obsidian farming gets the Fort's second-in-command, currently with the name "Rovod Rūlobok(Submergedpillar)". Also currently up for grabs: A woodworker, a mason/mechanic/architect(designer of all great megaprojects), a jack-of-all-craftsdwarf, a farmer, and a cook/brewer. The basic embark set, essentially. The Expedition Leader is the lovely Zefon Irontalked, to be given a clever name as soon as I can come up with one (suggestions welcome).

By and large, the fort will just be a standard one, with no special circumstances. Except, of course, that all nobles will be slaughtered upon arrival (except maybe the King, if I ever get that far), and every crazy megaproject I or anyone else can think of will be implemented without question.

As I'm new to the whole system, please tell me if there's anything else I should include in the Community Fortress process, and this post will be updated accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:43:04 pm by WJLIII3 »

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urdimkiron Arbostukerrakust, The God-Tomb, Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:28:46 pm »

Expedition Leader Datanmasos stood high atop the mountain, gazing down into the river valley spread out before her. Her faithful aide sat upon a boulder at her side, sketching the basic layout of the area.

"You think this is the one, ma'am?"

"I think it is, Rūlobok. This area has just the right blend for our mission. Even more importantly, we're far, far, away from the Mountainhome, and we can finally be without those accursed nobles interfering with our every action. By Armok, do you remember last time!? All I wanted to do was build a few massive five or six story high statues of our King, and they just wouldn't leave me be! "Build me a green glass window for my bedroom! Build me a dozen gold statues for my tomb!" There wasn't any sand within ten miles of the place! How the hell did they expect me to make glass! And the gold!? Like getting enough gold for my own statues wasn't hard enough!"

Datanmasos stopped ranting and took a few deep breaths.

"Like they even need windows in their bedrooms anyway..." she muttered, "damn nobles live forty feet below the surface... I just want to pay homage to the glory of our Mountainhome and they want underground windows!"

She took another few deep breaths.

"Sorry, Rūlobok. You know the nobles always get me...upset."

"No apology necessary, ma'am."

"So. This place. Have the cartographer's society charted it yet?"

Rūlobok withdrew a number of scrolls from his satchel and pored over them for a few minutes. "Well, ma'am, they don't have it carefully mapped by any means, but the region has been titled 'Urdimkiron Arbostukerrakust'"

"That's...quite the name. That...where on earth do the cartographers come up with these names? On the other hand...Towerhall, you say? That gives me an idea... Udibtosid and I were discussing an architectural masterpiece I've been working on, and he says he knows how to make it work, structurally speaking. Picture this, Rūlobok!"

Datanmasos paused for a long moment.

"Uh, picturing, ma'am."

"A Tower! A Tower which climbs to the sky itself, crafted of gleaming obsidian! It's roots, at the very deepest places of the earth! Atop it, rising even above the clouds themselves, an Orb!"

"An..orb, ma'am?"

"An Orb, Rūlobok! An Orb as wide as a dozen dwarves, forged of purest silver! Look! Look across the valley! Only dwindling hills adorn the landscape for hundreds of miles to the east! In this place, where we now stand, atop this highest peak, my tower will be visible for leagues! All will know the glory of the Mountainhome of Udil Thir!"

"Ma'am, with all due respect, that sounds...completely insane. How will we ever find that much silver?"

"Oh, fear not, we will dig as deep as we must. We will purge this land of all the silver to be found, and if that doesn't do the trick, we'll buy all the rest!"

"And...Udibtosid says this is architecturally viable?"

"His words were something to that effect, yes. The details aren't important, Rūlobok. What's important is that this dream is realized. Now, lets get the men down into the valley. Have them park the wagon somewhere near the river. Do you see those areas?" Datanmasos gestured to two portions of the valley where the arms of the mountains stretched out, creating stretches of lowland pinned in between the steep mountainsides. "We will choose one of those to begin the tunneling.

Strike the earth!"

"Yes, ma'am." With a sigh, "Doc" Rūlobok directed the dwarves to the intended site, then sat down and wearily began drawing up plans for making this virtually impossible tower to be structurally sound.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:24:15 pm by WJLIII3 »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:57:39 pm »

Hey man, if you can write some good story, i'll join in on this community fortress. Don't know much about obsidian farming but i'll take the "jack-of-all-craftsdwarf", except i want to be the record keeper too! you can just name my guy "Josh"

i'll be sure to be lively despite such a mundane position.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:04 pm »

Hey man, if you can write some good story, i'll join in on this community fortress. Don't know much about obsidian farming but i'll take the "jack-of-all-craftsdwarf", except i want to be the record keeper too! you can just name my guy "Josh"

i'll be sure to be lively despite such a mundane position.

Sorry, the second-in-command dwarf has the record-keeping skills, so its kinda a given. He embarked purple, even. But you can be the broker, if you'd like. Fitting, too, seeing as you'd be making most of what you'd be selling. Sorry to shut you down.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:41 pm »

I'll take broker, thats cool, brokers do cool stuff too.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 01:46:58 pm »

I'll join up.  I'm actually building an obsidian city at the moment, so let me get a few screenshots of my current setup, to show you what I think is the best way to do it.

Edit 2: Here it is, and thanks for the spot; I appreciate it.

Alright, here we go:

When farming obsidian, there are two things that need to be kept in mind: reusibility and dwarven safety.  The first in necessary to ensure profitability, the second is not necessarily needed, but most people prefer it.

To start with, make sure your magma pipe is free from fire imps and magma men, or you have a way of taking out the magma without disrupting the little buggers.  This can be done with marksdwarves, or with fortifications carved into the stone next to the boarder of your magma pipe (see figure 1).  Make sure you channel out your magma from above, and then seal the resulting space with a constructed floor.

Figure 1: Safe magma extraction (sideview)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good, now you have an unlimited (I hope?) magma source free of disruptions from wildlife.  Now, we need to build our actual obsidian farm.  First step is to use the channel designation to dig trenches into which the magma will fill.  These trenches need to be dug using the channel designation to ensure dwarven safety.  I suggest each channel be two spaces wide, so that it can be designated all at once, and dwarves will be able to mine it out no matter what (see figure 2).  It's also useful to connect the ends of your channels via diagonals.  Dwarves can walk across diagonals, and magma can flow over diagonals.  So therefore, the dwarves can walk on the level above, and magma can flow on the level below(see figure 3).

Figure 2: Obsidian-making channels (dug out)

Figure 3: Obsidian-making channels(ends)

Now that you have your channels, we need to fill them with magma.  The best way to do this is by finding a narrow spot on the pipe, and simply channeling into that.  Of course, if you have fire imps, that's not an option (see first paragraph).  In any case you will want your infinite source magma to be separated from your obsidian-making trenches by a single tile (see figure 4)  This tile has to be accessible from the level above, so you can channel it out safely.  When channeled out, this will allow the magma to fill your channels(see figures 5 and 6).  It is useful to note here that your obsidian farm should NOT be on the highest level of your magma pipe.  Pipes take time to refill, and therefore the process is slow going if your farm is at the top.  Also, forges on the top level are in danger of shutting off from low lava levels if your obsidian farm is big enough.  This can result in failed moods, and therefore, dead dwarves.  I suggest having your obsidian farm at levels -3 and -4, with your forges below that.  Do what works best in your situation.

Figure 4: Separation of trenches and magma

Figure 5: Magma trenches filled (upper level)

Figure 6: Magma trenches filled (lower level)

Great, now that we have the magma in the trenches, we need water.  The water source will have to be infinite, and therefore will be one of the following:brook/river, cave river, aquifer, or lake/ocean.  Collecting rainwater in murky pools is also possible, but not recommended.  The details of how to get the water from its source to the obsidian farm are left as an exercise to the reader (in the example obsidian farm, an aquifer is used; the farm is below the aquifer, so simple up stairs were enough to tap the water source).  Now, once the water nears your farm, you're going to need some way to shut it off.  Floodgates connected to a lever is the preferred method(see figure 7).  You need these to be right next to your farm, as this will lessen the time it takes to fill the chamber, and allow for easier draining.  The water should be introduced on the same level as the channeling was done, or one level above where the magma resides.  This allows the water to fall on the magma, and doesn't clog up the farm.  When you're ready, pull the lever and make obsidian (see figure 8).

Figure 7: Floodgates and lever blocking the water source

Figure 8: Obsidian being created

Now that your farm is making obsidian, you have a new problem.  Your farm is now underwater(see figure 9).  Most of your dwarves will be unable to swim, and therefore, you can't do anything with your farm.  The solution: drainage.  You're going to need to find some way of getting rid of all that water.  There are several options available to you:

1. Pump the water back to where it came from.  Any infinite source of water also has an infinite source of drainage.  Simply pump the water back into the river/aquifer/ocean, and it will naturally disappear.  (the example farm uses this method)

2. Chasm it.  All chasms/bottomless pits can take as much as you can put into it.  Add a tunnel from your farm to the chasm, and you've got drainage.  Make sure you have a floodgate somewhere along the line, though, so that your water will stick around your farm long enough to make obsidian.

3. Dig out an evaporation room.  When water is 1/7, it will evaporate on its own.  While you could try to micromanage and pull the lever at just the right time to keep your water level low, it's never easy to do so.  An evaporation chamber, separated from your farm via a floodgate (connected to a lever), will allow the water to spread out and evaporate.  As a general rule of thumb, an evaporation chamber should be around 4-6 times the size of your farm, so that even in the worst case scenario (your farm fills to 7/7 water everywhere) it can still evaporate.  This can be a dangerous method, though, as if the floodgates for your infinite water source are open at the same time as your floodgates into the evaporation room, you end up with a lot of water that needs to be pumped out somewhere.  Still, with a little bit of attention, this is entirely preventable.

Figure 9: Flooded obsidian farm

When you start to see dry spots appearing all over your farm, and none of them are being refilled (see figure 10), it's time to harvest your obsidian.  Channel out the magma filling trenches again, save for the last tile which separates the magma from the trench (see figure 11).  The obsidian will appear at the bottom.  An access doorway needs to be dug to the lower level of the farm, so the haulers can get to the stone.  A stone door can be used to access the magma.  It does NOT have to be made out of bauxite, iron, or other magma-safe materiel.  So long as no dwarf steps through that door whilst magma is on the other side, it will be safe.  However, if the door opens for any reason, and magma gets in the doorway, the door will melt.  Lock your doors before filling the trench with magma again.  In any case, stone doors can also be used to get through the walls which your dwarves channel from (see figure 12).

Figure 10: When to harvest the obsidian

Figure 11: Channeling out the obsidian

Figure 12: Access doorways

Once your haulers are done getting all the obsidian out, lock the doors and channel out the separation walls.  Your trenches will fill with magma, and the process will start again.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:34:48 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:58:20 pm »

I'll join up.  I'm actually building an obsidian city at the moment, so let me get a few screenshots of my current setup, to show you what I think is the best way to do it.

Edit 1:
Still working on this guide, it will take a little while longer, but I'm hoping for that second-in-command spot?  Name of Doc, your record keeper, architect, and mechanic.

Edit 2: I have class now, but will finish this up within the next 4 hours.

Alright, here we go:

When farming obsidian, there are two things that need to be kept in mind: reusibility and dwarven safety.  The first in necessary to ensure profitability, the second is not necessarily needed, but most people prefer it.

To start with, make sure your magma pipe is free from fire imps and magma men, or you have a way of taking out the magma without disrupting the little buggers.  This can be done with marksdwarves, or with fortifications carved into the stone next to the boarder of your magma pipe (see figure 1).  Make sure you channel out your magma from above, and then seal the resulting space with a constructed floor.

Figure 1: Safe magma extraction (sideview)

Good, now you have an unlimited (I hope?) magma source free of disruptions from wildlife.  Now, we need to build our actual obsidian farm.  First step is to use the channel designation to dig trenches into which the magma will fill.  These trenches need to be dug using the channel designation to ensure dwarven safety.  I suggest each channel be two spaces wide, so that it can be designated all at once, and dwarves will be able to mine it out no matter what (see figure 2).  It's also useful to connect the ends of your channels via diagonals.  Dwarves can walk across diagonals, and magma can flow over diagonals.  So therefore, the dwarves can walk on the level above, and magma can flow on the level below(see figure 3).

Figure 2: Obsidian-making channels (dug out)

Figure 3: Obsidian-making channels(ends)

Now that you have your channels, we need to fill them with magma.  The best way to do this is by finding a narrow spot on the pipe, and simply channeling into that.  Of course, if you have fire imps, that's not an option (see first paragraph).  In any case you will want your infinite source magma to be separated from your obsidian-making trenches by a single tile (see figure 4)  This tile has to be accessible from the level above, so you can channel it out safely.  When channeled out, this will allow the magma to fill your channels.  It is useful to note here that your obsidian farm should NOT be on the highest level of your magma pipe.  Pipes take time to refill, and therefore the process is slow going if your farm is at the top.  Also, forges on the top level are in danger of shutting off from low lava levels if your obsidian farm is big enough.  This can result in failed moods, and therefore, dead dwarves.  I suggest having your obsidian farm at levels -3 and -4, with your forges below that.  Do what works best in your situation.

Figure 4: Separation of trenches and magma

Oh, you thoroughly earned Rūlobok, that was a wonderful description, thank you. Do you want his name to be Frelock, or do you have another in mind?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 03:16:10 pm »

I lay claim to the designerdorf, name him Gunnlaugur, or if it's her Helga.

Don't have much to add beyond what Frelock said. Do remember he asked for Rūlobok to be named Doc.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Tanase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 03:31:34 pm »

If possible, I'd love to join in, claiming the farmer.

If it's a male, how about the name of Tamaril, or if it's a female, Feyra. Last name can be whatever the game designed. Also, could we get profile shots of the characters, as well as profile shots of their respective dieties?

Keep up the good work.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 04:20:58 pm »

I lay claim to the designerdorf, name him Gunnlaugur, or if it's her Helga.

Don't have much to add beyond what Frelock said. Do remember he asked for Rūlobok to be named Doc.

Thanks for pointing that out. We're now at 4 of 7! more than halfway there. Though, a problem emerges, in that Frelock wants Doc to be an architect, and the designerdorf you just called...also an architect. I see now I should have started the thread before I embarked, but its not really a problem. So, new plan: They're both architects! Gunnlaugur does all the broad fancy concepts of design with the Boss, and then he leaves it to Doc to figure out how to actually work it. More fun for everyone!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 04:24:38 pm »

Yeah, so Doc is essentially the centerpiece upon which all this rests?

Classic second-in-command archetype there.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 04:37:39 pm »

Yeah, so Doc is essentially the centerpiece upon which all this rests?

Classic second-in-command archetype there.

Precisely. Datanmasos has all the big ideas, but they're mostly stupid and/or crazy, and its Docs job to make it all fit. Which he does exceedingly well.

If possible, I'd love to join in, claiming the farmer.

If it's a male, how about the name of Tamaril, or if it's a female, Feyra. Last name can be whatever the game designed. Also, could we get profile shots of the characters, as well as profile shots of their respective dieties?

Keep up the good work.

Players coming right up! (Not sure how to get deities' profiles, though.)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 04:46:48 pm »

May I have the craftsdwarf?
Remne for a male, Rin for a girl.

Tanase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 04:49:08 pm »

The easiest way to view the dieties is to look at the dwarf , go to profile, select relationship, find the diety and press v to view the diety. At least, that's the easiest way I know of.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 04:50:22 pm »

May I have the craftsdwarf?
Remne for a male, Rin for a girl.

Sorry, Josh grabbed him already. Perhaps a woodcutter/carpenter, or the all-important boozemaker?
Pages: [1] 2 3